Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Synergeyes contacts
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:13 am 

I was checking into these contacts today, and found out that in October Synegeyes is launching a post surgical contact lense. I also got some names of practioners in the Boston area, if anyone is interested I can supply you with the list. Here are a few in the mean time

Mass Eye and Ear Infirmery
Dr. Jill Beyer
617-573-3185

Havard Vangaurd
Dr Robert Smith
617-654-7150

New England Eye Institute
Dr. Ron Watanabe, OD
617-262-2020

I hope this is useful and helpful information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:26 am 

I may go with a pair of standard Synergeyes in the meantime but I am excited to know that I will have more options in the near future. Also, I believe that I have met Dr. Jill Beyer. She is definitely enthusiastic about her craft and totally cute. Excuse me but I am a younger gentlemen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:16 pm 

I'm wearing SynergEyes, the standard lenses. The right eye is good (relatively speaking, of course) but we have not been able to get the left eye straightened out. I am hoping when the post-surgical lens comes out that we can try again and get my left eye seeing as well as my right eye.

I never thought I'd find some lenses that I can tolerate that help me as much as the SynergEyes lenses do. I'm very thankful for them. The biggest problem I have with them (other than the left eye acuity) is that my eyes are so dry they stick to my eyes and it's hard to get them off. By early evening I can hardly tolerate them.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Eye Appt
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:26 pm 

Well, I have an appointment with Dr. Ron Watanabe, OD from New England Eye Institute on the 20th of June. Please keep your fingers crossed that he's able to fit me with some lenses. I will keep you informed on the status of the lenses and also on Dr. Watanabe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:55 pm 

Does anyone know how long one needs to wait after PRK to start trying these lenses? I ask my doctor but all he will say is you won't need them, don't worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:38 pm 

''The biggest problem I have with them (other than the left eye acuity) is that my eyes are so dry they stick to my eyes and it's hard to get them off.'' By early evening I can hardly tolerate them.''

I have not tried to wear contacts regularly since lasik so I am definitely a bit nervous about taking them in and out. Especially if they are going to get stuck to my eye. Yikes! I had a trial RGP placed on my eye and it felt like my eye was being gouged out when he removed it after five minutes. How many hours per day can you usually wear the Synergeyes lenses comfortably without having any problems?

Also, does anyone know the exact difference between the standard and post refractive Synergeyes lenses? I may wait for the new lenses if they are safer after lasik.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:06 pm 

Maverick wrote:
How many hours per day can you usually wear the Synergeyes lenses comfortably without having any problems?

It varies. Some days my eyes are more dry than other days. Generally after just a few hours of wear they are stuck. In the late afternoon, they are definitely stuck. If I try to watch TV while wearing them, they stick. Ceiling fans are out of the question. Hopefully your eyes are not as dry as mine. Don't NOT try them because of my experience.

Maverick wrote:
Also, does anyone know the exact difference between the standard and post refractive Synergeyes lenses? I may wait for the new lenses if they are safer after lasik.

As far as I know, the only difference will be that the post-refractive lens will have a reverse curve to better fit a centrally flattened cornea. I was a moderate myope and had only one surgery, which might explain why the standard lens works for me -- at least on the right eye. I would guess that a high myope or someone who's had enhancements might need the reverse curve. I still don't know why the left eye is giving me problems, but at least I have one more thing to try when the reverse curve comes out.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Synergeyes not for everyone?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:48 pm 

I just emailed my contact doc regarding these as his name is listed as a recommended practitioner. :
"The major downsides of this type of lens are the limitations the parameters the gas perm center is available in (as well as the soft skirt limitations) - it just won't fit your very irregular cornea as well as the topography-guided lens I designed for you. Additionally, because the gas perm portion of the synergyes lens doesn't align very well with the underlying cornea, it tends to induce very significant changes to the shape of the cornea."
Oh well. Vision is very good with the topo-guided lense....until the dry eye goo starts which creates a fog. Use of lots of eye drops develops more stickiness, flakes in eyelashes that migrate under the lense. Fewer applications helps so I wait until they burn. Switch to saline when I can't clean them properly but it doesn't last long.
All day, every day, in my face hassle. Still looking, though.

Post subject: Don't know till you try...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:08 pm 

Hi Sixeyes. Wouldn't hurt to try the SynergEyes because even if you did get changes in shape (which can cause spectacle blur when you remove the lenses). This won't matter if you can wear the lens all day. Right now you are struggling with getting through the day in your current lenses. Lenses with a soft skirt may be easier to tolerate all day. You don't know if your vision will be noticeably better or worse than your current Zwaves until you try the SynergEyes. Broken Eyes gets good vision from her SynergEyes, but could not tolerate her Zwaves.This is something to consider.

Everyone's post-LASIK cornea is deformed in a unique way. Isn't that great? :twisted:

Last edited by Eye on Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: How soon for lenses after PRK?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:14 pm 

overcorrected said:

Quote:
Does anyone know how long one needs to wait after PRK to start trying these lenses? I ask my doctor but all he will say is you won't need them, don't worry about it.

Corneal refractive surgeons hate to admit that their patients need corrective lenses. That's why you should always get a 2nd opinion refraction from an Optometrist who does not comanage LASIK. You need to ask to make sure that there is no comanagement.

I have heard lens fitters say that they have fit LASIK patients (who have that vulnerable flap) at three months if there is a need.

One would assume that a PRK cornea is more stable, although PRK eyes ARE more susceptible to corneal erosions. I would call a good lens fitter with experience in fitting post-refractives and ask how many months out you'll need to be to make an appointment with him/her for a fitting.

One good person to ask would be Dr. Kenneth Minarik - I think you need to remove the spaces in the e-mail before you use it.

Kenneth Minarik: doctor_my_eye@msn.com

Post subject: my synergeyes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:23 pm 

Well I got the lenses, and they are somewhat comfortable, but my vision isn't the greatest with them. I'm going back to get a new script and will let you know. I think the problem for me is that the gas perm part of the lense isn't toric. I think that's what it called when you have an astigmastism. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If they can't get a good prescription for me I was thinking of trying the gas perm lenses again. Luckily, my eyes aren't as dry as ohters, so I might be able to pull it off. What other lenses are recommended?

Thanks for input!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:26 am 

Quote:
It varies. Some days my eyes are more dry than other days. Generally after just a few hours of wear they are stuck. In the late afternoon, they are definitely stuck. If I try to watch TV while wearing them, they stick. Ceiling fans are out of the question. Hopefully your eyes are not as dry as mine. Don't NOT try them because of my experience.

It seems that it is normal for the Synergeyes lenses to stick even for people who have not had refractive surgery. I met with a doc recently to be fitted and he said that it seems to be very common with the Synergeyes lenses. They even include instructions for removing the lenses when they become stuck in the Synergeyes lens removal video. Does the sticking cause you any discomfort or problems? Do you use rewetting drops when you wear your lenses? I am picking mine up tomorrow and I am hoping for the best. I also keep hearing good things about Blink rewetting drops. I'm gonna try those if they are okay to use with the Synergeyes. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Post subject: Re: my synergeyes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:33 am 

dianekimby wrote:
Well I got the lenses, and they are somewhat comfortable, but my vision isn't the greatest with them. I'm going back to get a new script and will let you know. I think the problem for me is that the gas perm part of the lense isn't toric. I think that's what it called when you have an astigmastism. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If they can't get a good prescription for me I was thinking of trying the gas perm lenses again. Luckily, my eyes aren't as dry as ohters, so I might be able to pull it off. What other lenses are recommended?

Thanks for input!!!!

Are you having a problem with your acuity or the stability of your vision? Like any RGP for mild to moderate astigmatism your quality of vision should not be affected by rotation with Synergeyes lenses. This is a common problem with soft toric lenses. Before lasik I would need to manually rotate my soft toric lenses with my finger several times a day to maintain clear vision. I would blink and then open my eyes to a total blur. I tried several different Syergeyes lenses the other day and only one of them seemed to remain stable. He tried every possible fit. The problems you are having may be due to an imroper fit or prescription.

http://www.eyetopics.com/articles/10/1/ ... stigmatism

Post subject: Re: Synergeyes not for everyone?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:57 pm 

sixeyes wrote:
"Additionally, because the gas perm portion of the synergyes lens doesn't align very well with the underlying cornea, it tends to induce very significant changes to the shape of the cornea."

This happened to me. I became more nearsighted after I started wearing these lenses.

Post subject: Re: my synergeyes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:20 pm 

dianekimby wrote:
I think the problem for me is that the gas perm part of the lense isn't toric.

I have lasik-induced astigmatism, also. Toric lenses are soft lenses. It's a non-issue when you wear hard lenses, including SynergEyes.