Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: sixeyes ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:54 pm 

Remember 'hey four-eyes'? I grew up with that - glasses since I was 14.
Now, after Lasik (started 4/2/04) - right eye over-corrected to +550 / left eye natural -225 + astigmatism:
With glasses ONLY; NO depth perception, dizzy, queasy, unable to read well. Can't drive, etc.
Contacts which make me uniformly nearsighted @ -225 both eyes (0nly way to achieve depth perception)PLUS glasses; extremely dry eyes, constant burning, lenses cloud up by 1:00pm. Cleaning helps for maybe an hour or two, then they cloud up again. Read very slowly after 1:00 pm. My contact lense doctor says it's because my eyes are so irritated by then. I think my eye is trying to turn it into a pearl...
I don't know how long I'll be able to tolerate contacts. Without them I can't function. I used to mountain bike, road ride, windsurf, ski. Too scary now.
My last Lasik doctor visit was August of 2005. They could not offer any solution for right eye but they were sure new technology was just around the corner. He suggested fixing the left eye 'to even things up'....?? I said I would prefer they correct the right eye first. He also said 'lightning doesn't strike the same place twice....h-m-m....let me think....
Left 'natural astigmatic' eye doesn't burn without lense, but does with it. Best corrected vision is so mediocre in Lasik'd right eye, I find I need 2 lenses to read well.
I'm looking for information on long term effects of dry eyes + contacts. It feels so bad - pain generally means damage. No one would choose this but I have no choice.
I've read all your articles. Have a few more I'll post later.
Thank you for this site.

Post subject: Hi and welcome sixeyes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:55 pm 

Your story sounds so familiar... damaged post-LASIKs are often self-selected dry eye cases. Cotact lens intolerance leads them into LASIK and doctors don't inform patients that LASIK in itself causes dry eye. Chronic, debilitating, painful dry eye can result.

Some good news is that SynergEyes is marketing new lenses for patients who have damage from corneal refractive surgery. They will debut in October of this year.

'Lightening strikes twice in the same place'??? You should add this one to the thread entitled notable quotes, or and my doctor said...

What are they thinking when they say such things???

Last edited by Eye on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:06 pm 

Quote:
''He suggested fixing the left eye 'to even things up'....?? I said I would prefer they correct the right eye first. He also said 'lightning doesn't strike the same place twice''

It is still hard to believe that a ''medical professional'' could offer such horrendous advice to an injured patient. If your right eye has been damaged by refractive surgery the last thing you wanna do is put your healthy/un-treated eye at risk. Please get another opinion.

Post subject: Dr. Minarik would know...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:31 am 

Quote:
I'm looking for information on long term effects of dry eyes + contacts. It feels so bad - pain generally means damage. No one would choose this but I have no choice.

Dr. Minarik would know the answer to your question about the consequences of long-term lenswear in the face of dry eye and pain associated with lenswear.

I have never heard of anyone incurring permanent damage, but he'd be the person to ask.

Hey Dr. M????