Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Use of contact lens instead of LASIK\PRK
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:00 pm 

I have decided not to go ahead with LASIK/PRK because of the various threads on this forum. I was just made aware of a possible contact lens that will shape your cornea, somewhat along the lines of LASIK, can anyone explain this to me?

On the topic of lens, is there a lens that will correct vision that can be inserted, like Intacs to correct nearsideness? I have used contact lens in the past, I believe I used Toric lens, and I hated them. At the time it was my only option, at least that is what I was told. I found them really thick. I have no idea what my prescription is, but my glasses are not at all thick, at least in my mind. Sorry for not providing more information. Thanks.

Post subject: Contacts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:54 pm 

Hank:
I never tried toric which are astigmatism contacts , usually soft lenses, but nowadays they are making all things thinner (glasses lenses,etc.) and if you found them to be thick, you may find that not to be the case anymore. I would find a good optometrist or write Dr. Boshnick on this forum (looks like he reads here) to find out what might work or find his web, for his office e-mail. If you're glasses you are wearing are thin, you probably do not have a real high prescription and there are so many SUPER COOL! frames nowadays, you may even want to look at that aspect and buy many and change them out when you want.. Intacs is a surgery that does alter you cornea. They are plastic pieces that are inserted in the cornea, so personally I would stay away from that.. It's another money maker with risks , and it's for very low myopes, i think up to -2.00 or -3.00 only, but again they are plastic inserts that are lodged in your eye , I beleive about midway in the cornea they use a laser to carve away a sort of a ledge for the inserts to sit on and if they are put in incorrectly, they have to back in and try to make adjustments to make your prescrip right and again you are taking risks inside the eye. I know a lady who had them,,, and they ended up being so bad, they had to rip them out and had her on demerol in the hospital, and then did a corneal transplant in one of the eyes.. This is an invasive surgery,,, and just another way to make money for the docs in just a different form than lasik, No safer than lasik, in my opinion in the end.
After all I've learned , I would not do anything invasive , surgically to the eye that is completely reversable and no risk, and the only thing I know of that is,,, is the thing you mentioned with a contact you sleep in, it actually reshapes the shape of the eye, and it will go back,, but that's why you have to keep wearing every night to get the result.. I know that wearing contacts overnight is a general no-no due to bacteria, etc,,, so I wouldn't do it, but at least it's reversable,, I just don't know if infection has ever been an issue. I got infection bad from extended wear contacts years ago, so I know it could happen.
I would ask optometrists about all the new lenses out, or look on web, I've read about so many.... or get cool glasses,, but then that's me, cuz I would die for that option.
Wishing you the best....
Sadeyes

Post subject: Re: Use of contact lens instead of LASIK\PRK
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm 

hank1105 wrote:
I have decided not to go ahead with LASIK/PRK because of the various threads on this forum. I was just made aware of a possible contact lens that will shape your cornea, somewhat along the lines of LASIK, can anyone explain this to me?

On the topic of lens, is there a lens that will correct vision that can be inserted, like Intacs to correct nearsideness? I have used contact lens in the past, I believe I used Toric lens, and I hated them. At the time it was my only option, at least that is what I was told. I found them really thick. I have no idea what my prescription is, but my glasses are not at all thick, at least in my mind. Sorry for not providing more information. Thanks.

Here's a link to some info on the FDA website. Scroll down to Ortho-K.
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/contactlenses/types.html

I do not promote these lenses because I've read that some patients have problems, such as night vision halos, and if they don't center perfectly you might see ghosted images.

Don't even think about Intacs! Bad news! And if anyone mentions ICLs or phakic IOLs, run, run, run the other way and never look back.

I would suggest you look into some newer soft contact lens designs that are more comfortable than the lenses you used to wear. RGPs work well for patients with astigmatism if you can tolerate them.

Hopefully, Dr. Boshnick or Dr. Minarik will have some suggestions for you.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:40 pm 

This forum is great, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post. My next step is to find a doctor in my area that is has experience with people that don't always agree with contacts. I will keep everyone posted. At this point, I think I will just go the good old glasses/contacts route, I just don't want to screw with my eyes if I don't have too.

Post subject: contacts/glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:28 pm 

Hank:
I'm so glad you made the decision to do a non-invasive/ non-surgical choice.. You have chosen your god given perfect eyes and when you find the right contacts/glasses,,,,, you will have the oppty to enjoy all the blessings of great sight and beauty in life.
If any contact doesn't fit well (bad fitting),, it won't be comfortable, so a good doc will be the key.. If you get a good fit with gas perms,, they should be comfortable.. , but just like Broken Eyes wrote,, there are newer soft contacts out ; actually many new ones I've read about and certainly one of those should work.. There are daily disposables, too, so that you don't have to worry about irritation from solutions (these days many of those seem to not be very good) and that way you can avoid any problems, plus dailys means you have a good clean contact evertime and no build-up over time. Here's quite a few, and there's probably many more. Here's the link, with pics http://www.aclens.com/contact-lens-brands.asp

Contact Lens Manufacturers

Bausch & Lomb [ See all Bausch & Lomb contact lenses ]
Soflens One Day, Soflens Multifocal, Soflens 59 (B&L 2 Week), Soflens 66, Optima FW, Optima 38 DW
Bausch & Lomb is the eye health company, dedicated to perfecting vision and enhancing life for consumers around the world. Its core businesses include soft contact lenses and rigid gas permeable contact lenses and contact lens care products, and ophthalmic surgical and pharmaceutical products. The Bausch & Lomb name is one of the best known and most respected healthcare brands in the world.

Biocompatibles Proclear Compatibles
Proclear Compatibles contact lenses manufactured by Cooper Vision (formerly Biocompatibles). Proclear Compatibles are the only contact lenses the FDA allows to claim: "May provide improved comfort for contact lens wearers who experience mild discomfort or symptoms relating to dryness during lens wear".
Proclear Compatibles contact lenses are made from a next generation, biocompatible soft contact lens material. They provide increased moisture retention and wearing comfort. Proclear Compatibles contact lenses utilize unique phosphorylcholine technology developed by Biocompatibles. This technology helps reduce the build up of dirt and deposits and enables the lenses to retain more moisture, allowing you enjoy a full day of comfortable wear. Each box contains 6 monthly disposable soft contact lenses in borate buffered saline solution. 38% polymer (omafilcon A) 62% Water. This lens is manufactured and distributed by Cooper Vision (formerly Biocompatibles).

Boston Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) [ See all Boston RGP contact lenses ]
Boston Envision, Boston Equalens, Boston EO, Boston ES, Boston RXD, Boston II, Boston IV, Boston VII
Boston Equalens rigid gas permeable contact lenses. Boston GP (gas permeable) contact lenses are often an excellent choice for people with sensitive eyes, dry eyes, or astigmatism. Available in a variety of materials and designs Patented, ultra-smooth, non-stick surface that resists dirt and debris so lenses stay fresh May be an option for people who have had difficulty wearing soft contact lenses or eyeglasses.

Rigid Gas Permeable contact lenses are small, durable, slightly flexible lenses that are custom designed to fit your eyes and can be made in a wide range of parameters. RGPs correct astigmatism and provide sharp clear vision.

Ciba Vision [ See all Ciba contact lenses ]
Focus 1-2 Week, Focus Dailies, Focus Monthly, Focus Night & Day, Focus SoftColors, CibaSoft SoftColors, CibaSoft VT, Softcon EW, Illusions
CIBA Vision is committed to the research and development (R&D) of innovative products, processes and systems. R&D efforts in CIBA Vision's Lens Business have produced lenses such as NIGHT & DAY, a revolutionary new high-oxygen extended wear contact lens that can be worn for up to 30 continuous nights, Focus DAILIES, a daily disposable contact lens and Focus DAILIES Progressives, a daily disposable multi-focal contact lens for people with presbyopia - the age-related loss of near vision.

CIBA Vision also is the world's leading provider of cosmetic and colored contact lenses to change and enhance eye color. With products like FreshLook ColorBlends contact lenses, that feature a patented, three-in-one color burst pattern, CIBA Vision is enabling consumers to change, enhance or illuminate their appearance with the subtle, natural depth of beautiful eyes. CIBA Vision offers the widest variety of colors, modalities and cosmetic contact lens styles - more than 85 combinations in all -- of any contact lens manufacturer.

Cooper Vision [ See all Cooper Vision contact lenses ]
Cooper Toric, Encore, Encore Toric, Expressions, Expressions Accents, Frequency 38, Frequency 55, Crazy Lenses, HydraSoft Toric, Preference
A contact lens pioneer for decades, CooperVision has become the fourth-largest contact lens maker in the world and the number one manufacturer of toric lenses.

From their network of facilities in 12 countries across five continents, CooperVision distributes high-quality lenses virtually everywhere contact lenses are worn, with a special focus on premium specialty lenses.

CooperVision offers some of the most respected brands and most advanced lenses in the industry, including Frequency 55 Aspheric lenses which offer the best vision possible in a soft contact lens. Proclear Compatibles lenses deliver unmatched all day comfort.

Johnson & Johnson Vision Care (Vistakon) [ See all Johnson & Johnson (Vistakon) contact lenses ]
1-Day Acuvue, Acuvue, Acuvue 2, Acuvue 2 Colors Enhancers, Acuvue 2 Colors Opaques, Acuvue Advance, Acuvue Bifocal, Acuvue Toric, Surevue
A true leader in innovation, Vistakon revolutionized the vision correction industry in 1988 with the invention of Acuvue Brand Contact Lenses, the world's first soft disposable contact lens.
Today, Acuvue Brand Soft Disposable Contact Lenses remain the number one brand in the world. The Acuvue Brand is worn by more people globally than any other contact lens. The Acuvue Brand is truly transforming the world's vision by providing an outstanding range of contact lens options to meet the vision needs and wants of just about everyone requiring vision correction.

Ocular Science / American Hydron [ See all Ocular Science contact lenses ]
Biomedics 38, Biomedics 55, Edge III, Edge III Thin, Hydron Mini, UltraFlex 38, UltraFlex 55, Z4, Z6
Ocular Sciences manufactures soft contact lenses under brand names such as Biomedics, UtraFlex, and Edge III.

Sunsoft [ See all Sunsoft contact lenses ]
Eclipse Toric, Sunsoft Multiples, Sunsoft Multiples Toric, Prism Ballast, Revolution, SunFlex, Sunsoft Aphakic, Sunsoft Additions, Sunsoft Toric
The U.S. industry leader in custom soft torics, Sunsoft manufactures specialty soft contact lenses. around the world.

RGP (Oxygen Permeable) [ See all Independent RGP Labs contact lenses ]
Accucon, Flosi, Fluorex, Fluoroperm, Novawet, O-Perm, Ocusil, Optacryl 60, Paragon HDS, Phoenix, Paraperm, PMMA, Polycon II, SGP, Transaire
Rigid Gas Permeable lenses are small, durable, slightly flexible contact lenses that are custom designed to fit your eyes and can be made in a wide range of parameters. RGPs correct astigmatism and provide sharp clear vision.

Specialty Ultravision Specialty Choice
Specialty Choice contact lenses by Specialty Ultravision. (This lens is also known as Choice AB.)Called the "smart lens" because of its aberration blocking technology. Aberration blocking means that for many wearers, the lens can increase the clarity of an image, which can mean sharper vision.
Specialty Choice A.B. contact lenses are designed to incorporate the comfort and convenience of disposable lenses with excellent visual acuity. Each box contains 6, 1-2 week disposable contact lenses.

Wesley-Jessen [ See all Wesley-Jessen contact lenses ]
AquaFlex, CSI, Durasoft, Softmate, Freshlook ColorBlends, Freshlook Dimensions, Freshlook Opaques, Freshlook Radiance, Freshlook VT, Wild Eyes
CIBA Vision(Wesley-Jessen)is the world's leading provider of cosmetic contact lenses to change eye color. With products like FreshLook ColorBlends contact lenses, that feature a patented, three-in-one color burst pattern, CIBA Vision is enabling consumers to change, enhance or illuminate their appearance with the subtle, natural depth of beautiful eyes. CIBA Vision offers the widest variety of colors, modalities and cosmetic contact lens styles - more than 85 combinations in all - of any contact lens manufacturer.

Keep us posted,, I'm very HAPPY FOR YOU ON YOUR DECISION!!!!
SADEYES

Post subject: glasses/contacts
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:08 pm 

Hank:
I forgot to add,,, Here's proof that lasik is not safe, in my eyes anyway.... I met an opthomologist (eye surgeon) who candidly told me he had lasik 6 years ago and has not seen the world the same since either.. Okay, so if someone in that field is getting botched,, some one we would think would know the best to go to, and still got botched, that tells me the surgery is not safe, no matter who you are (so called candidate or not) or what surgeon you go to.. it's just not safe!!!
You are so smart to stay away from any surgeries now or in the future that they may advertise as being better technology. From those hurt many years before me , they were told new technology would keep new patients from having problems, and then they find out (from people like me) that patients are still being ruined and damaged.. don't BUY IT, ever! please.....

Again, wishing you the best!
SADEYES

Post subject: lasik
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:29 am 

I did not realize all the dangers of lasik. I want to do more research on lasik information before I go on with the surgery. Any other suggestions?

Post subject: lasik not safe!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:37 pm 

Mike07:
All I can say is it's a crap shoot as to whether you'll ever see normal again and a "given" that your eye will be permanently damaged. If you look on the web long enough, this is what you will see..You will see websites (dr.'s mostly, but others , too) that give a marketing side of lasik, telling you the benefits, no more glasses, etc.. and that if you have things like decentered ablations (which they claim don't happen anymore) , that they can be corrected with more surgery. Guess what !!! BOTH OF MY EYES are decentered,, they CANNOT FIX EITHER OF THEM WITH SURGERY. surgery can make them worse, and one thing they DONT' TELL YOU, is the higher your prescription is, the more tissue they burn from your cornea.. I have hardly any cornea left and no doc would do surgery on me due to that, even though they wouldn't be able to fix it, maybe only make it worse.. I couldn't even get a doctor to do it , if I wanted to,,,, because they know I have so little tissue left it would impossible to do. So know that when you are reading other places you will get a marketing (bullcrap) run-down and then you will run across the article that tell you the truth of dangers.... Both are out there,, Believe me, I'd do anything to have my soft comfy contacts again,, but I can no longer wear those in life, they will not help me , nor can they fit me with them easily anyway,.. Once your eye is all chopped up (no longer smooth surface you were born with),, they can't get a contact to fit well... My only choice is hard contacts for prosthetic purposes and will be lucky if I can find a doc who can do that.. Still have not found one here where I live and it costs thousand to get them.
It's your decision,,, but if I had known it could be this bad, believe me I would have never, not for the little reason, I don't want to clean contacts daily anymore... That's ridiculous to think about now, when my vision is ruined for life.. The thing I still cannot get used to is the crooked floor, distorted objects, this dang nasty freaky glow around all people and things day and night,,, it's just god-awful.... believe me I wish I had never done it...
Best Wishes, Mike07

Sadeyes