Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Consideration of corneal shape in fitting lenses
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:10 pm 

Eye Contact Lens. 2006 Jul;32(4):197-202.

Correlations Between Central and Peripheral Changes in Anterior Corneal Topography After Myopic LASIK and Their Implications in Postsurgical Contact Lens Fitting.

Gonzalez-Meijome JM, Sanudo-Buitrago F, Lopez-Alemany A, Almeida JB, Parafita MA.

From the Department of Physics (Optometry) (J.M.G-M., J.B.A.), School of Sciences, University of Minho, Braga, Portugal; the Ocular Surface, Cornea, and Contact Lens Research Group (F.S-B., A.L-A.), Department of Optics, School of Optics and Optometry, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain; Institute of Ophthalmology and Optometry of La Costera (A.L-A.), Novetle, Spain; and the Department of Surgery (Ophthalmology) (M.A.P.), School of Optics and Optometry, University of Santiago de Compostela, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.

PURPOSE.: To investigate the changes in central and peripheral anterior corneal curvatures after myopic laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) and to correlate them with the manifest refractive change to discuss how such results could affect post-LASIK corneal topography profiles and midterm stability and their implications in postsurgical contact lens fitting.

METHODS.: Topographic and refractive data from 18 eyes of 11 patients that had undergone myopic LASIK were collected for 6 months after surgery. Short-term and midterm topographic responses were investigated and correlated with spherical equivalent manifest refractive changes.

RESULTS.: There was a strong correlation between eccentricity changes and manifest refractive change 15 days after surgery (r = 0.753, P<0.001), with no significant changes thereafter for the following 6 months (r = 0.148, P=0.114). A strong linear relationship was found between baseline manifest refraction and changes in corneal curvature at the center (r = 0.810, P<0.001), 4-mm chord (r = 0.895, P<0.001), and 6-mm chord (r = 0.696, P<0.001). Statistically significant changes were also found after the first 15 days (P<0.005) and showed a regression effect that affects the three zones. In this case, a weaker relationship was found between curvature regression and the final refractive change for the central location (r = 0.412, P=0.004), 4-mm chord area (r = 0.430, P=0.003), and 6-mm chord area (r = 0.283, P=0.023).

CONCLUSIONS.: After myopic LASIK, the anterior corneal dioptric power is expected to change, on average, approximately 77% of the attempted spherical equivalent correction at the center; 60% at the 4-mm chord region, where the stronger correlation between topographic and refractive change is found; and 30% at the 6-mm chord area. The paracentral area 4 mm from the center seems to be more likely to predict baseline corneal curvature from manifest refractive change. Some degree of regression in the midterm period is expected to occur after myopic LASIK, which shows a significant correlation with the manifest refractive change. Again, this effect is more evident and more accurately predicted at the 4-mm chord area. The results of the current study are of interest for those fitting contact lenses after myopic LASIK.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: What?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:19 am 

Do you mean to tell us that these authors are discussing power changes across a 6 mm cornea as if it were the 'norm' after LASIK? And some degree of regression is EXPECTED to occur??? Shouldn't they be screaming bloody murder?

Doesn't anyone want to comment that in a normal cornea there are not abrupt power changes over the area of the entrance pupil?

Power changes across the entrance pupil = decreased visual quality after LASIK. No wonder I'm living in this warped fun-house mirror hell of visual distortion with no escape since my surgery.

At least this article may help some lens fitters restore some vision for damaged LASIK patients.

Post subject: ditto
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:06 am 

I'm in there with you eye,but it's not really a "fun" house is it.
Tomorrow I'm insisting on trieing the macrolens no matter how hard my latest eye doctor attempts to steer me away.I'm at the end of the line,nowhere else to go.I'll post on my experience.
My vision seems to be more of a visual confusion than distortion.The eyes just won't team up and work together.
Here's hoping that the macros might help and that my dry eyes can handle it. :roll:

Post subject: Re: ditto
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:58 am 

lasick wrote:
I'm in there with you eye,but it's not really a "fun" house is it.
Tomorrow I'm insisting on trieing the macrolens no matter how hard my latest eye doctor attempts to steer me away.I'm at the end of the line,nowhere else to go.I'll post on my experience.
My vision seems to be more of a visual confusion than distortion.The eyes just won't team up and work together.
Here's hoping that the macros might help and that my dry eyes can handle it. :roll:

Does your contact lens doc seem reluctant to fit you in Macros? I have been getting the same deal from the doc that I have been seeing. Apparently he does fit them but it seems that he would like to try every possible lens before ''getting into it with the Macros''. I'm wondering if the Macros are bad for the eye or if they are just really difficult or expensive to fit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:55 am 

Probably more trouble to fit and he says harder to wear.I would wear a stick in each eye if it would help though.Know what I mean?
How are the softs working for you?
I am currently wearing one acuvue oaysis and glasses to correct astigmatism.

Soft contacts don't seem to work out to well on post refractives.I've had them all and they aren't very stable.They are probably fine on non-ablated eyes.So what the hell did I get lasik for?I could have just worn contacts or glasses instead of screwing everything up until nothing works.Oh,this makes me so mad.Greedy lieing *@#$%*'s.
If you haven't done it,don't even consider it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:11 am 

I do know what you mean.

The soft lens seems to help fill in the irregularities in my left eye where I do not need much refractive correction. it is not pre-lasik vision by any stretch of the imagination but I will take any improvement at this point. However, my astigmatism was majorly under corrected (actually over corrected to nearly half of my original script on a different axis) in my right eye and the soft lens will not stay put. I see weird trails and ghosting as I look from right to left. My doc is going to try a new soft lens on Thursday. I will let you know how it goes.

Post subject: Re: What?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:37 pm 

Eye wrote:
Power changes across the entrance pupil = decreased visual quality after LASIK.

I think I have crossed over to a new perspective on this whole thing. :lol: Instead of getting mad and wanting to rip their heads off and throw them to wild boars, now I want to laugh when I read this stuff. Why do I want to laugh? They seem so stupid to me (referring to LASIK surgeons, of course). When you read an article like this, and think about the idiots/experts who say pupil size doesn't matter, it just makes me think how ridiculous that is, and how stupid they are for saying that.

Duh! :roll:

Since when did the corneal power not matter to the retinal image?

Variable corneal power across entrance pupil = degraded retinal image (starbursts, halos, ghosts, loss of contrast sensitivity, etc).

Is this stuff really over their heads??? If it is, then someone needs to pry their lasers out of their stupid hands. When I think about the impact of their stupidity on human lives, I can easily start to get mad again.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:48 pm 

Ok,he absolutely refuses to fit the macros,but I have another problem.My right eye has finally drifted to plano and even though a contact may help,they don't make a zero.He put a -.5 in my right eye of the acuvue oaysis.I've only had it in a few hours but it seems to help my eyes work together.It really drives me crazy to have one eye out of focus but it is slight and I'll continue wearing it to see if it helps the binocular disfunction.The way my prescription keeps drifting,I'll probably drift right on into focus.
If it does help,it looks like I'll then be forced into monovision.

Post subject: Corneal refractive surgery limits future correction options
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:14 pm 

Did your doctor give you a reason that he won't fit you with macros? It would be interesting to hear his rationale.

Lasick, I can sympathize with the drifting prescription problem. Mine is all over the place, too. I have had Sooooooo many different pairs of glasses.

Hope your single lens does the trick. More people should realize that corneal refractive surgery gives you fewer options - not more. You can really be 'stuck' with bad vision with few or even NO options for good correction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:27 pm 

Well,I always had trouble wearing contacts,that's why I had lasik. :roll: He says they are much harder to wear and he don't think I could stand them.
Sorry if I mislead but I am wearing two contacts,I was only wearing one before.My OEP has said that I need both,to replace the distorted corneas.
I could instantly "feel"a difference in my visual functionality.Time will tell if I lose some of the disorientation.Today is big for me and I'm anxious to see what it is like.(hardly slept at all)It is annoying though having a -.5 in one eye but I've got to try everything.I really hate monovision.
Check out the fourth paragraph here.

http://www.richmondproducts.com/1378Awa ... ikonia.htm

Post subject: Re: Corneal refractive surgery limits future correction opti
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:02 pm 

Truly wrote:
Lasick, I can sympathize with the drifting prescription problem. Mine is all over the place, too. I have had Sooooooo many different pairs of glasses.

Here I go again! I just got new glasses about two months ago and last night I noticed my right eye has changed again!!! Six years and still fluctuating!!!! Grrrrr! :evil: