Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dr. Terry Kim, MD damaged my vision - see The LASIK Report!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:55 pm 

LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD of Duke University Medical Center should read The LASIK Report at: http://www.thelasikreport.com , so that he can also begin to understand how an undersized optical zone leads to a degraded retinal image. I struggle to understand whether these surgeons simply can't grasp these concepts, or whether they undertstand them completely and damage patients' vision permanently ANYWAY because it is so darned lucrative for them personally. Either scenario is beyond disturbing.

LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD's office (head Surgeon is Dr. Alan Carlson) misread my pupils at 7.5mm (they are over 8mm) yet he PLANNED a surgery including a 'correction' for astigmatism that left me with a fully corrected zone that is only 5.5mm wide and a very abrupt transition WITHIN my pupil diameter from plano out to over 6 diopters of myopia. Even if his pupil measurements were correct, a 2mm optical zone/pupil size mismatch is a vision-trashing disaster. And my vision is especially trashed because my pupils are easily 8 mm in dim light.

I have different vision at different levels of ambient light. People just don't realize how much ambient light conditions change. Walking through a building, going from outside indoors, the fluctuating brightness on a TV or movie screen... all these things change ambient light. The pupil is very dynamic and the surgically induced aberrations caused by LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD's ill-planned and poorly executed LASIK surgery cause my distortions (starbursts and halos) to shrink and swell dramatically. The vision disturbances are just constantly changing. It is pure hell. No glasses or contacts fix this visual trash.

When I look in closets and drawers I see nothing. Unless I bring a bright light.

I lost my wallet in plain sight. It was a black wallet, sitting on something grey... invisible to me due to loss of contrast senstitivity.

I am visually impaired as a result of my LASIK surgery with Dr. Terry Kim, MD ...in many situations.

Can I be fixed? No. Enhancements to correct poor visual outcomes tend to make patients vision even worse. Besides, LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD used so much tissue in the first surgery he didn't leave me 'room' for an enhancement even if I could have benefitted from one. LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD of Duke University LASER Vision 'Correction' Center didn't bother to tell me my initial surgery was a 'one shot deal'. My corneas are too thin for additional surgery, and my most recent posterior float shows central thinning and forward movement - from red to deep purple since the last scan.

LASIK is not a safe surgery, yet surgeons continue to destroy vision and even lives with absolute reckess disregard to patients health, lifestyle requirements and visual quality.

Don't let LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD or any other surgeon convince you that the new femptosecond or intralase flaps are better, or that wavefront treatments are superior. These new technologies create their own serious complications.

For more information read the 'New Technologies' section in The LASIK Report at http://www.thelasikreport.com .

Post subject: LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim MD should read The LASIK Report!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:42 am 

LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD of Duke Laser Vision 'Correction' Center... should also read 'The Top Ten Reasons NOT to Have LASIK...

TOP TEN REASONS NOT TO HAVE LASIK EYE SURGERY

1. LASIK causes dry eye
Dry eye is the most common complication of LASIK. Corneal nerves that are responsible for tear production are severed when the flap is cut. Medical studies have shown that these severed nerves never return to normal densities. Symptoms of dry eye include pain, burning, foreign body sensation, and eyelid sticking to the eyeball. The FDA website warns that LASIK-induced dry eye may be permanent.

2. LASIK results in loss of visual quality
LASIK patients have more difficulty seeing detail in dim light (known as loss of contrast sensitivity), and also experience an increase in visual distortion at night (multiple images, halos, and starbursts). The FDA website warns that patients with large pupils may suffer from debilitating visual symptoms at night.

3. The cornea is incapable of complete wound healing after LASIK
Researchers found that the flap heals to only 2.4% of normal tensile strength. LASIK flaps can be surgically lifted or accidentally dislodged for the remainder of a patient?s life. For these reasons, the FDA website warns that patients who participate in contact sports are not good candidates for LASIK.

Collagen bands of the cornea provide its form and strength. LASIK severs these collagen bands and thins the cornea, resulting in permanent weakening. The thinner, weaker post-LASIK cornea is more susceptible to forward bulging due to normal intraocular pressure, which may progress to a condition known as keratectasia and corneal failure, requiring corneal transplant.

4. The true rate of LASIK complications is unknown
There is no clearinghouse for reporting of LASIK complications. Side effects occur frequently but are downplayed by LASIK surgeons. Moreover, there is no consensus among LASIK surgeons on the definition of a complication.

5. LASIK results in loss of near vision
Nearsighted patients who do not have LASIK retain the ability to see up close naturally after the age of 40 simply by removing their glasses. LASIK patients over the age of 40 may discover they have traded one pair of glasses for another.

6. There are long-term negative consequences of LASIK
LASIK affects the accuracy of intraocular pressure measurements, exposing patients to risk of blindness from undiagnosed glaucoma.

Like the general population, LASIK patients will develop cataracts later in life. Calculation of intraocular lens power for cataract surgery is inaccurate after LASIK. This may result in poor vision following cataract surgery and exposes patients to increased risk of repeat surgeries. Ironically, steroid drops routinely prescribed after LASIK hasten the onset of cataracts.

7. Bilateral simultaneous LASIK is not in patients? best interest
In a 2003 survey of American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) members, 91% of surgeons who responded did not offer patients the choice of having one eye done at a time. Performing LASIK on both eyes in the same day places patients at risk of vision loss in both eyes, and denies patients informed consent for the second eye.

8. Serious complications may emerge later
The medical literature is filled with reports of late onset LASIK complications such as loss of the cornea due to biomechanical instability, vision-threatening infection, inflammation resulting in corneal haze, flap dislocation, and retinal detachment. Complications may emerge weeks, months, or years after ?successful? LASIK.

9. Rehabilitation options after LASIK are limited
LASIK is irreversible, and treatment options for complications are extremely limited. Hard contact lenses may provide visual improvement if the patient can obtain a good fit and tolerate lenses. The post-LASIK contact lens fitting process can be time consuming, costly and ultimately unsuccessful. Many patients eventually give up on hard contacts and struggle to function with impaired vision. In extreme cases, a corneal transplant is the last resort and does not always result in improved vision.

10. Safer alternatives to LASIK exist
Some leading surgeons have already abandoned LASIK for surface treatments, such as PRK, which do not involve cutting a corneal flap. It is important to remember that LASIK is elective surgery. There is no sound medical reason to risk vision loss from unnecessary surgery. Glasses and contact lenses are the safest alternatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:14 am 

I suppose for LASIK MDs like Dr. Terry Kim, MD and so many others, it is easier to perpetuate the lies that by now flow from their mouths so naturally rather than admit that LASIK has and continues to damage the unsuspecting public.

One ophthalmologist, describing the attitude of his colleagues that perform refractive surgery, put it this way, "After you blinded a couple of eyes, it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal". One refractive surgeon, when asked why he wouldn't have the surgery for his own myopia put it bluntly, "My eyes are too valuable."

When I asked Dr. Terry Kim, MD at my LASIK screening why he wore glasses he said that his corneas are too thin and that's why he still wears glasses. Based on my patient experience where I was lied to again and again by Dr. Terry Kim, MD, I have to wonder whether this is yet another lie. I certainly would not be surprised to find out that Dr. Terry Kim has done LASIK on patients whose corneas are thinner than his. After all, I am sure that the one pair of eyes he views as too valuable for LASIK are his own. He, like so many other LASIK MD's, likely also advise their immediate family members against having LASIK. However, the almighty $ is too powerful for these MD's to have a conscience for people in their own community. They are very comfortable ruining other people's eyes and destroying these people's lives and families. As if this was not pathetic enough, rather than trying to help these patients that they have personally damaged, LASIK MD's proceed to lie to them since to the LASIK MD personally it is not "that big of a deal".

Note that Dr. Terry Kim, MD stated to me during one of my visits that he sees post-LASIK patient's whose eyes look much worse than mine and when he asks them how they feel, they say "fine". Dr. Terry Kim, MD then said he responds with "great".

Basically, Dr. Terry Kim, MD was telling me that if the patient is not complaining, then Dr. Terry Kim, MD sees no reason to notify the patient that he/she has clinical signs of eye problems (ex. dry eye) post-LASIK.

Obviously, this whole LASIK experience has ruined my faith in the eye profession. The LASIK MD's are the biggest problem, but the non-LASIK MD's who see the damage, but view it as their peers' problem and not their professions' issue are also at fault. As one non-LASIK MD told me "jokingly" after I had already been damaged ... "there's a reason why I am still wearing glasses".

I agree with Scientist that Micheal Moore can put together an epic documentary on LASIK. It's good to see that Sicko is doing well. Hopefully he will see the merits of a major LASIK expose that will shine the light on "Sicko LASIK MD's" and the LASIK Industry.

Post subject: You are not Dr. Terry Kim MD's first LASIK casualty
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:18 am 

Eye Pain said:
Quote:
One ophthalmologist, describing the attitude of his colleagues that perform refractive surgery, put it this way, "After you blinded a couple of eyes, it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal".

I'm sorry that your surgeon, Dr. Terry Kim, MD, harmed you - and it's even more regrettable that he wasn't more supportive. Perhaps these LASIK surgeons do become fairly callous about generating LASIK casualties. You are not Duke LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD's first victim as you know.

Post subject: Re: You are not Dr. Terry Kim MD's first LASIK casualty
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:12 am 

Eye wrote:
I'm sorry that your surgeon, Dr. Terry Kim, MD, harmed you - and it's even more regrettable that he wasn't more supportive. Perhaps these LASIK surgeons do become fairly callous about generating LASIK casualties. You are not Duke LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD's first victim as you know.

It?s been said that morality probably arises from a feeling of empathy more than anything else. If you can put yourself in the shoes of another person, you will not do anything to him if you know that your actions will cause him any harm or suffering.

I have learned that LASIK MD?s and even several Ophthalmologists that I have met lack empathy for their fellow man. They can look into the eyes of another person whose life has been ruined by LASIK and feel absolutely no empathy or sense of shock to their conscience from the devastation that they and their field have created.

I have come realize that I should not bear guilt for my decision at the time to trust my fellow man (Dr. Terry Kim, MD) who presented himself to me as an MD/healer. LASIK MD's are not healers. LASIK MD's are damagers of eyes and lives who prostitute their profession and sacrifice members of their community for pure financial gain.

If LASIK MD's and members of the eye community had a moral sense, they would feel guilt and remorse. LASIK victims like Scientist and I represent countless victims who have suffered life-altering complications from LASIK due to lies perpetuated by LASIK MD's.

I hold great contempt for LASIK MD?s and other members of the eye community who either actively, or even through ?radio? silence, further the damage done by LASIK due to both a lack of empathy and lack of conscience.

As is stated by a fellow damaged LASIK patient, ?if a doctor cannot do good, he must be kept from doing harm?.

Post subject: Dr. Terry Kim, MD ruined my eyes - see The LASIK Report!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:58 pm 

Quote:
Note that Dr. Terry Kim, MD stated to me during one of my visits that he sees post-LASIK patient's whose eyes look much worse than mine and when he asks them how they feel, they say "fine". Dr. Terry Kim, MD then said he responds with "great".

How can Dr. Terry Kim, MD, a medical doctor, CREATE ocular surface disease in a healthy eye and live with himself? Eyes are permanently harmed by LASIK, and there is enough evidence in the medical literature now to assure that every current practitioner of LASIK is aware of this fact.

Dr. Terry Kim, MD ruined my eyes and continues to ruin the eyes of other patients - apparently without remorse.

Post subject: Dr. Terry Kim's damaged patients speak out
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:02 am 

Dr. Terry Kim's entire department may be feeling the effects of bad LASIK at Duke, as the person who managed Duke Ophthalmology's departmental finances had a disastrous LASIK outcome at the hand of Dr. Terry Kim, MD, and as a result left the department - taking most of his employees with him.

Soooooo... if things are a bit messed up with deparmental accounting at Duke Ophthalmology these days, everyone should know who to thank.

Kind of a bad idea to mess up on someone IN the department. That sort of thing creates scandal that even 'Risk Management' can't control.

Here are a couple of websites for patients - full of educational material and good reading:

http://www.lasikdisater.com

http://www.lasikcomplications.com