Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Contact lens fittings after complicated LASIK
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:50 am 

Eye Contact Lens. 2006 Sep;32(5):233-9.

Varieties of contact lens fittings after complicated hyperopic and myopic laser in situ keratomileusis.

Gruenauer-Kloevekorn C, Fischer U, Kloevekorn-Norgall K, Duncker GI.

Department of Ophthalmology, Martin-Luther University, Halle, Germany. kloevekorn@medizin.uni-halle.de

PURPOSE: To determine whether contact lenses with a special back surface design can improve visual acuity after complicated laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK).

METHODS: Fifteen eyes (six after myopic LASIK and nine after hyperopic LASIK) of eight patients were fitted with contact lenses with a special back surface design for optical rehabilitation. Four different types of lenses (aspheric, tricurve, keratoconus, and reverse) were used selectively, depending on the abnormal eccentricity (positive and exceeding 0.5-0.7 in all preoperatively hyperopic eyes, negative in all preoperatively myopic eyes) determined by videokeratoscope and on individual conditions. The patients were followed up retrospectively for an average period of 12.3 months. Lens tolerance and corrected visual acuity were evaluated and compared with the results obtained with spectacles.

RESULTS: Visual acuity improved in nine (60%) of 15 eyes (three eyes by more than three lines and six eyes by three lines or fewer), with an absence of halos and ghost images in four (26.7%) of 15 eyes accompanied by good contact lens tolerance and a satisfactory contact lens fit. There were no noticeable complications.

CONCLUSIONS: Contact lens fitting after LASIK is a safe and reliable procedure for improving visual acuity and reducing complications, such as ghost images or irregular corneal surface. Depending on the eccentricity and therefore on the preoperative refraction, contact lenses with a special back surface design can minimize problems in contact lens fitting and can improve tolerance and visual results.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:14 pm 

I am very much against the idea of fitting contact lenses after lasik. For one, we now all know that the flap is weak and never heals. There had been reports of patients tearing away the flap completely while removing the contact lens, resulting in blindness that can only be treated by a corneal transplant. I think the danger of wearing contact lenses is considerably higher than having another wavefront guided enhancement.

-Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:41 pm 

zadaw wrote:
I am very much against the idea of fitting contact lenses after lasik. For one, we now all know that the flap is weak and never heals. There had been reports of patients tearing away the flap completely while removing the contact lens, resulting in blindness that can only be treated by a corneal transplant. I think the danger of wearing contact lenses is considerably higher than having another wavefront guided enhancement.

-Derek

OK, that's REALLY scary! I've actually thought that before, "Can wearing contacts after LASIK cause you tip rip your flap off????" And it can???? There has been studies that show this???

Post subject: contacts after lasik
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:21 pm 

I have to say, I personally have not talked to anyone who's had their flap ripping off from contacts... I do know it's important to have a good fitting RGP and to wait some time before getting fitted. I've had bad fitting RGP's. They did not rip my flap off, even though they poked at time, however, it did change my cornea shape a lot and a good fitting contact should not change as much as did for me. (from +0.75 to -2.25)
I'm in glasses now to let my eyes settle before I can get contacts and will need to travel out of state to get best fit,, so saving money first. The contacts will address things that glasses will not.. and if there's one thing I have learned from many,,, it's contacts and glasses are not permanent, and more surgery DEFINITELY is... Most I've talked to , who had a second surgery, made their problems worse.. Only two so far, I can say it helped them some. Plus many I've talked to who have a second surgery, say their contrast got worse , too... I certainly don't need that!

Just sharing my thoughts, I am no expert, I just try to learn from people's first hand experiences that I personally make contact with. Many have benefited from contacts without any flap ripping issues... and I have never talked to an individual personally that had their flap ruined.. Just going by what i know personally, I certainly don't know everyone.

The first surgery damage for me was/is permanent,, so I don't really want MORE permanent damage!!! At least that's what I think , for ME..

As we've learned, everyone is different, and every person's situations is different, and if someone finds relief from more surgery (although I've heard of very few),,, of course I'm VERY happy for them. Like I've said in past,, even if I thought surgery was the way to go,, I would NEVER know who to trust, to do it... The 13 docs I've talked to either don't believe in lasik, hate lasik, wont' do lasik cuz it's harmful or they are docs who lie about it, yell at me, and make up crap to get their money$$$$...

Humbly,,,, Sadeyes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:58 pm 

I can't find that case report right now but I will post the link here when I find it. It involved a patient who was fitted with contact lenses quite soon after the operation. Besides the risk of dislocating the flap, there is also a risk of infecting it.

6 weeks ago, I underwent a wavefront-guided treatment for the visual aberrations in my L eye. So far, it seems to be successful but this is early days yet.

http://www.lasikflap.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

-Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:35 pm 

Interesting, because a couple of weeks ago, my 2nd opinion Dr. wrote me a prescription and told me that I could have glasses or contacts fitted. That was about 2 months and 2 weeks after my LASIK. Fortunately I guess, I decided to do neither with the prescription because I don?t feel safe rubbing or touching my eye area, much less sticking something directly IN them. I didn?t even want to get glasses yet either, because I felt like it was too soon, and how do I know that my eyes are even stable yet? I don?t have the money to buy new lenses every time my prescription changes. Also, I had this little hope that maybe my eyes will get a bit better, and I was afraid that if I got glasses, it wouldn?t force my eyes to work hard and adjust/improve. There is probably no weight to that assumption anyways, but whatever. I figured better safe than sorry.

Post subject: I think contacts are safe for post-LASIK patients
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:20 pm 

I have never heard or seen a report of a patient damaging their flap with contact lenses. I think most patients should wait at least 3 months to be fitted... but after that? Why not.

zadaw said:
Quote:
I think the danger of wearing contact lenses is considerably higher than having another wavefront guided enhancement.

Contact lenses are waaaaaaayyyyy safer than additional surgery. Most patients are not improved or are permanently made worse by additional surgery. Success stories with retreatment for complications are very rare. Zadaw was VERY lucky to realize improved vision with his surgical retreatment. The laser used for Zadaw's retreatment has just been recalled for myopic wavefront LASIK treatments in the U.S. because they have been demonstrated to create corneal distortions. Hmmmm......

How many patients are permanently made worse by contact lenses? Really - still waiting to hear of one.

Regrets... consider going to Lenscrafters and returning your glasses every month till your eyes stabilze. It wasn't Lenscrafters' fault that you had a bad LASIK... but perhaps if enough patients do this the eyecare industry may become more aware that LASIK is a problem.

Healthy corneas don't have an unstable/fluctuating prescription. Many post-LASIK patients do.

Regrets - a good pair of glasses may really help your outlook now. Don't postpone something that could give you a big psychological and emotional boost. Haven't you been through enough? Treat yourself to new glasses even if you have to put them on your charge card. At Lenscrafters you have 30 days to try them out and you can return them within 30 days for a full refund or exchange them for another pair.

Post subject: Try Glasses
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:49 pm 

All: I agree with Scientist.. I walked around for a long time without glasses, and it was a daily nightmare,, not that is still is not, but I at least feel more functionable,,,, not as terrifying, clearer than without, since I'm not plano in each eye and each eye is about a diopter off from eachother and 1 1/2 diopters different in regular astigmatism.. I've taken back 3 pairs of glasses at Pearle Vision with no problems, at least here where I live and they are very helpful, as well.. I even get a discount on my frames and lenses showing them my insurance i.d. It doesn't go thru insurance I don't think, I think some companies get discounts.. but they have been the most reasonably priced and even did some lenses for me twice just because I thought they weren't centered right.. If you give them a new prescription from doctor they will change lenses out no cost within 30-60 days I think.. Check your store,, but glasses will not hurt your eyes.. They may change, but again as I've experienced, that was no problem as long as I had a doc who could give me prescrip. The only time I have seen contacts a problem , was when my surgeon tried putting a soft lens in my eye one week after surgery and then abruptly hit my eye taking it out,, jerk! and I think he's the reason for my mircostraie, since I remember saying , my eyes a little blurrier than it was before that contact fitting.. I never wore those contacts, my eyes were still too sensitive, what was he thinking!

Please do try glasses if you have not yet,, it is worth it,, Even though I dont' see normal,, it still helps to make things clearer just due to the prescription alone and even out my eyes difference and it does help contrast, vs. without glasses, just be sure and get anti-reflective.. If you are overcorrected by chance???, and can't afford glasses at all, I used over the counter readers to help that. They have some cute ones out there that look like regular glasses... That was even better than without any glasses at all, even though it wasn't a right prescrip.. I got used to it. It really helped me be able to function at all.

Sadeyes

p.s. Everyone I've talked to who has had a second surgery to fix an existing problem (besides just prescrip.) has had the surgery make it worse. I'm so happy for the person (is it Regrets?) that has found success with a second surgery, as Scientist said,, that seems to be a rarity..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:50 am 

I was fitted for contacts after surgery..it wasn't right after surgery, maybe a couple months, after my eyes became more stable. Well my surgeon was the one who got them for me. They were the WORST contacts I had ever had! They looked bigger than the normal contacts and I had a terrible time trying to get them out..they like stuck to my eyes which freaked me out even more knowing that my flap was right under it. Tried them once and that was it. Threw them away. I was so angry! He also got me a new pair of glasses for me since I still couldn't see clearly. As my eyes became more stable I had to get another pair (which I have now) and I also got fitted for new contacts (all these were done by a doctor totally not affiliated with the surgery center). I think they were toric (sp??) contacts. I really don't wear my contacts now because it really dries my eyes out, I'll wear them if I have a family function..like a wedding. I've worn them to church but I take them out right after I get home (usually 2 hrs later). It's very frustrating because I would love to go back to wearing contacts all the time. Contacts gave me a bit of dry eyes before my surgery but it's just worse now. I was worried about the flap and dislodging it somehow also, but I don't worry much about that anymore. My prespcription hasn't changed too much since my last eye check up. I'm probably due for one before the year is over.

Last edited by ally1 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I think contacts are safe for post-LASIK patients
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:37 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Scientist wrote:

How many patients are permanently made worse by contact lenses? Really - still waiting to hear of one.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but my first attempt on trying reverse geometrical RGP lenses (which was one year ago, btw, I did my LASIK in 2001) to correct my HOAs was a total failure. Not only that they didn't help, but they had permanently made my vision worse. I'm seeing terrible starbursts, I didn't know what starburst was until I try the lenses. I also experience new glares and haloes. Double images became multiple images, light bleeding everywhere. I have no idea why is this happening. My guess would be because the lenses were rocking too much and somehow scratched and changed the shape of my cornea. I told the OD many times about this but they didn't seem to believe me, they kept on insisting that the lenses would not make my vision worse. :( I got tired talking to them, I discarded the lenses, wasted 1000USD and never return to the OD again.

I'm from Malaysia and it's almost impossible to find any expertise here that could help me. So I plan to traveling to the US and seek for help. (so far I'm hearing great feedbacks from Dr.Gemoules patients ) I really hope we'll find a solution soon and put an end to this agony once and for all.

Wong

Post subject: Question for Wong or anyone else that may know
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:56 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Wong wrote:
So I plan to traveling to the US and seek for help. (so far I'm hearing great feedbacks from Dr.Gemoules patients ) I really hope we'll find a solution soon and put an end to this agony once and for all.
Wong

I saw several months ago on the lasermyeye website that Dr Gemoules was no longer accepting new out of state patients. Has he reversed this new policy?