Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:06 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Really not doing well
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:42 pm 

I would like to have some advice from others who have experienced an overcorrection after LASEK. This is very, very distressing to me and it is causing me constant nausea, imbalance, and fatigue. I had to take leave from my job due to just not being able to function the way I was before LASEK. I am about 6 weeks out now on my Left eye which was overcorrected and my Dr. said that I see about 20/25 which has regressed some from 3 weeks post op at 20/15. I do have some double vision, and induced astigmatism, but on my last visit, they were able to sharpen things up with lenses, so I guess that is a good thing, but I am suffering every day. When I look at the vision chart at the Dr. office, the images look MICRO and very far away as compared to the right eye which things are pretty good in. My Dr. does not want to accept failure at this point and basically refused to listen to my complaints and attributed them to something other than my LASEK overcorrection. I guess my question is, Is there a soft contact lense that can somehow correct the astigmatism and sharpen things up as well has bring them a little bit closer to me so that both my eyes are even. Any advice accepted. I need one now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:48 pm 

I can't speak for everyone here, yet I believe it might be in your best interest to contact Dr. Ed Boshnick. The majority of his patients are refractive surgery related. First, and foremost, get your records from your doctor, IN COLOR, ASAP. Digitize them. It would be easier to send them to doctors. Then, call an honest doctor (i.e. Dr.Boshnick). Temporarily go get glasses for your left eye. You mentioned that you have irregular astigmatism in that eye... the glasses would make the text bigger, yet your higher order aberations would be ore noticeable (possible increase in double vision, smearing, etc...)... It's a start..... By the way ...
Quote:
My Dr. does not want to accept failure at this point and basically refused to listen to my complaints and attributed them to something other than my LASEK overcorrection.
... find another doctor.

With your records in hand, you could analyze everything there under the proverbial microscope and see if you were truly a candidate for the procedure. You might have a case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:34 am 

I wasn't overcorrected but I do have induced astigmatism. Two months after LASIK I was wearing glasses with a plano lens for my left eye and plano -1.00 lens for my right eye. (Later I regressed nearly half of my correction).

If I were you I would be wearing a corrective lens for that left eye. If they were able to "sharpen up your vision" with the refractor, then get some glasses or contacts. They will help.

I cannot understand why LASIK patients go around in blurryland instead of getting some glasses or contacts. I suppose it's because their surgeons don't want to see their patients wearing glasses. It's bad for business. :roll:

If I were you I'd ditch that quack surgeon and go see a good optometrist. And be very careful choosing an optometrist. Some of them are in bed with LASIK surgeons. Like LasikBS said, go see Dr. Boshnick if you can afford the trip and take your medical records with you.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Off Balance
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:39 pm 

JuneKat:
I'll share with you what I have learned and experienced.. My eyes are both off about a whole dioptor and when I tried glasses, it did help to even things out.. It took a little getting used to since my whole body was used to feeling off..... I felt like you nauseated, dizzy, off for sometime and it did go away for the most part. There are times I feel a little dizzy, but it passes.. I don't make it easy on myself though, because I change up all the time,, daily or week at a time, or maybe by hour..whatever feels right in the moment is what I do.. I wore glasses for sometime, but I started getting worse ghosting, so it made it more obvious and the distortion and feeling like I was walking in a glass house.,,, so now sometimes go without and sometimes with readers.. If you want to try a cheap way,,, go buy a pair of readers, just try some and see what it does for you.. I can't say,,,, since everyone is different.. but I wear +1.00 readers and sometimes it's more tolerable than glasses or nothing. My left eye is +1.50 and my right about +0.75.. and I have astigmatism. All I gain with them though, remember since over the counter, is some clarify of distance in my left eye and my right eye I see better close up, since it's more of a reading glass for that eye. It's just an idea.. I've tried everything from cheap sunglasses with yellow tint to help glare, or orange tint to give me more color contrast, to prescrip. glasses, to nothing, to readers. and so far the readers at $15.00 have been more tolerable than glasses. I'm not saying you shouldn't try them, everyone is different. I keep trying anything to get relief and every day can be different, so I've learned to just do what makes sense and least disturbing in the moment.
I know that hard contact lenses (give much better contrast than soft) are my only real best choice.. Soft contacts do not help abberations . I have also learned from many, many people.. the truth is the contacts will only be as effective as the doctor is experienced in dealing with post-lasik. So having the best post-lasik doc is the best chance for better vision. I can't afford a visit till next summer, myself, and use the other tools I mentioned until then.
So sorry you are suffering.. I truly understand how awful it is.. I wanted to leave this earth,, but I know there is some hope.. just need to try the resources those before have learned about. And I will , the right time for ME is next year..
I dont' know if this will be true for you.., but eventually the daily nausea and dizziness have subsided.. I hope that holds true for you and I think better chances of that with glasses that even out your prescription, since your eyes are different. What they say is true,, I see all thing bigger than I did before. I used to be nearighted by -12.00 glasses,, now I'm farsighted. Huge difference.. I'm getting more used to it,, really have no choice, but to accept it.. It's hard to find optometrists you can trust, unless you get a referal from someone who is botched lasik who went and got help.. Optometrists get paid for referring their patients to lasik surgeons. I know of NOT ONE doc here in my town that doesn't get paid for referring. I thought I found one that wanted to help , recently after going to 14 docs,, but he does not, he just wants my money and I ended up with nothing I could use after spending $1,300.00 out of my pocket and more with insurance.
You will hear people talk sue, alot,,,, well my personal belief is everyone needs to be aware every state is different. Every case is different.. There is NO guarantee you can, but is you get all records and give to an attorney who only charges if you win the case,, you are out no money. I have talked with 3 lawyers ,, I have no case. Complications do not warrant ability to sue,, if you have a pre-existing condition that excludes you from having lasik, you have a chance,, but again the laywers are in it for the $$ , too,,, so unless you are unable to work, or work in the future and have huge amount of financial loss ( they do not much look at those where their insurance has paid bills or if you are working).. If they can make more than they spend in the case, they may try.. otherwise they will not. I have learned best to just keep trying to find the best way to live and find contacts/fitter to help me. Just thought I'd throw that out there.. Getting a case is very hard, tough for lawyers to find docs (not that they can't) who will testify against another doc. But again, biggest part is they need to be making a boat load of money to do a case and would have to have a lot to stand on to do so.
Please let me know how you are doing and if you have found anything to help.. Don't know if my ideas would work for you, but trying stuff only gives you a better chance for improvement. Again, so , so sorry you are having to go through this. It's awful, isnt' it? I know....
Sadeyes

Post subject: Hope you are doing better
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:29 pm 

junkat,

I agree with Broken Eyes. First go to a regular Optometrist and see if you can wear some of those new soft lenses for astigmatism.

Your Optometrist will be able to order lenses that will compensate for your overcorrection.

If that doesn't work, get in touch with Ed Boshnick.

You may regress from that overcorrection in time, but there is no point in being miserable in the meantime. The astigmatism is NOT likely to correct itself.