Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Antioxidant therapy after bad LASIK at Duke University
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:20 pm 

I have battled dry eye ever since my botched LASIK surgery performed by Dr. Terry Kim of Duke University Medical Center. Dry eye was not mentioned in my consent forms at Duke LASIK Center, however the FDA warns that LASIK dry eye can be permanent.

Now that I have a chronic post-LASIK medical condition, 'keratoconjunctivitis sicca' (also known as dry eye disease, or ocular surface disease), from what was essentially a 'butchery' of my eyes performed by Dr. Terry Kim MD of Duke University Vision 'Correction' Center, the surgical outcome accompained also with distorted vision, loss of contrast sensitivity and night vision disturbances so horrendous that I avoid going outside at night... I have developed as many mechanisms as possible to compensate for these doctor-induced handicaps.

For dry eye, I have enjoyed good success drinking eight 8oz glasses of green tea per day. That's 64 oz, or 1 gallon per day. You can make the tea at home or buy it. I don't like sweet tea, but sometimes the only tea that is handy has an artificial sweetener in it. I find it is better to drink some artificial sweetener than to have burning eyes.

Another supplement that has helped me is Liquemax from Sam's Club. I take 2 Tablespoons/day as directed. Liquemax is a complex supplement with multiple anitioxidants. I feel better on the green tea and the liquemax. My eyes are wetter, and an Opthalmologist told me my ocular surface damage is less but not eliminated. I definitely feel less eye pain and burning. I have tried Omega fatty acids and Restasis. They can't compare to green tea and Liquemax for me. I still take Omega fatty acids as they are contained in Liquemax. But the supplements alone didn't do much for me.

Patients should know that they can have chronic eye pain for life from LASIK. Dr. Terry Kim didn't do me the courtesy of sharing this fact with me.

Dr. Terry Kim should read The LASIK Report at: http://www.thelasikreport.com , so that he can also begin to understand how an undersized optical zone leads to a degradad retinal image. I struggle to understand whether these surgeons simply can't grasp these concepts, or whether they undertstand them completely and damage patients' vision permanently ANYWAY because it is so darned lucrative for them personally. Either scenario is beyond disturbing.

Dr. Terry Kim's office (head Surgeon is Dr. Alan Carlson) misread my pupils at 7.5mm (they are over 8mm) yet he PLANNED a surgery including a 'correction' for astigmatism that left me with a fully corrected zone that is only 5.5mm wide and a very abrupt transition WITHIN my pupil diameter out to over 6 diopters. Even if his pupil measurements were correct, a 2mm optical zone/pupil size mismatch is a vision-trashing disaster. And my vision is especially trashed because my pupils are easily 8 mm in dim light.

I have different vision at different levels of ambient light. People just don't realize how much ambient light conditions change. Walking through a building, going from outside indoors, the picture on a TV or movie screen... all these things change ambient light. The pupil is very dynamic and the surgically induced aberrations caused by Dr. Kim's ill-planned and poorly executed LASIK surgery cause my distortions (starbursts and halos) to shrink and swell dramatically. The vision disturbances are just constantly changing. It is pure hell.

When I look in closets and drawers I see nothing. Unless I bring a bright light.

I lost my wallet in plain sight. It was a black wallet, sitting on something grey... invisible to me due to loss of contrast senstitivity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:20 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

I am going to try Lipton Green Tea - Tea Bags, they seem the most affordable and I hope one type of green tea is as good as the other for dry eyes. I never would have thought green tea was good for dry eye. I am excited for the potentional.

Anyways, I also take MSM drops - but I am not sure what exactly they do but they seem to help. I did not realize how bad my eyes were until I started using drops throughout the day. It takes away some of the light sensitivity and thats exciting.

Thanks for the advice and I can't wait to go out and get some green tea!

Post subject: green tea and antioxidants
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:43 pm 

apizzo67:
I have not yet tried green tea, however, I have used the Liquimax and the good thing is it's only about $12.00 a bottle and you only use 2 tbls. a day,, (I just take two swigs which is easier than using spoon every day) and the bottle says it's a months supply.. so, it's not very expensive.. recently I bought another bottle (hadn't had in a while, cuz my friends have membership there , I don't) and I haven't had to use my drops as much, plus wierdly I almost think I may be seeing a little better, if that's even possible,, since I see like crap to start with.. My left eye got fuzzier like and lately it seems clearer...
My biggest point, is it's not very expensive and worth the money..
Thanks again for the tip, scientist.
sadeyes

Post subject: Antioxidants combat inflammation
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:28 pm 

Increasing your oral antioxidant supplementation is like fighting inflammation from the inside. AND there are benefits for the rest of your body! It's worth a try!

Do keep in mind that most artificial sweeteners are NOT good for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:39 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Thanks all for the advice - I am now trying Chinense Rambling Powder to help out too. I am also drinking 2 cups of warm green tea a day now and about 2 cups of chilled green tea. I read that the warmed version is supposed to be more effective. I also cut out ALL aspertame from my diet. I was taking in so much aspertame that it was making me sick. I feel much better without taking it.

When I was a kid I used accutane, which still to this day gives me dry skin and eyes. So I am hoping to get some moisture back from the inside like Scientist said. If I was adding another restriction to the list of reasons not to get lasik, it would be that anyone who ever took accutane should not get the surgery (of course no one should get it, but accutane only exaggerates things).

I always wish there was a pill that would stop my pupls from dilating, kind of like reverse mydrasis. Its funny now that so many things can cause mydrasis and I can't think of anything to do the reverse! That would be great! A safe pill to stop the pupil from dilating to say over 6mm.

Post subject: Accutane use and LASIK
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:25 pm 

I know another patient who was a heavy user of acutane and now has problems with dry lips and nosebleeds. I have no idea if the accutane has worsened this patient's dry eye, which was not a problem the first couple of years after surgery - but has become a chronic pain issue recently.

This worsening of dry eye symptoms may be due to nerve damage in conjunction with aging as this patient is now officially 'middle aged'. :wink:

I'm really going to catch hell for that last remark! :oops:

There is no 'wonder pill' to keep your pupils from dilating just as there is no 'wonder surgery' to correct refractive error with surgery to the cornea.

Corneal refractive surgeons really have no effective tricks up their sleeves to correct any naturally occuring problems or even complications of their own creation. In my opinion, surgeons who perform LASIK on healthy corneas are ignorant, impotent butchers. Surgeons who perform LASIK on unhealthy corneas with no previous surgeries are... something even worse. :twisted:

Some day we will publish a list of surgeons who have legally blinded patients who had obvious pre-existing contraindications for surgery that were evident in their pre-op screens. This list is becoming alarmingly long and includes some fairly well known surgeons.