All times are UTC

Post subject: From the VISX Professional Use Information
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:29 pm 

Professional Use Information
VISX STAR S4 TM Excimer Laser System and
WaveScan WaveFront? System
CustomVueTm Treatments

Quote:
The effects of laser refractive surgery on visual performance under poor lighting conditions have not been determined. It is possible, following LASIK treatment, that patients will find it more difficult than usual to see in conditions such as very dim light, rain, snow, fog, or glare from bright lights at night. Visual performance possibly could be worsened by large pupil sizes or dcecentered pupils.

Pupil size should be evaluated under mesopic illumination conditions.
[WHAT??? YOU MEAN SCOTOPIC, SURELY TO AVOID THE DIM LIGHTING VISION PROBLEMS DISCUSSED ABOVE!]

Quote:
Pre-operative evaluation for dry eye should be performed. Patients should be advised of the potential for dry eye post-LASIK surgery.

Pre-operative ultrasonic pachymetry measurement must be performed.

Post subject: From the VISX Professional Use Information, cont.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:33 pm 

Professional Use Information
VISX STAR S4 TM Excimer Laser System and
WaveScan WaveFront? System
CustomVueTm Treatments

Quote:
2-2 customvue Treatments O0030A130C
The physician's adjustment of defocus has not been studied, and its effects on the safety and effectiveness outcomes of wavefront-guided LASIK are unknown.

The safety and effectiveness of wavefront-guided LASIK surgery has ONLY been established with an optical zone of 6 mm and an ablation zone of 8 mm.The WaveScan e sensor measures the higher order aberrations only over the diameter of the patient's pupil, to a maximum of 6.0 mm. No optical zone diameters other than 6 mm were studied in the U.S. clinical trial.

No higher order aberrations can be measured or treated outside the wavefront measurement region. If the surgeon tries to extend the nominal optical zone beyond the measured wavefront diameter, the nonuniform wavefront transition zone will overlie the attempted spherocylindrical treatment. The safety and effectiveness of setting the
nominal optical zone larger than the wavefront measurement area are unknown.

Higher order aberrations can certainly be CREATED outside the wavefront measurement region! Wake up VISX!

Post subject: NO wonder My vision is messed up
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Truly,
thank you for this information. My pupil sizes were 7mm OD and 7mm - 7.5 mmOS NO wonder my vision is messed up. He used the VISX STAR 4, Custom Treatment on my right eye and conventional on my left due to my manifest prescription on my right of -5.00+1.25x128 OD and on my left of -7.75+1.00x.05.
I was doomed from the beginning and the doctor had to know it. Problem is I do not know how much he really knows. On one follow up visit, I asked him if he had made a nasal hinge or a superior (top) hinge and he said there was only one type of hinge that could be made, a superior (top) hinge. He must have skippped out to play golf or something during some of the training seminars. And how was I supposed to know this? HE is the one who got paid for his knowledge?, experience and expertise and could not even diagnose dry eye in me. I will regret having had lasik the rest of my life. Elvira Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Truly,
Before my lasik, what questions can you ask the doctor if I was never given the FDA mandated Patient's Information Booklet. Okay doctor what does this mean about droopy eyelids? His answer, it has never, ever happened.
When you posted the Visx4 professional use information, I looked up the Patient Information for Visx Wavefront.....had I been provided this information, i would have read it and could have asked what my pupil size was, could have asked what my eye dryness measured. I could have asked so many other things, but when you do not have even the slightest idea, how do you know what to ask? As far as the complications and side effects that MAY happen, I am sure all the doctors are saying the same thing. Never happened. I tried to warn a young lady of 23 about what happened to me. She saw this same doctor and you know what he told her. OH, you are much younger, that lady being older put her at higher risk. Why did he not tell me that I was at higher risk due to my age? He told her that since she was much younger she should have no problems and she went ahead and had the lasik. I think of her quite a bit, because she has 3 small children, and I feel that she will eventually have problems if she hasn't started having them yet. Age does not guarantee you success, even long lasting success, because as far as I am concerned I now consider this to be an experimental procedure which the FDA should be a warning the American public! Now I sit here disabled, and have lost my complete quality of life due to the lies and incomplete truths of a doctor that I trusted!
Elvira Texan