Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: final attempt,large RGPs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:37 pm 

Well I've finally gotten around to the macrolens type RGP's to try and fix my distorted miscorrected and astigmatized post lasiked eyeballs.Glasses to not help because of severe distortions so it's this or take a chance on addition "enhancements"(it's not even funny using that word).Unfortunately when they arrived,the right lens had a bubble or imperfection in it that you could feel with your finger so I am using the left only.The vision is much clearer than the soft lenses because they will flex and collapse on flattened lasered corneas.
I am trying to stay hopeful and encouraged about these lenses.Contacts can be very hard to tolerate but after 17 months or so of agony,I am trying anything.
I have been to so many doctors it is unbelieveable and some were covered by my insurance.However,known of those would even listen to my symptoms and they refused to fit them.I ended up going back to the OEP I used originally for vision therapy etc to get these fitted.Every penny comes out of pocket for him but he isn't covering up anything like so many other so called "doctors."Another thousand dollars or so to follow the many spent already.
Some have had success with these so I remain hopeful.
Lasik plus remains in total denial and has yet to offer anything but lip service.
I cringe at the thought that "Dr" Anand Ramachandran is probably still performing in my opinion,mutilations of other peoples eyes on a weekly basis.I'm sure I am not alone.
These people need to be stopped.
It's your one and only eyes people,you'd be crazy to take this risk.
I'll report back when I get both RGP's working. :wink:
Thanks so much again for this forum!

Post subject: lasick, hope your replacement lens works like a charm
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:18 am 

lasick, it is encouraging that you have had partial success with one lens. When your mismade lens comes back hopefully you will have improved vision with these lenses.

I know what a long road it can be trying to find some corrections for distorted corneas. I gave up on lenses for the time being because my prescription is unstable. Also I want to wait for the new SynergEyes. Worth a try I think.

I also am amazed that the mutilation continues unabated, and all the surgeons and the industry are aware of the problems... the FDA too... and they do nothing to prevent loss of vision and corneal nerve damage from LASIK eye surgery. It's absolutely sickening, and is enough to make one lose faith in humanity entirely.

Post subject: dry eyes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:02 am 

I'm having a very hard time tolerating any contacts at all because of very dry eyes.I had tried contacts some twenty years ago and couldn't tolerate them,so I was the perfect candidate for lasik,or so I thought.How ironic that lasik forced me into the very thing I couldn't tolerate.Not to mention vertigo hell.
My eyes are getting very sore from either type contacts after wearing them a while and the headaches horrible.I may be one of those people who just can't tolerate them but any more surgery to my eyes scares the hell out of me.I can't imagine it being worse but I'm sure it could be.
It doesn't appear that my life will ever be the same as before my eyes were damaged.It would literally take a miracle.

Post subject: takes some time
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:31 pm 

The first few days were pretty rough and I guess it takes time for your eyes to shape but yesterday was the clearest vision I've had in over a year,especially with any binocularity.Even these lenses ride a little towards my nose which goes along with my raw eyes not zooming out or feeling slightly crossed.They seem to be distorted in that direction and the doctor says the light is bending the wrong way.But to have any decent clarity feels like a miracle in itself.
I actually took a walk yesterday trying to regain some of my equalibrium and everything looked so beautiful.
I'm taking flax oil and fish oil for dryness and got up this morning without my eyes being stuck together so maybe it's working.
What I thought was a bubble was a tiny air hole in the lens.One lens was sent out for a fit adjustment.
So far so good!

Post subject: script keeps moving
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:02 am 

Finally got the lenses both working and felt a little better for a week or so but these are starting to make my eyes hurt and feel puffy and swelled.
They were both focused for about 2 weeks then the left eye started drifting nearsighted again and the headaches and nausea started returning and I can feel the visual strain that becomes agonizing.Only feel good when asleep and thats getting harder to get with the stress level.17 months now trying to regain visual function.Without the contacts I can't get proper binocularity function,just visual confusion.
I'm wondering how long can this prescription drift,it's insane!
Back to the OD again.
The hard lenses are much clearer than the soft and I had forgotten I could ever see this clearly.You really lose all reference after lasik.
Haven't given up yet though. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:50 am 

Is it possible for you to get orthoK or softperm lenses? What is your prescription now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:40 pm 

I went to the same clinic you did and they are of course no help to me. I'm still only 1.5 months into this....just had the procedure done in Sept. but I think my answer will be these lenses too. YUCK!!! I paid thousands of dollars to be in the same boat I was in before. Ugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:46 pm 

If you do have to try contacts,don't bother with the soft lenses.They will likely be unstable as they flex and vary in focus because they will no longer fit correctly on your flattened corneas.Mine are not only flattened but distorted to the point where a "normal RGP will ride on the side of my eye.Even the large scleral lenses ride over towards my nose and I'm beginning to get red marks and some soreness on the white of my eye in towards the nose where they are riding over at.
I wish you all the luck in the world finding a solution.
You are early in the game still so maybe things will improve.
Most of these lasik mills will at least pretend to care until the statute of limitations is up.They have told me at their corp office they were going to help me even recently but they never call or make an attempt to do anything.They were done the day I walked out the door no matter what problem I had.
Best of luck NCM.

Post subject: lasick, have you tried SynergEyes lenses?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:48 am 

Lasick, SynergEyes lenses have a soft skirt that helps keep the lens centered and on your eye, and a hard center for better vision. Try a Google search on SynergEyes and look for a fitter near you.

If your lenses are starting to make marks on your sclera... that's not a good sign.

SynergEyes lenses were developed to fit keratoconus patients who have very irregular corneas.

I think you should stay on top of your laser center. If they promised to help, stay on their behinds. If every patient who had a problem with their LASIK did this, there would be no more LASIK.

You shouldn't be apologetic or meek about your situation. Demand some attention!

Post subject: lasick
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:43 am 

I just found out today that a coworker of mine went to the same butcher shop I did and he is an older gentleman. He said his vision was perfect for three weeks then started to detiorate close up. He said they lied to him, etc...no surprise there....BUT...he finally went to the general manager of the place and at least got a complete refund. They dont seem to care about me either, so I totally sympathize...but take it all the way up the chain of command. Knowing he got his money back by putting his foot down with them has given me some hope. Good luck. If it comes to contacts for me, I just hope it actually works for me!

Post subject: been there
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:45 pm 

I really appreciate the comments friends!
I have a set already of synergeyes lenses that I found harder to wear than these.My eyes got very dry with them like with the softs,possibly because of the wicking out of moisture.Even though I couldn't use them,synergeyes doesn't give refunds either.
By the way,the red spot has cleared up so maybe I'm getting more used to it.I'm watching it closely.
Think I'll call them right now.I've been speaking to corporate. :idea:

Post subject: Re: takes some time
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:15 am 

lasick wrote:
What I thought was a bubble was a tiny air hole in the lens.

It's called fenestration.

lasick wrote:
I'm wondering how long can this prescription drift,it's insane!

Join the club. My refractive error has not been stable since I had LASIK over six years ago. Just this year I regressed even more as a result of wearing SynergEyes lenses. My vision had been stable for 20 years prior to LASIK. :roll:

lasick wrote:
I had forgotten I could ever see this clearly.You really lose all reference after lasik.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm still amazed when I drive at night with my SynergEyes lenses on. I had forgotten that you can actually see the lamp of headlights and taillights of cars, not just blurry massive starbursts. :o I am just thrilled that I can see the entire car, not a big starbursts coming down the road. And traffic lights at night, wow. They don't spread out all over the road. Amazing. :o This is how people who've never had LASIK see. No wonder people like to go out at night. :D After six years, I had morphed into something that barely resembled a normal human being. I keep wondering, ok, when will I get used to seeing normally at night again, or will I always have this overwhelming appreciation for close-to-normal vision. :o

My vision with SynergEyes lenses is not like before LASIK, but it's probably 75% improved, and that's like a miracle to me.

avoidlasik wrote:
Is it possible for you to get orthoK or softperm lenses? What is your prescription now?

avoidlasik, orthoK cannot fix a highly aberrated post-LASIK eye. I would never suggest this to a post-LASIK patient with complications.

OrthoK is something to suggest to patients as an alternative to LASIK. Even though I'd never personally recommend it.

SynergEyes are an improvement over older softperms, so I wouldn't recommend that either.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: still trying
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:14 pm 

Hello friends and fellow lasik victims.
I just wanted to catch up and say that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth or found an answer to my problems as of yet.(19 months or so post lasik)
I am now seeing some doctors at a much larger facility with much more expertise and experience with fitting lasik distorted eyes.The trouble is,we are covering some ground which has already been covered,like small regular contacts.(rgps)They have however given me the best corrected vision I have experienced post lasik.They ride in towards my nose though which makes them very uncomfortable and I can see the outer edges at times.Another big problem is the time involved.It took them a month to even order these and now they want me to wait 3 more weeks for an appt.I am trying to push them to move this along because I've spent near 2 years attempting to find help and I think they can help,apparently it will be on their own schedule but I am again hopeful.
It suppresses my horrible headaches and nausea seeing more correctly but I remain dizzy and disoriented every day.Maybe if I find lenses that are comfortable enough to tolerate, I can lose the dizziness over time and return to work someday.
Lasik plus gives absolutely nothing but lip service and refuses to even refund my money.
Thanks for the support and this website.God bless you all and good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:53 am 

Thanks for the update. I hope you eventually find a workable solution. I am still wearing SynergEyes, but lately I've noticed my vision with them is slipping -- it's like the lenses have a film on them or something and my vision is not as good as it was at first. Sometimes it's as if the room is filled with smoke, and night vision has gotten much worse, but in a different way -- not the starbursts, almost like what I'd expect with cataracts. I think I'll schedule an appointment with my OD and see if the lenses need replacing or if something else is happening.

LASIK is the gift that keeps on giving.

Keep us informed!

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: and giving and giving
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:20 am 

Im getting that affect myself at times with one lense but with this set its the opposite one.It seems to need cleaning but thats not it,it's dryness maybe.
They did call me today and have different lenses for me to try monday.I think I've found a better place.I've got to keep trying.
Thanks for the reply B.E. and best of luck.
:)