Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lasik + dry eyes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:19 pm 

http://www.ophmanagement.com/article.aspx?article=86627

"Patients who undergo LASIK are at increased risk for developing dry eye. The causes can be multifactorial. For example, the LASIK procedure severs the corneal nerves, which can take from months to years to completely regenerate.5 Additionally, patients with complaints of post-LASIK dry eye often have meibomian gland dysfunction, which leads to poor tear film quality. For patients with post-LASIK ectasia, there is the additional challenge of the irregular shape of the cornea, which can exacerbate dry eye in patients with an abnormal tear film layer."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:47 pm 

This 23 year old patient also had ectasia. That is so sad a young man's life is ruined by lasik. Lasik damages every eye, cause dry eye and even ectasia!

Post subject: Re: Lasik + dry eyes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:40 am 

kaleyedoscope wrote:

"patients with complaints of post-LASIK dry eye often have meibomian gland dysfunction, which leads to poor tear film quality. ."

I have this problem in a major way since LASIK and it makes wearing contact lenses especially difficult. I am constantly wiping bright white goo away from the corners of my eyes. I have stringy balls of goo in the inner corners of both eyes and I get these bright white streaks that leak out of the outer corners. I look like someone attacked me with a bottle of whiteout in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:57 am 

Maverick wrote:
kaleyedoscope wrote:

"patients with complaints of post-LASIK dry eye often have meibomian gland dysfunction, which leads to poor tear film quality. ."

I have this problem in a major way since LASIK and it makes wearing contact lenses especially difficult. I am constantly wiping bright white goo away from the corners of my eyes. I have stringy balls of goo in the inner corners of both eyes and I get these bright white streaks that leak out of the outer corners. I look like someone attacked me with a bottle of whiteout in the morning.

Maverick, whenever I don't have enough sleep, I would experience the same thing as you had just described. I get these bright white streaks that leak out of my outer corners ever since I had R.K.

Where is this white fluid coming from? Meibomian gland?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:18 am 

surgieyes wrote:
Maverick wrote:
kaleyedoscope wrote:

Maverick, whenever I don't have enough sleep, I would experience the same thing as you had just described. I get these bright white streaks that leak out of my outer corners ever since I had R.K.

Where is this white fluid coming from? Meibomian gland?

It is definitely worse when I do not get enough sleep. If I get less than six hours of sleep it literally looks like white eyeliner. My pupils are also larger when I do not get enough sleep. Unfortunately sleep is hard to come by after a bad refractive surgery outcome. I was told these are meibomian gland secretions but who knows. It did not happen pre-op and I was always up late working. Warm compresses and lid scrubs seem to help a bit but they are both seriously annoying and time consuming. I am also trying this NAC supplement which supposedly helps break up mucus. I will be the guinea pig and let you guys know how that goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:14 pm 

LASIK Patient: Doctor, ever since I had LASIK, my eyes are painfully dry and irritated. They burn constantly.

LASIK Doctor: OK, I will insert some punctal plugs in your tear ducts. That will be $500.

LASIK Patient: But, Doctor, you already inserted punctal plugs. My eyes are still dry and painful. Is there anything else we can do?

LASIK Doctor: Give it six months.

LASIK Patient: But, Doctor, it's already been more than six months.

LASIK Doctor: Give it six more months.

LASIK Patient: But, Doctor, I need help. I am in constant pain.

LASIK Doctor: Take two aspirin and call me in six months.

LASIK Patient: Doctor, can you tell me why I have this bright white goo, like whiteout, in the corners of my eyes?

LASIK Doctor: Switch to correction tape instead of liquid whiteout.

LASIK Patient: Doc, did you hear what I said, it's in my eyes!

LASIK Doctor: Don't put your face so close to the paper.

LASIK Patient: Doctor, have you ever seen this before?

LASIK Doctor: No, you are the only one in 25,000 successful LASIK procedures who has ever complained of whiteout in your eyes.

LASIK Patient: I'm sorry, Doc, I have a hard time believing that I am the only one with a problem.

LASIK Doctor: Do you want my help or not?

LASIK Patient: But, Doctor, you're NOT helping.

LASIK Doctor: You're not being compliant. I can't help you if you're not compliant.

LASIK Patient: What do you mean, I'm not compliant?

LASIK Doctor: You haven't referred any friends or family members.

LASIK Patient: Doc, I'm here because I'm suffering from dry eyes!

LASIK Doctor: Are you using your artificial tears every 15 minutes as instructed at your last visit?

LASIK Patient: Yes, but it is very expensive. Will I have to use them for the rest of my life?

LASIK Doctor: Use them as needed, for as long as needed. This is the kind of professional advice for which I am very highly paid.

LASIK Patient: I give up.

LASIK Doctor: (writing in patient's chart "Patient doing well") I'm glad you're doing well. Here's a free sample of artificial tears. It was nice to see you again.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:50 pm 

Wow thats disgusting how lasik doctors blow you off just like that! They want no part of your problem!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:40 pm 

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... 107_02.php

"Dry eye symptoms include ocular burning, a sensation of sandiness in the eye, blurred vision, photosensitivity, and ocular fatigue.1-4 LASIK can both aggravate preexisting dry eye disease and elicit symptoms in patients without complaints preoperatively. The etiology of post-LASIK dry eye is multifactorial. Creating the flaps causes corneal denervation, thereby interrupting the neural feedback loop responsible for the production, spread, and clearance of tears as well as the blink rate. A disrupted or decreased tear film irritates the ocular surface, resulting in a release of cytokines that initiates a cycle of lacrimal gland inflammation, T-cell activation, and further secretion of cytokines into tears that decreases their production, exacerbates the inflammation of the ocular surface, and perpetuates the cycle. Corneal denervation during LASIK simulates the altered composition of the tear film that is characteristic of keratoconjunctivitis sicca, with increased tear film osmolality, reduced goblet cell density, and lower corneal glycogen. A loss of goblet cells lowers the amount of mucin, which is necessary for a stable tear film and healthy ocular surface."1-3

Post subject: Dry eye after LASIK or surface treatment is painful
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:24 pm 

Please be perfectly clear that corneal refractive surgery COMMONLY results in chronic eye pain. Dry eye disease is painful. It hurts. Patients also complain of stabbing eye pain. Please don't be fooled into thinking that any corneal refractive surgical procedure is painless, or that you will be pain-free after a 'healing time'. There is no healing of the LASIK flap, and painful dry eye disease can be permanent. Even the FDA admits on their LASIK website that dry eye can be permanent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:46 pm 

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=3675

"Dry eye, a disorder of the tear film caused by tear deficiency or excessive tear evaporation, is a relatively common complication for patients undergoing LASIK."

Post subject: FDA reports LASIK dry eye disease can be permanent
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:16 pm 

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=3675
Quote:
"Dry eye, a disorder of the tear film caused by tear deficiency or
excessive tear evaporation, is a relatively common complication for
patients undergoing LASIK."

Thanks for sharing that. Here's what the FDA LASIK website has to say about dry eye after LASIK:

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/LASIK/risks.htm

"Some patients may develop severe dry eye syndrome. As a result of
surgery, your eye may not be able to produce enough tears to keep the
eye moist and comfortable. Dry eye not only causes discomfort, but can
reduce visual quality due to intermittent blurring and other visual
symptoms. This condition may be permanent. Intensive drop therapy and
use of plugs or other procedures may be required."

Post subject: Re: FDA reports LASIK dry eye disease can be permanent
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:47 pm 

Eye wrote:
This condition may be permanent. Intensive drop therapy and use of plugs or other procedures may be required."

That's not what Glenn Hagele says about dry eyes. He's a patient advocate, right? Patients should trust him to provide factual objective information about LASIK, right?

Glenn Hagele:
Quote:
For the vast majority of refractive surgery recipients, the degree of dry eye symptoms is not significant enough to cause difficulties. Even those who do have some trouble most often find the dry eye symptoms resolve within the normal six-month healing period.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am 

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... 407_5q.php

Stephen Brint MD:

"We did not even think about the possibility of LASIK's causing dry eye until this problem began appearing. We compensated by playing "catch up" at first, but now we pretreat patients more aggressively with cyclosporine, punctal plugs, artificial tears, and nutritional supplements to minimize post-LASIK dry eye."

Post subject: December, 1999
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:21 am 

http://www.osnsupersite.com/view.asp?rID=14243