Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2 months after, very upset
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:01 am 

My doctors followup is horrible! Not to mention all the rush before and after. I'm upset about so many things that I don't know where to start.

I guess I'll start in the beginning.

My vision was pretty bad and I had a lot of eye strain. I had given up reading from books or in dim light completely. I could read on the computer with my glasses and was fine to drive with glasses. I had to bring a magnifying glass to restaurants and grocery stores.

What I didn't know and no eye doctor I ever went to told me was that I already had dry eye! I thought it was just eye strain from my glasses not correcting my vision enough!

I started wanting to get lasik over 5 years ago. I went for a consultation with a well known and respected doctor in my area. He said I was a good candidate for the procedure. Things got hectic in my life and I wasn't able to have the procedure at that time.

About a year ago I went to a different doctor and got another evaluation. She said I was a good candidate also. Still, I had other things I had to take care of and put off the surgery again.

So finally about 3 months ago I decided that I had waited long enough and would have the surgery. The doctor I went to a year ago was no longer at that facility. I ran into several people who had the surgery through the original doctor I went to and they were all very happy.

So I went back to him. He again evaluated me and told me I was a good candidate. No mention of dry eyes or allergy complications. I told him that I had allergies and sensitivities to stuff.

On the day of the surgery my new roommate (who also had her eyes done there a few years ago) brought me to the office. She waited in the waiting room for me. They handed me the informed release form telling me the government required them to have me sign it. When I saw it I thought that I probably should have a lawyer look at it before signing, but it was too late for that. After all the trouble I had gone to canceling work and arranging things for this and with my new roommate sitting there I felt I couldn't just stop everything. I wish I had.

The assistant gave me a Valium to relax. After the time went by that it was supposed to take affect I told them that I didn't think I was relaxed enough. I told them that some times I was a little resistant to those kind of drugs. Then in front of my roommate they asked me if I did drugs!!!!
I don't and was embarrassed. Since my roommate didn't really know me yet I was really afraid she would think I did.

They did give me another Valium . After the time went by again I still didn't feel relaxed but I was too embarrassed to say anything.

I won't go into the details of the actual operation but I was definitely not ready for it. They had not told me enough of the details of what would happen and it was a very different experience than what I expected.

I am still concerned that after the operation I heard the doctor talking in hushed tones to one of his assistants about the machine. I still don't know what that was about.

My initial recovery was more intense and took longer than any-one I knew and anyone any of them knew. I had nightmares also. When I told my doctor I had night mares he told me not to have them.

Since the surgery I have had bags under my eyes, swelling above them and all kinds of dry, itchy, red and sore eyes.

On followup exams I am told that it's just dry eye and allergy eye and have changed eye drops several times.

I am upset with the rushed way I am handled and the lack of explanations I get.

The doctor is not telling me what treatments for dry eye and allergy eye I could get other than eye drops and temporary plugs. Not even advising me on the possible adverse effects of the plugs.
I think the skin under my eye is permanently damaged from being stretched out so long. I hate to see myself in the mirror. Honestly, I looked better with glasses! Part of the reason for the surgery is vanity. Now I look older than I did before.

I have ghosting, sensitivity to light and the lights are flared at night.

A few minutes after eye drops my eyes are 20/25 which is great but overshadowed by all the other problems. I may end up getting glasses for driving because I can't read the signs soon enough at times I end up passing up the street I want because I can't read it until I'm right on it. I was farsighted before.

So after all that, my problem is I want to go to a different doctor now for the rest of the followup and don't know what to do.

I think that my doctor as experienced as he is should have recognized the dry eye symptoms before my surgery and advised me accordingly. I had mild dry eye before but didn't know it. Now I have very very dry eye.

Since he didn't inform me enough and continues to be rushed and patronizing with me I really don't trust him any more.

Where should I go for help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:43 pm 

Quote:
Where should I go for help?

Where do you live?

The problem is finding a doctor who will be honest with you. LASIK surgeons cover up for each other.

Quote:
I was farsighted before.

YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN INFORMED that farsighted-LASIK induces worse dry eye than nearsighted-LASIK. This is a well-known fact.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Re: 2 months after, very upset
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:54 am 

sylvysue wrote:
I am upset with the rushed way I am handled and the lack of explanations I get.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience and problems you have now. They rushed me through as well..right after surgery and follow ups, stating they could fix their mistake by doing an enhancement..which I didn't get.

Post subject: Rushed treatment and lack of explanations probably typical
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:40 pm 

It was clear to me that the clinic where I had my surgery was rushed and overbooked. All of the employees seemed stressed.

It was also my experience that LASIK surgeons - my own and most of my 2nd opinion doctors... were not very forthcoming with information.

At least we have each other - and http://www.TheLasikFlap.com

Post subject: Re: 2 months after, very upset
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:34 pm 

sylvysue wrote:
The assistant gave me a Valium to relax. After the time went by that it was supposed to take affect I told them that I didn't think I was relaxed enough. I told them that some times I was a little resistant to those kind of drugs. Then in front of my roommate they asked me if I did drugs!!!!
I don't and was embarrassed. Since my roommate didn't really know me yet I was really afraid she would think I did.

They did give me another Valium . After the time went by again I still didn't feel relaxed but I was too embarrassed to say anything.

I won't go into the details of the actual operation but I was definitely not ready for it. They had not told me enough of the details of what would happen and it was a very different experience than what I expected.

I am still concerned that after the operation I heard the doctor talking in hushed tones to one of his assistants about the machine. I still don't know what that was about.

I can relate to what you've said here. I had told my Dr. before hand that I was very nervous and they better be sure to drug me up as much as possible. They made me feel that I'd be good to go by telling me they'd give me 2 pills, when they usually only give 1. So, before my procedure I was still nervous to the point that I was shaking, and kept asking the Dr. before she started if it was ok to go on since I was bugging out so bad. She of course said yes. I found out after the fact that each pill was only 1/4 mg! So even when they gave me TWO pills, I had only taken a HALF mg!!! That's NOTHING.

Also, in regards to the Dr. and assistant whispering, I know all about that too. When the Dr. was doing my 2nd eye, there was some kind of a problem. My eye was bleeding after she made the flap and she was wiping it off with gauze. I would see VERY blurry white and red gauze coming in and out of my view as she did this. While doing this she said something to the assistant like: "These are the broken blood vessels I was telling you about." Well....she never warned me about any broken blood vessels before hand, and she didn't bother to explain what was going on to me at the time either, so I'm laying there, frozen in fear, afraid to move or talk....with thoughts of one false move and my eyeballs are DONE. So...she gets it cleaned up, goes ahead with the lazering....does the drops....and then leaves my flap open for several minutes, a LOT longer than she had when she did the first eye. So I'm lying there....with my 1st eye still covered, my second eye open, but I can't see out of it b/c the flap is still hanging open. I so wanted to ask how things went....but I was afraid to move or talk, so I remained frozen. I so wished the Dr. would say SOMETHING to make me feel better, like everything had gone okay. Instead, she and the assistant starting whispering to each other. I laid there till I couldn't take it anymore, till I finally blurted out, "Is everything okay?! Did everything go okay?!" And my Dr. said, "Oh...we're not talking about you. We're just talking shop talk." Talking shop talk? Not talking about ME? Not talking about ME, when I'm laying here on your table with my eyeball sliced open and my cornea hanging out of my eye? My Doctor's bedside manner SUCKS!!! During the procedure she didn't talk to me other than to tell me what to do. No soothing touch. No soothing words. No telling me that everything has gone alright so far...NOTHING.

Just wanted to let you know that I know how you feel. It was the most traumatizing thing I've ever gone through. They told me that I'd forget all about the bad stuff and only be happy about my awesome vision. They compared it to women forgetting the pain of giving birth. I will NEVER forget how absolutely terrifying my experience was.

Post subject: Your traumatizing experience
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:03 pm 

Regrets:
I just read your story of day of surgery.. OMG,,, that is so , so awful. I'm so , so sorry................ Scary,, hugely scary,,, I can't even imagine how you felt and still feel today.. I never saw blood, thank god,, even though my sight is all so jacked up anyway................ I just wanted to respond. Again, I'm so sorry those jerks put you through such a horrid experience.

Sadeyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:50 am 

Hey yo, just wonderin' how things have been goin' for ya.

I don't have any answers myself. 's the way it is out here. No answers, only more questions.

Hope everythin's goin' ok.