Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Steve Post and pupil size
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:06 am 

i heard that before steve post, there was an emerging consensus among refractive surgeons about the importance of pupil size. then after steve post won, pupil size was suddenly irrelevant. weird how legal judgments can affect the nature of reality like that.

i guess machat being spit on after testifying for post didnt really do much for plaintiff's witnesses who wanted to tell the truth though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:14 pm 

If pupil size didn't matter, why did laser manufacturers gradually and incrementally increase the size of the optical zone from the original 4 mm to 6.5 with a blend? There is a down-side to increasing the optical zone (deeper ablations, corneas more prone to bulging), so why did they increase it?

The peer-reviewed medical literature is over-flowing with articles going back to the early days of RK that discuss the importance of matching the clear zone/RK or optical zone/PRK & LASIK to the scotopic pupil. There are a couple of poorly conducted studies that say pupil size doesn't matter. Yet refractive surgeons ignore the hundreds of articles that support the importance of pupil size.

Interestingly the couple of studies that say that pupil size doesn't matter didn't include objective tests, such as contrast sensitivity or wavefront.

What needs to happen is a large class-action lawsuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:22 pm 

I really don't understand how this debate continues when pupil size is recognized as a precaution by the FDA and the laser manufacturers themselves. It is clearly listed as a precaution in the customvue patient guide that I was not given before my surgery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:12 pm 

If the debate were to resolve, a significant amount of marketplace would disappear with it. lots of patients have large pupils. so, its easier to just continue to treat patients who are noncandidates and then claim that the standard of care isnt firm in this regard in order to avoid lawsuits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:17 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

LasikTragedy wrote:
If the debate were to resolve, a significant amount of marketplace would disappear with it. lots of patients have large pupils. so, its easier to just continue to treat patients who are noncandidates and then claim that the standard of care isnt firm in this regard in order to avoid lawsuits.

You are absolutely correct!!