One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Custom LASIK results in 3.25 overcorrection and loss of BCVA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:55 pm 

From the FDA adverse events reporting database:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c ... _ID=727223

Quote:
A surgeon reports one patient that was over corrected in his left eye following custom lasik surgery. A review of the patient records provided, indicat at 4-months post -op, this patient was over corrected by 3. 25 diopters and presented with 1. 75 diopters of induced astigmatism. One month later an enhancement was performed on the left eye. Three weeks following the enhancement, the over correction on the left eye had reduced to 1. 25 diopters and the induced astigmatism had resolved, leaving 1. 5 diopters of residual astigmatism. The patient did experience a 1-line decrease in bcva in the left eye during the post-operative period.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Thanks for showing more proof on lasik damage
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:50 am 

Another story of the proof that lasik damages every eye. People lose BCVA, end up under/overcorrected, have induced astigmatism, dry eyes, etc :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:48 pm 

And this is the technology (wavefront) that is supposed to correct all the tiny imperfections (HOAs) in your vision. :shock:

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: LASIK could not even treat regular astigmatism
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:29 pm 

Sounds like the wavefront LASIK couldn't even target the whopping 1.5 diopters they claim to be residual regular astigmatism. How can it target and treat a patient's tiny natural imperfections?

News flash! Normal eyes have tiny imperfections that aren't noticable and don't bother anybody. Once patents have wavefront treatments, not only are their natural imperfections not addressed, new distortions are induced by the surgery. I feel like I'm living in some sort of alternate reality where doctors can get away with this kind of misrepresentation, false advertising and damage to patients eyes and nobody is doing a thing about it.

The truth is Opthalmologists are good at measuring the eye's imperfections but they are really really bad at treating them. They measure them, then they give you more distortions during surgery... just in case you wanted to have your visual quality decreased permanently!

Post subject: Re: LASIK could not even treat regular astigmatism
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:09 am 

Eye wrote:
I feel like I'm living in some sort of alternate reality where doctors can get away with this kind of misrepresentation, false advertising and damage to patients eyes and nobody is doing a thing about it.

I have felt that way for six years. I used to say it's like living in The Far Side.

Post subject: No lasik can correct HOAs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:40 am 

Broken Eyes wrote:
And this is the technology (wavefront) that is supposed to correct all the tiny imperfections (HOAs) in your vision. :shock:

I used to think so too but the truth quicky became seen(pun intended) and I am seeing the truth in glasses and we are doing our part to spread the truth that lasik damages every eye. Am I correct when I say the size of aberrations is a micron or less and the size of the smallest flying spot laser beam is a few hundred microns? No wonder lasik cant do a thing about HOAs, in fact as Eye said, lasik can not even correct what glasses can! Most people still have a residual prescription and also regress. The only thing lasik might be able to do is reduce your dependency on glasses but it is not worth damaging your eyes and having distorted vision! :roll: :evil:

Post subject: Re: No lasik can correct HOAs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:22 pm 

avoidlasik wrote:
Am I correct when I say the size of aberrations is a micron or less and the size of the smallest flying spot laser beam is a few hundred microns? No wonder lasik cant do a thing about HOAs,

I just took a peek at the FDA approval order for 2 lasers. The beam size for the VISX ranges from .65 to 6 millimeters (mm). For LADARVision it's less than .9 mm. I'm not sure if any recent upgrades have changed the beam size. This is what's on the FDA website now.

Higher order aberrations are measured in microns (um) with .3 considered significant.

1 Millimeter = 1000 Microns

Post subject: The truth about lasik aberrations!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:09 am 

This is no wonder lasik can NOT do anything but increase aberrations!
If we go by the math, todays laser beams are about 600 microns. Significent aberrations are .3 microns, a factor of 2000 times smaller than the laser beam! Even if someone had aberrations a full micron, the laser beam is still over 500 times larger! This is like trying to carve a wooden stature in a toothpick with a giant chainsaw! The creation of the flap alone induces tons of aberrations and micro striae. Then the actual laser ablation induces aberrations and distortions in your cornea.

Post subject: Re: The truth about lasik aberrations!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:30 pm 

avoidlasik wrote:
This is like trying to carve a wooden stature in a toothpick with a giant chainsaw!

:lol: :lol:

Now that's a slogan I'd like to see on an advertisement for custom LASIK! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:42 pm 

I found a couple of articles relevant to our discussion:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cataract Refract Surg. 2002 Mar;28(3):407-16.

Spot size and quality of scanning laser correction of higher-order wavefront aberrations.

Huang D, Arif M.

Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA. huangd@ccf.org

PURPOSE: To investigate the effect of laser spot size on the outcome of aberration correction with scanning laser corneal ablation.

SETTING: Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.

METHODS: Corrections of wavefront aberrations of Zernike modes from the second to eighth order were simulated. Gaussian and top-hat beams of 0.6 to 2.0 mm full-width-half-maximum diameters were modeled. The fractional correction and secondary aberration (distortion) were evaluated.

RESULTS: Using a distortion/correction ratio of less than 0.5 as a cutoff for adequate performance, a 2.0 mm or smaller beam was adequate for spherocylindrical correction (Zernike second order), a 1.0 mm or smaller beam was adequate for correction of up to fourth-order Zernike modes, and a 0.6 mm or smaller beam was adequate for correction of up to sixth-order Zernike modes.

CONCLUSIONS: Since ocular aberrations above the Zernike fourth order are relatively insignificant in normal eyes, current scanning lasers with a beam diameter of 1.0 mm or less are theoretically capable of eliminating most higher-order aberrations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J Refract Surg. 2003 Jan-Feb;19(1):15-23.

Effect of beam size on the expected benefit of customized laser refractive surgery.

Guirao A, Williams DR, MacRae SM.

University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain. aguirao@um.es

PURPOSE: Customized laser surgery attempts to correct higher order aberrations, as well as defocus and astigmatism. The success of such a procedure depends on using a laser beam that is small enough to produce fine ablation profiles needed to correct higher order aberrations.

METHODS: Wave aberrations were obtained from a population of 109 normal eyes and 4 keratoconic eyes using a Shack-Hartmann wavefront sensor. We considered a theoretical customized ablation in each eye, performed with beams of 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 mm in diameter. We then calculated the residual aberrations remaining in the eye for the different beam sizes. Retinal image quality was estimated by means of the modulation transfer function (MTF), computed from the residual aberrations. Fourier analysis was used to study spatial filtering of each beam size.

RESULTS: The laser beam acts like a spatial filter, smoothing the finest features in the ablation profile. The quality of the correction declines steadily when the beam size increases. A beam of 2 mm is capable of correcting defocus and astigmatism. Beam diameters of 1 mm or less may effectively correct aberrations up to fifth order.

CONCLUSION: Large diameter laser beams decrease the ability to correct higher order aberrations. A top-hat laser beam of 1 mm (Gaussian with FWHM of 0.76 mm) is small enough to produce a customized ablation for typical human eyes.

Post subject: Impossible!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:53 am 

Yet to this day, todays smallest lasers(500 microns) still induces all sorts of horrible aberrations! Even the flap creation induces millions of distortions and striae! The healing response of the cornea is unpredictable and new aberrations are formed as a result. Its almost impossible to actually reduce aberrations in a healthy virgin eye and I have the feeling it wont be lasik technology in the future thats up to the task