Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: class action lawsuit?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:38 am 

Please post if anyone has any info on lasik class action lawsuits.
I have heard that sometimes the statute may be extended in these suits and I haven't completely given up on justice being served somehow in the future even though my finances have been drained in the search for an answer to complications.The resulting disability,difficulty finding an expert witness,and the price of justice hasn't left much legal recourse.
Thanks for any info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:51 pm 

A class action lawsuit for product liability is something I've been hoping for for a long, long time. It's well overdue. In my opinion, there is plenty of evidence for a product liability lawsuit. If we can get The LASIK Report into the hands of the right law firm, maybe it would happen.

Another idea is to contact Public Citizen -- an FDA watchdog group. It's important to have your facts straight and be able to support all of your claims with scientific proof. Again, The LASIK Report is hard to dispute because it's completely referenced with peer-reviewed medical studies.

Some of the important issues to highlight:

1. Bilateral simultaneous LASIK should never be performed as it places patients at risk of permanent vision loss in BOTH eyes.

2. LASIK induces dry eyes in most patients, which does not resolve in many cases.

3. LASIK reduces visual quality by inducing corneal irregularities in almost all virgin eyes treated. Many LASIK patients are out there driving on the roads at night with impaired vision.

4. The LASIK industry continues to use an unsafe guideline of 250 um of residual corneal thickness, placing patients at risk of ectasia. Microkeratomes are notorious for variability of flap thickness, so many times the surgeon plans to leave at least 250 um but inadvertently goes below 250 um and the patient is never made aware of this.

5. LASIK invalidates IOP measurements which are crucial for diagnosing glaucoma.

6. LASIK causes IOL calculations for cataract surgery to be inaccurate, but patients are not warned before having LASIK.

This is a short list.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:40 am 

I have to believe that some LASIK patients have already tried pursuing a class action lawsuit and been denied. Do you know of any attempts? If so, why were they denied?

It would help to know this information before anyone tried putting forth the effort needed to succeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:51 pm 

Gash wrote:
I have to believe that some LASIK patients have already tried pursuing a class action lawsuit and been denied. Do you know of any attempts? If so, why were they denied?

It would help to know this information before anyone tried putting forth the effort needed to succeed.

I don't know of any real effort to file a class action lawsuit against laser manufacturers. I believe a firm considered it a few years ago. I don't recall off the top of my head who that firm was, but I could probably find out.

Somebody has to find the right firm with deep pockets that will take the time to review the evidence.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato