Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Why you can't trust info on a LASIK surgeons website
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:40 pm 

www dot seewithlasik dot com

Quote:
If you are nearsighted, farsighted or have astigmatism, LASIK Eye Surgery represents an opportunity to take a journey to freedom from the hassle of eyeglasses and contact lenses.

LASIK definitely gave me an opportunity to take a journey. In fact, many journeys around the country for 2nd opinions with top LASIK surgeons and specialty hard contact lenses with skilled RGP fitters.

Quote:
Anatomically, when the flap is created, the very fine cornea nerves may be severed as part of the LASIK procedure.

No, the very fine cornea nerves WILL be severed, not MAY be severed.

Quote:
Fortunately, virtually all Dry Eyes symptoms after LASIK are temporary and gradually decrease over time until they end within a few months of having your LASIK procedure.

Big fat LASIK industry lie. The nerves DO NOT RECOVER within a few months. They don't even recover by 3 years. They NEVER return to normal.

Quote:
In addition, the Excimer Laser Eye Surgery System uses an ultra-small beam of cool laser light - one that's less than a millimeter wide, a spot much smaller than the thickness of a single human hair.

Maybe they should have hired a mathematician to help with their advertising. A human hair is +/- 100 microns in diameter. I haven't seen any laser spots of .1mm. :shock:

Quote:
Is the Effect of LASIK Eye Surgery Permanent?
Yes. Following an initial healing period of two to three months, the effect of the treatment is lifelong.

Another big fat LASIK industry lie. What about regression? What about changes with age? I regressed nearly 50% of the effect.

Quote:
You should know that the Refractive Surgery Coordinator or Counselor is a highly trained member of the LASIK surgeon's staff and works closely with the surgeon on a daily basis.

No, you should know that the Refractive Surgery Coordinator is a salesperson who is motivated to close the sale. They are NOT looking out for YOUR best interest.

Quote:
A technician will begin taking a number of measurements.

A rookie technician may not know what the heck they're doing! If you doubt this, I can show you a sworn deposition of a technician that proves it.

Quote:
As part of your comprehensive consultation or sometimes on your treatment day, another measurement called wavefront refraction and aberrometry will be taken. This is an extremely precise measurement of your prescription that will include not only measuring your nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism, but also the presence of high order aberrations that can effect night vision quality, create glare, haloes and cause other imperfections.

Ask for a copy of this measurement taken prior to LASIK. Then ask to have another 'extremely precise' measurement taken after LASIK. Then have the surgeon explain why the 'imperfections' increased instead of decreased. And don't believe a word of his explanation.

Quote:
Next, a delicate retaining device is placed around the edges of your eyelid to remind you not to blink during your procedure.

Ha! Delicate retaining device?! No, I wouldn't call a lid speculuum 'delicate'. It stretches and holds the eyes in an unnaturally wide position. It can potentially cause permanent drooping of the eyelids, a condition known as ptosis.

Quote:
Again you will hear some ticking or clicking noises as the laser is applied. This is normal.

They forgot to say, if you smell something burning, it's your cornea. Oh, but they said it was a 'cool' laser. Maybe they think it's cool, but we don't.

Quote:
It is likely that the surgeon or staff will be talking to you the entire time. They will reassure you that everything is progressing as planned.

This is completely rehearsed. Whether everything is progressing as planned or not, they'll tell you that it is. I suppose I cannot criticize them for this. You need to remain calm, no matter what. :shock:

Quote:
Remember to keep your eyes well lubricated with artificial tears even if they do not feel dry.

Patients with severed nerves can't feel a thing. Use the drops. It helps to prevent more damage, like corneal erosions.

Quote:
Do not spend time comparing the vision in one eye against the other. Your eyes heal at different rates and you do not normally walk around closing one eye-so why do it after LASIK?

:lol: Patients are so freaked out by their vision, trying to figure out what's wrong, they constantly put their hand over one eye, then the other, and compare the vision between eyes. It's called THE LASIK SALUTE. They don't want you to know they screwed up one eye worse than the other. Do the LASIK salute all you want.

Quote:
A trustworthy LASIK surgeon will help you select a procedure that is best for you.

A LASIK surgeon will sell you LASIK if at all possible. If you are a non-candidate based on certain guidelines, count your blessings if you are turned away.

Quote:
There can be little doubt that LASIK offers a much more convenient lifestyle than contact lenses and one that actually achieves "wearring no glasses at all" for the ultimate comfort.

More convenient than contacts? Wearing no glasses at all? Try, wearing hard contacts instead of soft ones, and needing correction for both, distance and near, with massive visual distortions in anything but extremely bright light.

Quote:
Even with the best lens materials, contact lenses cannot provide the unlimited range of activities that you might wish to do without comfort or safety concerns.

Activities and safety concerns of contact lenses?? What about contact sports after LASIK?? Flaps can be accidentally dislodged for the rest of your life!

Quote:
For this reason, LASIK offers a more consistent and predictable vision correction option in any and every type of lifestyle situation.

Try telling that to some of the patients who are severely overcorrected, or with induced irregular astigmatism that is not correctable with glasses.

Quote:
Over the past 25 years, contact lenses have been "consumerized" to where there are literally thousands of outlets where patients can buy contact lenses on line or by calling a toll free phone number without the direct dispensing and supervision of an eye care professional.

And ophthalmologists start doing LASIK surgery after taking a weekend course.

Quote:
Even when things go well with contact lenses, annoying complications such as contact fit related problems, contact lens induced dry eye, giant papillary conjunctivitis can occur.

Try worsened dry eyes for which there is no relief simply by removing lenses. And complications? That's a whole other thread. LASIK is like having on a really bad fitting, dried out, dirty, wrong power contacts that YOU CANNOT TAKE OUT, EVER!

Quote:
Unfortunately, over years of wearing contact lenses, it is believed that constant rubbing and movement of the contact lens across the surface of the cornea may in fact damage and deplete the presence of these epithelial microvilli resulting in a less stable tear film and contact lens induced dry eye symptoms.

What about goblet cell damage-related dry eye after LASIK???

Quote:
So, while contact lenses have been reduced to being an on-line purchase implying a "care free, trouble free and risk free" form of vision correction, this may not be entirely correct.

And LASIK is marketed without any mention of risks, with false promises to "throw away your glasses". The marketing of LASIK completely trivializes the seriousness of an irreversible eye surgery.

Quote:
Following a nearsighted treatment, an overcorrection will make your vision at close range more difficult. This too is temporary. These temporary undercorrections and overcorrections are tolerable for most patients, but can be made more comfortable if necessary with glasses or temporary contact lenses until they resolve.

Sometimes they resolve, sometimes they don't. To imply that this is temporary and will resolve is false and misleading.

Quote:
It is unusual, but possible, that astigmatism can be induced following LASIK, resulting in blurred vision postoperatively. Astigmatism can be easily managed in combination with either an overcorrection or undercorrection retreatment. Small degrees of astigmatism are well tolerated and can even enhance vision in some circumstances.

Ha! Easily managed? Well tolerated? NOT! "Enhance vision"??? Yeah, if you enjoy ghost images!

Quote:
It is common for people who wear glasses and especially contact lenses, to have symptoms of glare or see halos or starbursts at night... For some patients, the occurrence of glare and haloes may have been due to the presence of higher order aberrations, such as spherical aberration, which we currently are able to measure and treat with Custom LASIK.

Oh, they must be kidding. The small amount of higher order aberrations present in a healthy virgin eye are barely noticeable, if at all, and definitely not debilitating. LASIK can induce debilitating spherical aberrations, especially in patients with large pupils. They can measure them, and attempt to treat them, but in fact they will make them worse, even with custom LASIK.

Quote:
Regression refers to the tendency of the eye to drift back slightly toward its original prescription. This occurs more commonly in patients who have had PRK but occasionally occurs in patients with higher amounts of myopia, hyperopia, or astigmatism who have undergone LASIK.

False and misleading. They are implying it doesn't happen in low to moderate myopes. Well how about me? A -4.25 myope who regressed nearly 50% of the treatment? Am I the only one? (They like to make you think you're the only one).

Quote:
Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis (DLK) is an extremely rare inflammatory reaction that leaves small white deposits underneath the corneal flap after LASIK. The cause of this reaction is unknown.

Extremely rare? I must be the most unlucky patient on the planet. All of these things that rarely happen, if ever, happened to me. Funny thing, I see so many other patients posting about it, too. I also seem to recall an article in JRS that was submitted anonymously... the surgeon reported that at one point his rate of DLK was 50%. Now that is unusual. But who knows the real rate? Nobody knows because nobody keeps track. To say the cause is unknown is not entirely true. They know the list of usual suspects include microkeratome debris, eyelid secretions, other debris, impure balanced salt solution, use of improper detergents, talc from gloves, thermal effects from the excimer laser, lubricants on the microkeratome or blades, and inadequate sterilization protocols.

Quote:
If you have not already done so, a discussion with the Refractive Surgery Coordinator can provide you with a number of payment options that can make the best treatment affordable for you.

See, what did I tell you? Don't trust a Refractive Surgery Coordinator as far as you can throw him.

Stay tuned for more...

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Last edited by Broken Eyes on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:59 pm 

It is hard to follow your train of thought because you don't do a very good job of differentiating commentary from someone else's statements. If you use the quote tags around quoted text it would be much easier to follow your thoughts.

For example,
Quote:
here's some quoted text.

Also, when you post a link to a web site, it increases that site's link popularity in Google, and cause the site to rank higher for keywords contained in the site. In essence, you are boosting the visibility of the site in Google when you give it a free link on this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:07 pm 

Good points. I fixed it.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:24 pm 

More...

Quote:
When folding back the flap, it is important to try to prevent any unwanted debris from accumulating on the interface surface.

It's important to try, but they never actually prevent it. Debris is present in 100% of LASIK corneas.

Quote:
When recognized and treated properly, DLK rarely affects the ultimate visual outcome however in rare cases, DLK will cause a loss of best-corrected vision.

In other words, a little haze and light scatter is not significant because it's our eyes, not theirs.

Post subject: Great quotes, Broken eyes! Let me further comment
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:00 am 

To put it short, lasik damages every eye. Normal eyes have a small amount of aberrations. I see halos and starbursts with my virgin cornea but nothing like what damaged lasik patients see! Lasik DOES cause dry eyes in everyone, usually permanent! Dont let anyone tell you otherwise or deny it! I just talked to a woman in person who got lasik 3 years ago and she still has dry eyes and needs eyedrops. She has 3 friends who got lasik and 2 of them also complain of dry eyes. She even says she now believes lasik will cause a drier eye!

Post subject: Re: Great quotes, Broken eyes! Let me further comment
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:00 pm 

avoidlasik wrote:
I just talked to a woman in person who got lasik 3 years ago and she still has dry eyes and needs eyedrops.

Post that on the Dry Eye forum under the thread title DON'T TELL ME DRY EYES IS TEMPORARY.