Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Synergeyes PS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 pm 

Anyone know the diameter of the optical zone of the Synergeyes PS. Also, has anyone tried these yet and if so please post your experience.

Post subject: Re: Synergeyes PS
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:41 pm 

anothervictim wrote:
Anyone know the diameter of the optical zone of the Synergeyes PS. Also, has anyone tried these yet and if so please post your experience.

Sorry, I don't know the diameter of the optical zone. So far I don't know of anyone who has been able to get these lenses yet. We've been waiting for months. Have you tried contacting the company?

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:59 pm 

I contacted (actually my wife) Dr Ed Boshnick who she said actually came to the phone and was extremely helpful and as nice as can be. He is one of a handful of doctors in the country fitting them and has had success. He was going to double check but he thought the optical zone diameter was 7.5 He is in Miami area.

Post subject: Market for lenses for post-surgical corneas means LASIK bad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:02 pm 

There was a notice about the SynergEyes PS post-surgical lenses in Review of Ophthalmology:
Quote:
http://www.revophth.com/index.asp?page=1_934.htm

FDA Clears Postsurgery Lens

THE SYNERGEYES PS HYBRID Contact lens for post surgical and post-trauma refractive error has received FDA clearance for daily wear. SynergEyes Inc. plans to introduce the new SynergEyes PS lens in the third quarter of 2006. For more information, visit synergeyes.com.

Which of course begs the question... if corneal refractive surgery is so great why is there a market for special lenses for patients with post-surgical corneas?

Post subject: SynergEyes PS diameter
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:13 pm 

My OD has a good relationship with SynergEyes and I have been able to test out the SynergEyes PS even though it is not yet generally available. The RGP optical zone on the PS version is actually 8.4 mm. For me, this means a great improvement in my vision in dim light but with some residual flaring in darker situations (9-10 mm pupils). The left lens is very comfortable and very well-centered. The right lens is a bit less comfortable and is off-center a bit, so I get quite a bit of flaring nasally. We'll try some more tweaks once they are generally available to see if we can get the right eye in line.

Right now I am wearing them 4-6 hours a day.

- Mitch

Post subject: Wow, Mitch - your pupils are HUGE
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:18 pm 

I'm sure you've heard that before. An 8.4mm optical zone is fairly large and that must be a bit of a blessing. Wonder what the limitations are to making the optical zone even larger?

I have an oval effective optical zone that is only 5.5mm wide in my right eye with an 8.17mm pupil. Since the transition is so steep from 5.5mm to the edge of my pupil, lenses don't do much for my aberrations. I also have striae that are pretty bad. Dr. Terry Kim of Duke Univesity should have acted to striaghten those out immediately when they were easily treatable but he did nothing.

I had the striae documented before he kicked me out of his practice.

I look forward to trying the post-surgical SynergEyes. I'm just sad that there are refractive surgeons out there like mine, Dr. Terry Kim of Duke LASIK center, who help create a market for lenses to treat corneal refractive surgery disasters.

Duke has a contact lens center that has a fitter you can only see by referral. He fits "LASIK lenses" which are likely the standard reverse geometry lenses. But he calls them "LASIK lenses'. Wonder how he feels about having to deal with the carnage created by the laser center down the road.

Post subject: Re: SynergEyes PS diameter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:39 pm 

Mitch wrote:
My OD has a good relationship with SynergEyes and I have been able to test out the SynergEyes PS even though it is not yet generally available. The RGP optical zone on the PS version is actually 8.4 mm. For me, this means a great improvement in my vision in dim light but with some residual flaring in darker situations (9-10 mm pupils). The left lens is very comfortable and very well-centered. The right lens is a bit less comfortable and is off-center a bit, so I get quite a bit of flaring nasally. We'll try some more tweaks once they are generally available to see if we can get the right eye in line.

Right now I am wearing them 4-6 hours a day.

- Mitch

Mitch,

Thanks for this update. I am very anxious to get a pair of the PS lenses with a larger OZ. Right now I'm wearing the standard SynergEyes, and I get extreme flaring when I turn my head at night -- when I turn my head slightly to the right, I get huge flaring to the left and vice versa. When I tilt my head down slightly, the flaring shoots straight up. I have to wonder if this is a pupil size/optical zone problem. You probably recall I have 8mm pupils. I don't know what the size of the OZ of the standard lenses is, but I'm sure it's not 8mm. I am able to wear the lenses all day, but they do dry out and I never go anywhere without rewetting drops.

I am just so thankful for these lenses. My night vision is pure garbage without them (thanks to a 6mm LASIK treatment). If the PS version resolves the flaring, I'll be thrilled. I remember thinking 3 or 4 years ago that there would never be a contact lens that I could wear that would improve my LASIK-destroyed vision. It was like a miracle to me when these lenses came out. After wearing them at night I called my sister and cried for joy telling her about my lenses, thanking God.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Re: Synergeyes PS
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:41 am 
 E-mail  Profile

anothervictim wrote:

According to the Synergeyes website:

Quote:
What are the basic dimensions of the lenses?
The rigid gas-permeable center is 8.4 mm in diameter with an effective 7.8 mm optic zone. The overall diameter of the lens is 14.5 mm. The lenses are available in a range of rigid center base curves and multiple soft skirt curve radii to accomodate a large range of patient needs.

Post subject: Larger optical zone better
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:04 pm 

Even though the PS lens optical zone isn't as large as your pupils you are likely to see much improvement through restoration of a smooth optical surface.

Broken Eyes has an optical zone in her lenses that is smaller than her pupils yet she receives much benefit from SynergEyes lenses - sure a larger optical zone is better... and you'll likely see the effects of the undersized zone... but when your corneas are fairly trashed there is often much to be gained by popping even an imperfect RGP on your eyes... providing that your surgeon hasn't caused so much nerve damage in your corneas that you can't tolerate them due to LASIK dry eye.