Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan lies to fellow doctors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:23 am 

Unfortunately at this time I do not have any pertinent information about lasik to share; I simply have a story to tell. I felt that this site would be the best place to start. I needed an audience that would understand my issues; issues that usually illicit the response ?don?t worry they?ll fix you up soon.?
Throughout my youth I felt that performing surgery had been my calling. Do to the fact that I fear for my license, I will not divulge my particular area in medicine, yet I can assure you that I am not involved with ophthalmology. Even at a young age I felt that there were so many doctors, in my given area of medicine, that are not qualified to clip toenails for a living, let alone, perform surgery. This belief forced me to never accept my work as good enough; always to push for unobtainable perfection. This mentality has partially lead to my current handicap.
In my pursuit for self perfection, I chose to obtain some information regarding Lasik from Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery. I simply wished to lessen the prescription in my surgical loupes. I was completely unprepared for what was to come. I knew, from my personal experience, that you do not toy with a person?s health. That idea, coupled with the belief that if a physician, one that came from a reputable school, taught students at that school, had children, one of with is going to become an ophthalmologist, would touch an individuals eyes, then they would be damn sure to ?do no harm.? Although the fact that doctors usually do not lie, steal, and hurt other doctors, should not be another of my reasons,it is. I clearly stated to Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery that I need precision vision for my area of work. I also mentioned, quite clearly, that I wished to not have issues with my vision, in order to practice for life. Apparently he chose to turn a deaf ear.
My lasik travesty then began in mid-2003, where, after a lengthy sales pitch and many lies, I was butchered. I was relatively calm the first year. The double vision, I was assured, would go away, due to the fact that the ?cornea heals slowly.? I was also told to not worry, because the dryness in my eyes would subside after about six to ten months?. Hold on everyone, it?s at this point where ?Dr.? Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery really gets rolling, and the story gets good.
After collecting my records, I noted a number of oddities. Both pupils at 7.5mm, absolutely no dry eye test, stable vision for THREE months, family history of dry eye not noted (which probably explains why prior to surgery my contact lenses would always pop out), and failure to note occurrences in my record honestly, or at all. At this point I still remained calm, because I was foolishly convinced that when Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery operates on a fellow physician, he doesn?t mess around (I wasn?t yet accustomed to that level of professional savagery.)
So everyone is aware, at this point I have quite a bit of irregular astigmatism and unaddressed microstriae in my left eye and relatively mild irregular astigmatism in my right, resulting in a post-lasik 20/40 and 20/20, respectively. Basically out of my right eye I saw two moons in the sky, and four out of my left. Keep in mind, my field is detail oriented and even microns matter.
I began to lose my patience when Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery began giving me comments like ?I don?t understand, I have had other doctors happy with a vision quality like yours? and ?lets see if we could get you into some work glasses, because you basically need to see just well enough to work, right?? I was especially annoyed when I confronted him about various aspects of lasik surgery. I had to actually put a research article in his face to shut him up. I am now left with the few options that we are all left with after lasik.
I was always such a happy person, at least prior to lasik, and the help of Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery. I cannot begin to explain how much I hate Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery with every bone in my body. I can only deeply hope that he receives the same level of care, honestly and consideration, that he has offered me, from every physician he is to see.

I thank you all in advance for reading.

Just in case you want to see the person I think about morning, noon and night. http://www.eyesbypremier.com/DoctorDeta ... or=Kiernan[url]

Post subject: Another physician butchered by LASIK
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:05 pm 

Hi LasikBS. Thanks so much for sharing your story. There are other medical professionals on this board, and we know of many more who do not post on bulletin boards.

There is much you can legally and safely do to inform the public about your poor LASIK outcome and unprofessional behavior at the hand of your LASIK surgeon, Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery. The fact that you are a physician will lend you more credibility in these endeavors.

I feel sick reading your post, because I hate that this happened to you and I hate that patients who don't have the benefit of a medical background are reamed and lied to even more by LASIK surgeons like Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery.

I have shoved my share of literature in LASIK surgeons' faces. :wink:

Post subject: Is it me, or does the room smell more and more of BS?
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:15 pm 

"In 2001 Dr. Kiernan performed LASIK on his oldest son." Hmmmm.... no credible physician to confirm this, and no son available to exam; How convenient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:18 pm 

Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery MAY have performed LASIK on his oldest son in 2001, because many of the problems with creation of the LASIK flap were not well understood at that time.

However, have you found a surgeon who had LASIK themselves, or performed LASIK on a 1st degree relative LATELY? I don't think so! This is because the news is out that LASIK is a bad surgery that damages every eye.

If Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery told the truth, and he did perform LASIK on his eldest son... serious vision problems may lie ahead for this son as a result of having this flawed procedure.

Longterm vision issues with LASIK may hit Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery very close to home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:20 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

LasikBS

I sent you a private message on this site. You are by no means alone. I also have experienced an outcome similar to your own.

ThisIsNotMedicine

Post subject: LASIK surgeons not healers
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:23 pm 

LasikBS said:

Quote:
I can only deeply hope that he [Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery] receives the same level of care, honestly and consideration, that he has offered me, from every physician he is to see.

Unlikely as LASIK surgeons seem to be the most ethically challenged among medical professionals. Physicians in most other specialties strive to be healers.

Have you filed a complaint with the state medical board about Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery?

If Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery has any lawsuits on file in the county courthouse maybe it's time to get those published on a few websites. You can private message any of the regulars here for information about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:27 am 

In regards to Dr. Kiernan potentially being honest about his son having lasik, I have a few obvious things to point out. Even through the ?flap issues?, that are more commonly known today, may not have been known in 2001, many other issues were known. Also, as a surgeon that has ?performed more than 4000 procedures? he has surely come across many issues such as night vision disturbances, dry eye, higher order aberrations, regressions, etc. It is ludicrous to assume that given his experiences with refractive surgery, prior to his son?s alleged surgery in 2001, that he would actually perform it. Let us also look at another case where he may have used his son to manipulate a particular audience. Link A at the bottom of this entry leads to a response by Drs. Daniel and Joseph Kiernan to an article, ?Observations on Disposable Income and Disposable People?, by Dr. Weingeist. The problem is that ?Dr? Daniel Kiernan had not yet entered Medical school at that point. Confirmation of this allegation can be found at the link B; a link describing his family.
I am rather puzzled why a man, seemingly with a propensity toward pathological lying, would spend a lot of money on, normally, altruistic causes. It is true that he donates money to schools and has adopted a few children, yet the finances for these feats are acquired through such ill gotten means. Essentially he chooses to save a few lives at the cost of many.
Unfortunately, for his lies, greed and poor surgical skill, he will be punished. I have decided to make a web site covering many areas of lasik; how information was concealed/altered in various reports presented to the FDA. How the members on the FDA and medical regulation committees are also the same individuals that perform these procedures, and have an incentive to conceal/alter information, etc. All of this will be done, and Dr. Joseph Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery will have a front seat. I am going to make Dean?s site toward Dr. Caro seem like a mild complaint. Don?t forget Dr. Daniel Kiernan; the son of a man who mutilates ?other physicians, CEO?s, attorneys, engineers and members of the clergy.? I want Dr. Joseph Kiernan to see his son?s career take the same form as my own; a daily struggle. Why should my parents be the only ones to see their child?s career take a nose dive just a few years after it started?
If you know anyone that has been hurt by Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan, please tell them to contact me on this site. Remember, while Hippocrates was responsible for the Hippocratic oath, he was also responsible for the following quote: ?If a doctor cannot do good, he must be kept from doing harm.?

A http://www.aao.org/aao/news/eyenet/archive/06_01/letters.html

B http://sparkdiscovery.uchicago.edu/forefront/pdf/5781_Legacy15_297_07sb.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:40 pm 

LasikBS wrote:
I have decided to make a web site covering many areas of lasik; how information was concealed/altered in various reports presented to the FDA. How the members on the FDA and medical regulation committees are also the same individuals that perform these procedures, and have an incentive to conceal/alter information, etc.

This is an area I have spent years researching. I have read every FDA transcript related to clinical trials for LASIK. Let me know if I can help.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Looking forward to new LASIK website
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:19 pm 

LasikBS said:
Quote:
I have decided to make a web site covering many areas of lasik; how information was concealed/altered in various reports presented to the FDA. How the members on the FDA and medical regulation committees are also the same individuals that perform these procedures, and have an incentive to conceal/alter information, etc. All of this will be done, and Dr. Joseph Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery will have a front seat. I am going to make Dean?s site toward Dr. Caro seem like a mild complaint.

Looking forward to this site, and I also volunteer to help. An individual inside the FDA actually solicited the application for FDA approval of LASIK from his surgeon buddies. We have depositions from two surgeons admitting to that. This could be good. Once you get something up, come back here and post a request to have the information re-published on other sites with a link back to your site. This will increase the indexing and exposure of the information.

Dean Kantis gave his surgeon some serious, long overdue heartburn, and he'll be difficult to top... but it's a worthy challenge!

Post subject: There is a storm comming... and its going to be ugly!
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:10 pm 

I sincerely thank everyone that has offered to help with my site, given me words of encouragement, and simply read my story. I am certainly going to take all of your offers to help when the time comes. It is going to take a little while to get this site going. Collecting the initial information for the given format that I would like for my site, figuring out how to make a web site with the various programs available, figuring out how to base the site overseas so it would not be able to be taken down as easily, etc. As I said, it will take a bit of time, but I will keep you all informed.
I wonder if Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan of Premier Eye Care and Surgery, at any point, ever realized that lying, mutilating and insulting me, was a career ending move. This is not going to end well for him.

Post subject: oh... one more thing.
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:46 pm 

Did I mention that Dr. Joseph P. Kiernan is willing to do lasik on a patient as young as 18 years old! In terms of refractive surgery, isn't this the equivalent of "robbing the cradle?"

http://www.eyesbypremier.com/FAQ.aspx

Look under "Who is a candidate for Lasik?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:41 am 

I wonder if he tells the younger patients that their age places them at greater risk for ectasia.

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... 307_10.pdf

Quote:
There is a recent report of post-LASIK ectasia in eyes without so-called risk factors (eg, a preoperative corneal thickness of 500 μm or less, a residual stromal bed thickness of 250 μm or less, patient?s age 25 years or less, operating for high myopic refractive errors, and other factors discussed later).

http://www.escrs.org/PUBLICATIONS/EUROT ... torfor.pdf

Quote:
Dr Binder delivered a keynote address on ectasia after lamellar refractive surgery during the XXIV Congress of the ESCRS. He analysed his personal series of more than 10,000 LASIK cases performed since October 1995 and identified eyes with any one of the following five features that are currently accepted as risk factors for ectasia after LASIK: residual bed thickness less than 250 microns; keratometry steeper than 47.5 D; age under 25 years; central corneal thickness less than 500 microns; and against-the-rule astigmatism.

Cornea. 2006 May;25(4):388-403.
Corneal ectasia after laser in situ keratomileusis in patients without apparent preoperative risk factors.

Quote:
Exclusion criteria should perhaps be expanded for younger LASIK candidates because of age-related corneal elasticity and the possibility of underlying anatomical defects that will eventually lead to keratoconus, even if LASIK is not performed.

Not telling patients their age increases their risk for one of the most feared and devastating complications of LASIK would be criminal, in my opinion.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: where do i find out legal info?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:59 pm 

Where would one go to find out the details of a given legal case if he/she had the plaintiff's name, defendant's name, and the case number?

Post subject: County courthouse where the case was filed
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:21 pm 

The original copy is available for public view (unless records are sealed) at the county courthouse where the case was filed. There should be a public viewing room for documents - call ahead and find out where that is.

Sometimes a county will have online access to records. If you want to copy the whole file sometimes you have to go in person or hire a court document retrieval service to obtain copies of the records.

Typical copying charges if you go yourself run up to 50 cents a page. The retrieval service will be more.

Some doctors practice in several locations. To find all of their lawsuits you would have to check all of the counties where a damaged patient may have filed a malpractice lawsuit.

Post subject: Dr. Josef Mengele has some competition.....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:29 pm 

The deeper I dig looking for information with this "doctor", the more it stinks. It seems that I am not the only victim out there, as this "doctor" tries to make it seem. "I have operated on surgeons, dentists, and doctors, and they are all happy." Happy??? Happy believing that the dry eye will go away in six months; happy believing that "everyone has floaters?"; happy with the belief that "the cornea heals slowly" and that they should "give it time?"

https://w3.courtlink.lexisnexis.com/cookcounty/FindDock.asp?NCase=&SearchType=2&Database=2&case_no=&=&=&=&PLtype=2&sname=kiernan&CDate= :evil:

I wonder if around 2002/2003 he incorporated his new 12 page waiver, basically handicapping his patients illegally. That would certainly explain why there are no recent additions.