Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question for Dr. Minarik
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:49 pm 

Dr. Minarik,

Since I started wearing SynergEyes lenses, I now get this goop in my eyes that I didn't get before. Sometimes it's stringy, but usually it's like a blob floating around in my eyes. What is it and why didn't it appear until I started wearing SynergEyes lenses??? :?

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:01 pm 

I have this problem too since LASIK and it is much worse when I wear contact lenses. I get stringy balls of goop that build up mostly in the inner corners of my eyes. I also get little clups of it on the surface of my eye as well as white streaks that leak from the outer corners. I have read that stringy discharge is a common symptom of dry eye. I would suspect that the contact lenses are making your eyes a bit more dry than usual which could be causing the discharge. I have tried just about every supplement and remedy imaginable and nothing seems to have helped very much so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:39 am 

http://www.preventblindness.org/eye_pro ... yeFAQ.html

Quote:
What are the symptoms of dry eye?

If you have dry eye, you may experience some of the following symptoms:

feeling a burning or stinging in your eyes,

feeling like there are particles in your eyes,

A gritty, sandy feeling in your eyes,

itchiness,

redness and inflammation of your eyes,

stringy mucus in your eyes, and

extreme sensitivity, especially to cigarette smoke.

That's what I thought, too, Maverick. I don't remember having this problem before wearing hard lenses, even though my eyes were very dry, red, and burning all the time. I have very low Schirmers scores and recurrent erosions. I just wondered if the lenses were creating more surface irritation and if this is dangerous.

The ONLY problem I had with dry eyes before LASIK was contact lens intolerance. I wasn't even aware that I had dry eyes.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: I also cant tolerate contacts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:26 am 

Broken Eyes, could my eyes be dry too? I cant tolerate contact lenses. Would orthoK still be an option for me? I am still getting an orthoK consultation

Post subject: Re: I also cant tolerate contacts
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:09 am 

avoidlasik wrote:
Broken Eyes, could my eyes be dry too? I cant tolerate contact lenses. Would orthoK still be an option for me? I am still getting an orthoK consultation

Apparently I had dry eyes before LASIK -- I had become contact lens intolerant which is a sign of dry eyes. (LASIK made it much worse.) So yes, you could have dry eyes. As you probably know there are tests for dry eyes such as TBU, Schimers, and staining. I really don't know enough about OrthoK to answer your question, but I would assume that dry eyes would be a factor with wearing an overnight lens. Maybe you're a candidate for Restasis.

Post subject: Eye goobers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:55 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

When the discharge from your eye while wearing contacts has a stringy and white "rubber ball" texture, it is often a glob of mucin and/or lipids from your outermost tear layer. Certain brands of contact lens solutions are better than others at removing mucin. Alcon's latest solution "OptiFree Replenish" has just received FDA approval for use with Synergeyes contact lenses. We swear by it.

Post subject: Do you fit SynergEyes lenses?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:00 am 

Dr. Minarik,
Do you fit post-refractives with SynergEyes lenses, currently? If so, how is that going... compared to standard RGPs.

Post subject: The problem with Synergeyes...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:23 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

has nothing to do with the lens itself. The company that developed the lens burned through millions of dollars in research and development costs, and then they got FDA approval and entered the market on a shoestring budget. I have never had to deal with a company that requires a doctor to buy a fitting set before he even sees it, and then requires the doctor to pay cash up front for a lens before he sees it on a patient's eye. Unfortunately, that's what Synergeyes is all about. Unless a big company comes in to buy and run this adventure, I can't imagine it going anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:15 am 

Do you have any other suggestions Dr. Minarik? I have tried Optifree and I still get stringy and white discharge in both eyes. It is significantly worse when I wear contact lenses but it is there even when I do not wear them. I have also been using Unique PH for my rgp lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:37 pm 

I usually notice the goop in my eyes at night after removing my lenses. I always wash my eyes with Unisol 4 morning and night to get the goop out. Mine is mucus-colored, not white. This is disgusting, isn't it?

Add this to a LASIK informed consent:
Your eyes will be so dry after LASIK that you'll get this nasty stringy goop in your eyes which may be white, like white-out, or that nasty mucus color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:51 pm 

I am in the mirror at least every two hours wiping this stuff away. I get the stringy and white rubber ball stuff in the inner corners and these bright white secretions mostly in the outer corners.

Post subject: Dry Eye as an Autoimmune Disease
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:11 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

In the past, dry eyes have been treated by the medical community as a mere nuisance. Now that there are 2 million plus post-op LASIK patients getting dry eyes, research into the disease is finally going forward.

When your eyes get to the level of dryness you are experiencing now, you are literally sloughing off layers of cells when you blink. The immune system responds to those damaged cells as if they were an infection, so you have an allergic reaction to your own dead cells.

As of now, Restasis is still the only FDA approved medicine for dry eyes, but it is just the first of three or four new meds currently in the pipeline.
If you haven't been prescribed a trial of Restasis you should try it. It is prescribed for one drop in each eye twice daily, and it does a great job breaking that cycle of attacking your own dead cells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:29 pm 

Thanks for the response Dr. Minarik. I have been on Restasis for six months. It seems to help a bit with the overall dryness but it does nothing for the discharge that I am having. Could plugs possibly help with the discharge or would they trap these cells and make matters worse? I tried plugs before I was on Restasis and I did not notice much of a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:07 am 

Research for Dry Eye is under way? Where?!?!?
Are they treating Dry Eye or Lasik-Induced dry eye?
Are they trying to mask the symptoms or "cure" the problem?
:)

Post subject: What a loaded question.
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:59 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Research into dry eyes has always had two "tracks", one being the field of artificial tears and tear supplements to relieve the symptoms of dry eye. That track has had the most success and there are dozens of products on the market.

The R&D track to find the "answer" to dry eyes is the tough one. Restasis was the first med, with more in the pipeline. There is an old truism that says that nothing gets done in this country to solve a problem until that problem effects the baby boomers. Well, dry eyes are most common in post-menopausel females, and the boomers are now finally tackling it with a vengeance.