Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:28 am 

Is "Lasik-Induced dry eye" different from other forms of dry eye? The most popular theory seems to be the cutting of corneal nerves. Another theory of lasik-induced dry eye is goblet cell damage. Do goblet cells regenerate? How many nerve endings are in a typical adult cornea? 4? 10? 100? 1,000? A million? I'd like to think that modern science can find a way to get these little guys to grow. I've read about research companies trying to figure out how to clone corneas. If they could do that, I'd hope that their technology could be used to "fix" lasik complications. Or maybe I'm dreaming. I'm 9 months post op with "annoying" dry eye. I'll wait another few months, then maybe I'll go to the Jules eye center and pick their brains. Cloning Corneas. Hhhmmm. You'd need tons of knowledge to do that. :?
Thank you, Dr. Minarik. :)

Post subject: LASIK nerve damage
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:57 pm 

RaginFro asked:

Quote:
Is "Lasik-Induced dry eye" different from other forms of dry eye?

Yes, LASIK-induced dry eye is a result of surgical damage to corneal nerves that control the comfortable wetting of the eye. Very few patients end up with dry eye as a result of nerve damage to the cornea if they have not had a close encounter with a corneal refractive surgeon.

Some dry eye is a result of diseases, some is a side-effect of medication, dry eye can be caused by meibomian gland dysfunction (which can be aggravated by corneal refractive surgery) and some is due to aging.

Corneal refractive surgery damages corneal nerves and data show that these nerves do not return to normal densities. This alone can cause permanent painful dry eye which can be compounded by diseases, medication, meibomian gland disfunction and aging... that is in combination with other factors that contribute to dry eye.

Quote:
Another theory of lasik-induced dry eye is goblet cell damage. Do goblet cells regenerate?

I have read about goblet cell damage associated with the LASIK procedure. Goblet cells produce mucins - slimy proteins that help lubricate the eye. Goblet cells do regenerate and are induced by some factors/diseases in other epithelial tissues (for example asthmatics can exibit goblet cell hyperplasia in the airways) but I'm not sure about what controls goblet cell differentiation in the eye. Here's an article that may or may not be of interest to you:

Nerve Growth Factor Induces Goblet Cell Hyperplasia And Muc5ac Production In A Human Epithelial Cell Line.
Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Volume 119, Issue 1, Pages S129-S129
A. Micera, B. Stampachiacchiere, A. Lambiase, S. Bonini, S. Bonini

Perhaps nerve growth factor could help us one day? At least with the surgically-induced dry eye problem. Corneal refractive surgery also induces corneal distortions and thins and weakens the 'support structure' of the cornea.

Still no 'fix' for these complications aside from corneal transplants which do have a fairly substantial failure rate, are painful and do not always restore good useful vision.

In essence, corneal refractive surgeons knowlingly induce complications that they cannot fix. They induce these complications during an elective surgery on healthy corneas. This is a mutilation of healthy corneas, and malpractice.