Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Restasis for pre-LASIK prep
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:49 am 

http://www.revophth.com/index.asp?page=1_834.htm

?Since the introduction of Restasis (cy?clo?sporine A, Allergan), I?ve been using it more and more prior to refractive surgery to get pa?tients prepped and their eyes nicely lubricated,? says Chicago surgeon Lou Probst. ?We don?t use it universally, but we have a very low tolerance for any dry-eye signs or symptoms. Basically, we?ll use it for females over 35, anyone with contact lens intolerance, a patient who mentions that he?s had dry eyes or used lu?bricating drops, or someone with a skin condition. This usually amounts to 50 to 60 percent of patients.? He will put patients on it a month to a week before LASIK, de?pending on the severity of the dry eye, and have them stop using it the day before the surgery. They will then re?sume Restasis after LASIK for one to three months."

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Doctors like this give medicine a bad name, in my opinion...
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:59 pm 

Regarding restasis (a drug, cyclosporine... that is also used in transplant patients for immunosupression - and can be dangerous in the presence of infection).

http://www.revophth.com/index.asp?page=1_834.htm

Quote:
...we?ll use it for females over 35, anyone with contact lens intolerance, a patient who mentions that he?s had dry eyes or used lu?bricating drops, or someone with a skin condition.

These groups are at high risk for permanent, debilitating dry eye! None of the people who fall into these risk groups for dry eye should be HAVING LASIK. This doctor places 50 to 60 percent of patients in these risk categories!

Even the FDA warns that LASIK dry eye can be permanent!

I had to follow this link so that I could make a mental note of the surgeon who actually said this!

Since WHEN is performing an elective surgery known to damage corneal nerves on patients already at high risk for dry eye... and then 'treating' these high-risk patients with expensive drugs that block the normal immune function of the eye, and punctal plugs (which prevent normal flow of the tear pool and turn the tear pool into a cesspool), perhaps for the rest of their lives... an OK thing to do?

Surgically induced corneal nerve damage is NOT OK. There is no cure for nerve damage induced by corneal refractive surgeons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:31 am 

I agree with your post completely Eye, however, my dry eye has been much better since I started Restasis a few weeks ago. I went from supplements plus Systane every two hours to Refresh Endura twice a day within a week (including the Restasis morning and night). My eyes feel much better (they actually look better too). I am pretty confident that I would be able to tolerate contacts for a considerable portion of the day. If I am monitored by a doctor every six months is there any reason that I should not use the Restasis with contact lenses? I also agree that Restasis is way too expensive. I am hoping that I will be able to work out a pre-autorization with my insurance. I can not afford to stay on it otherwise.

Post subject: Surgeons should bear cost of post-LASIK dry eye treatment
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:17 am 

I find it sickening that corneal refractive surgeons can continue to perform a surgery known to cause permanent dry eye, and that one of the few medications that is even remotely helpful to some of them is around 100 bucks a month.

Why are they getting away with imposing this burden on our health care system?

Surgeons who did the damage should be required to foot the bills for any required post-LASIK treatment! That would put some skids under the wheels of their greedy LASIK mills.

I do hope your insurance company helps you out, Maverick. Somehow I don't think your surgeon will come through for you.

Post subject: Why get lasik in the first place
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:35 am 

Lasik causes dry eyes, so why get lasik? There are no cures and the best treatment for dry eyes is not getting lasik in the first place! Why deal with painful, dry eyes, punctual plugs and eyedrops several times a day? Much easier to buy a nice pair of glasses!