Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Success with mini-scleral RGP lenses
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:32 pm 

This is my first post in these forums, but I've recently experienced a significant success in my quest to recover my quality of vision after LASIK, and I felt that it was important to share my results so that others are aware that there is hope. In my case, I was fit with mini-scleral lenses by Dr. Greg Gemoules, O.D. of Coppell, TX. I made the trip from Colorado to visit Dr. Gemoules after reading of success he has had with other post-RS patients.

I had LASIK about 8 months ago, and like everybody else here, I was a "perfect canidate" for the surgery. Unfotunately, the screening OD and Surgeon who performed my surgery were both under the impression that pupil size really wasn't a factor in having a successful LASIK outcome, and as such, neither bothered to mention to me that my surgical plan involved a correction zone much smaller than my large 9mm pupils. If they had mentioned this, my own logic may have led me to abort my plans for the surgery. Needless to say, the results of my surgery were disasterous (in spite of being considered a success by my surgeon). Sure, I see just fine in bright natural lighting, but my quality of vision diminishes rapidly in even moderate lighting conditions and glasses do nothing to help the situation. I experience a servere loss of contrast sensitivity, and all of the other GASH effects that many here are familiar with. Some level of visual disturbance from my HOAs is probably visible in roughly 80% of the situations I find myself in, but evenings can be nearly intollerable. The last 8 months of my life have been a living nightmare. I have difficulty seeing in my own home in the evenings due to loss of contrast sensitivity. I have difficulty driving or functioning outdoors after dark due to extreme halos and starbursts that dominates my visual field. I have been unable to watch movies in my self-built Home Theater as the images are nothing more than a smeary mess. Even watching TV in a room with lights on was an unpleasant task. As time passed, no significant improvements came on thier own. I occupied much of my spare time in search of possible solutions for my problems. I briefly considered a zone widening surgery, but quickly dismissed that idea. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. At about 4 months post-surgery, I discovered Alphagan P drops. These drops caused my pupils to operate in a smaller range for about 6 to 8 hours, and resulted in a significant improvement in my dim light vision. Unfortunately, the drops lose effectiveness if used on a regular basis, so their use had to be limited to once or twice a week. The drops also tended to make me drowsy and dried out my eyes, but it was well worth those side-effects for the occasional evening of relief. Still, the drops did not offer a viable long term solution, as I still had to function on days when I wasn't able to use the Alphagan P drops.

For about the last 4 months I've been investigating the possiblity of being fit with custom RGP lenses capable of providing an optical zone large enough to help with my ablation zone pupil size mismatch problem. I investigated 3 seperate local ODs with experience fitting lenses on irregular corneas, but in the end I decided to make the trip to Coppell, TX to see Dr. Gemoules. The testimonials of success I had read from some of Dr. Gemoules' patients with similar issues as mine were very powerful. In addition, I had seen far too many reports of failures others have had with local ODs (working months or years with no acceptable results).

I had to wait at least 6 months post surgery before being fit with RGP lenses, but the best time for me to make the trip turned out to be last week, which was about 8 months post-surgery. I am so glad I made the trip. The lenses that Dr. Gemoules fit me with have effectively reduced my total Higher Order Aberrations to pre-surgical levels. The visual results are nothing short of stunning. With the lenses in, my vision remains crisp and clear even as the light fades. I'm able to maintain excellent contrast sensitivity even in the dimmest of situations. The starburts and halos that once dominated my nightime vision are gone, and I can appreciate the beauty of all the Christmas lights that are out at this time of the year. Last night I did something I've been wanting to do for the last 8 months. I sat down in my Home Theater and watch the first two hours of the extended edition of Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring on my 10' screen. There was not a single hint of any ghosting or smearing. The entire movie looked absolutely fabulous.

I'm still in the process of evaluating how I'm going to do with actual wear time with the lenses in the dry Colorado climate, but so far things are going very well. I generally have very little lens awareness, and I was able to wear the lenses for about 13 hours yesterday before I removed them at around 10:30 in the evening to go to bed.

By the way, according to Wavefront scans taken with and without the lenses, my total Higher Order Abberations have been reduced by about 90%, and Coma and Spherical Abberation have each been reduced by about 95%. The resulting RMS readings in microns for these HOAs when I wear the lenses are comparable to my pre-surgical readings...which is exactly what my eyes tell me. :)

I hope this post helps someone out there to consider RGPs as an option to reduce or eliminate higher order aberrations induced by refractive surgery. It was posted success stories from other individuals similar to this that led me down the RGP path, and I'm glad they took the time to share thier experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:12 am 

Your story was nothing short of inspiring. I know that eventually I am going to have to make a trip somewhere and let someone fit me for RGPs. Just hearing you say that you have regained some quality of life back makes me feel good for you. I just hope that my eyes are able to respond as well as yours did. I also had 9mm pupils. It's my dim light vision that really bothers me. I find myself going to WalMart buying lamps with new light bulbs to luminate my house more. I never had this problem pre-LASEK. Thanks for sharing your success story. This in itself gives me some hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:35 pm 

junekat wrote:
I find myself going to WalMart buying lamps with new light bulbs to luminate my house more. I never had this problem pre-LASEK.

Yes, that does sound familiar. My home is a lot better lit now than it was 8 months ago. :) Of course, over the last few days it's been nice not having the overwhelming urge to turn on every single light in the home as I move about in the evenings.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your success story. This in itself gives me some hope.

You are quite welcome! I'm just returning the favor for all the success stories shared by others that gave me hope in the months since my surgery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:08 am 

Hello byancey,

I am so glad to read about your success with custom RGPs fitted by Dr Gemoules.

I had similar success with ZWAVE RGPs fitted by an OD in Jackson, MI, After a year in the dry climate of Phoenix, AZ I have found that my RGP wear time has not changed much from what it was in Michigan.

It is SO important to let other post-LASIKers know that visual rehabilitation is possible, and to help them find the ODs who have experience and success in helping us. I too had read stories of people trying lens after lens, without success, and spending thousands of dollars trying.

I was fortunate, the first pair of RGPs my OD designed worked for me; and last year, I spent less than $1000 to get re-fitted and get three pairs of lenses. (I trade them off to get longer soaking times in the cleaning solutions.)

Regards,

Lynne