Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:22 pm 

dnewman85 wrote:
My vision is perfect: around 20/15 in both eyes. It is small consolation since my eyes are blood red all the time.

As they say, the surgery was a success but the patient died.

dnewman85 wrote:
The doctors said that my eyes looked ok with the stain and lamp test. My schirmer scores were 5mm in left eye and <5mm in right. My redness only seems to be from the nasal corner of my eye to the iris (colored part) and not on the outside. I am taking a ton of fish and flaxseed oil as well. Let me know what you think.

What does "looked ok" mean? Was your LASIK surgeon doing the test? Was there any staining or not? Do you have corneal erosions or not?

A Schirmer score of 5 or less is considered clinically significant dry eyes.

You might want to invest in some goggles like the ones this patient is wearing in the photo in this article, in addition to the supplements you're taking, artificial tears and punctal occlusion:

http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/721249.html

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:38 pm 

Hey folks, I just wanted to give you an update. I had punctum plugs inserted into my lower tear ducts this past Tuesday. They have helped tremendously. My eyes are still red in the mornings but clear up a lot within the first hour that I am up. I will say that my eyes are not pre-LASIK comfortable, but if my eyes dont get any worse I think it is manageable. I still wish there were a way to go back and choose not to have LASIK. I have also started taking BioTears and hopefully that will supplement the plugs. I will keep you updated and please pass along any further tips and recommendations.

Thanks,

dnew

Post subject: Great news!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:02 am 

Hi dnewman85!

It's terrific that you're having less redness and discomfort. Yeah, we'd all like to undo the surgery but there is no looking back.

At some point you may want to get your lower puncta cauterized (wait till you are at least 15 months out from surgery). Plugs tend to leak after a while and become colonized with bacteria. If you know your eyes are always going to be on the dry side, cauterizing the lower puncta can help.

Oral antioxidant supplements, BioTears, lid scrubs, hot compresses - all these things can help make you more comfortable.

I'm about to try TranquilEyes Sleep goggles, available online. Tonight will be my first night with these sleep goggles. I'll make a post about my impressions. The eyes are driest at night. If YOU were to wear these sleep goggles to keep moisture in prehaps you would not be so red-eyed in the morning. Thirty bucks online, what the heck?

Post subject: Update and another question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:30 am 

It has been harder to get to this site lately I wonder if anyone is trying to keep us from visiting.

Anyway, I have had my lower tear ducts plugged for 1 month. I am on restasis, bio-tears, flax seed oil, and will soon be going back to eye doctor to plug upper tear ducts and ask for a rx for the prescription omega-3s LOVAZA to see if it helps. I cannot believe how much this is effecting my everyday life. My question is how much more improvement will I experience when I have the upper tear ducts plugged?

Thanks again,

dnew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:54 am 

A LASIK industry thug has attempted, again, to shut down this site.

Dry eyes can definitely impact patients' quality of life. You are not alone.

It's hard to say how much improvement you'll get from being fully plugged. It depends on your level of tear production. It might make a big difference. Good luck and keep us posted!

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: I forgot to tell you
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:22 am 

I did buy a pair of tranquileyes sleep goggles and have been using them for a week. I have not noticed much improvement yet from them. I will keep you posted. Thanks.

Post subject: What do you think?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:52 pm 

Question 1: I tried to make an appointment with the MD that plugged my lower tear ducts and his office said that he doesnt like to plug the upper tear ducts because gravity pulls the tears down and it probably would not help.

Question 2: Is it possible for your tear production to ever improve naturally as time goes on or will it only get worse?

Thanks again,

dnew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:54 am 

My Lasik nightmare began a little over a year after having Lasik. I am farsighted in both eyes but was much worse in the right eye for some reason. Before Lasik I had been wearing only reading glasses. I only had the right eye done because the left eye wasn't that bad. The surgery DID help in that both eyes are now more equal in their ability to see up close. I lost some distance vision in the process however. My distance vision (in my right eye was better before Lasik.

I've also developed problems that are very debilitating such as dry eye and varying levels of eye pain. The eye that had surgery no longer looks the same either. The right pupil has a nasty habit of misbehaving where the pupil becomes abnormally dilated. The right eye now appears glassy and wet in appearance most of the time where the left (untouched) eye is normal. I'm completely convinced that Lasik was the cause of all these problems. Thank God I didn't let the surgeon bastardize my left eye as well.

If I had only known beforehand how very dangerous Lasik is, I had no idea. I should have done my homework and investigated but I was stupid and trusted the Lasik surgeon. He of course wasn't human enough to tell me the real story because if he had, I wouild have run out of his office screaming, like so many others.

On a good note, I've been able to help control my post Lasik nonsense a little by using TheraTears Nutrition and eating only natural foods. I occassionly use the TheraTears eye drops but for the most part, eye drops of any type almost invariably don't work and instead make the problem worse.

I recently talked my friend's wife out of having Lasik. She wanted Lasik in the worst way because she hates wearing glasses. I told her the truth about Lasik and why her doctor is probably being dishonest with her. I told her that right now if she needs to change her prescription, she can simply take her eyeglasses off and the optometrist takes care of it, then she can just put her glasses back on. When you have Lasik and you need a change in prescription, you can't do that, you would need Lasik performed again and this further weakens the cornea. If it weakens it too much, you can say hello to a cornea transplant.

I'd give anything to be able to go back to the way life was before Lasik but I know I can't. Learning things the hard way in life is no fun. Lasik is no good for anyone, successful or not. It severly damages the cornea and destroys countless lives. LASIK IS THE MOST DANGEROUS ELECTIVE SURGERY PERFORMED TODAY. I hope hundreds if not thousands of people take the time to read these horror stories and decline to let one of those Lasik bastards ruin them for life.

Good luck to all.

fast586
N.J.

Post subject: Re: What do you think?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:12 am 

dnewman85 wrote:
Question 1: I tried to make an appointment with the MD that plugged my lower tear ducts and his office said that he doesnt like to plug the upper tear ducts because gravity pulls the tears down and it probably would not help.

Question 2: Is it possible for your tear production to ever improve naturally as time goes on or will it only get worse?

Thanks again,

dnew

I have no answer for your first question but my recommendation is to NOT have your tear ducts closed off. Stay away from anything that is permanent.

In response to your question of tear production; anything is possible. I've been able to improve my tear production by eating only natural foods; plenty of fresh vegetables, free-range chicken, fish, buffalo meat, no grains or pasteurized dairy products (they cause major allergies) spring water and as I stated previously, I use TheraTears Nutrition (I'm not a TheraTears saleman either; they seem to help some.

You might also investigate this doctor who specializes in dry eye and other eye issues. I'm looking to possibly traveling down to see him myself. I've checked him out via the state of Florida web site and he has no strikes against him.

Good luck to you!

fast586
N.J.

Post subject: Re: What do you think?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:31 pm 

dnewman85 wrote:

dnew,

The "office staff" working for LASIK surgeons are usually very poor sources of information. I've heard some ridiculous, incorrect information given out by LASIK surgeon employees. Even LASIK surgeons themselves sometimes say some pretty stupid things and give out bad advice.

They may be wrong about this -- plugging the upper ducts might help. I know many patients who had all 4 ducts plugged or cauterized because just occluding the lowers didn't provide enough relief. My suggestion is to try it, insisting on the type of plugs that can be easily removed if you don't like it -- it may prove to be too much (epiphora).

Cautery is an option if you decide on permanent occlusion. My friend, Scientist, is not a fan of plugs.

dnewman85 wrote:

I can't remember how far out you are from surgery. Tear production does generally improve over the first year. I had a Schirmer's score (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 003501.htm) of zero in both eyes at 5 months post-LASIK, which improved over time to about 5 mm -- which is still severe dry eyes at 7 1/2 years post-LASIK.

I know it must seem like you can never get a straight answer, but your question doesn't have one correct answer. Most people get better, some people don't, and some people actually get worse over time. At least you have your gender in your favor. Everyone tends to have drier eyes with age, but it's worse for post-menopausal women.

Last edited by Broken Eyes on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:32 pm 

fast586, welcome to lasik-flap.com

Post subject: Treatment Update-- Thanks Broken Eyes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:19 pm 

I will be seeing neaw MD this Friday to see what he reccomends but this is my daily treatment. Please send along any tips. As a reminder I am suffering from extremely dry and bloodshot eyes after undergoing LASIK on November 17, 2005.

Bio-Tears taken BID (twice a day)
Lovaza (Rx omega-3) BID
Restasis BID
Lotemax BID
Thera-Tears drops frequently

I was on Lexapro, Propecia, and multi-vitamin and have stopped all additional meds as of last Friday. I will update on what MD recommends.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:03 am 
 WWW  Profile

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/dryeye.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:38 pm 

Ditto Eye's recommendation for blind-people glasses. I love 'em. Wear 'em everywhere. People will give you shit for wearing gigantic wraparound indoors, at night, yadda yadda. It's 2008 and people will still crack Matrix jokes. Fuck 'em.

I also tend to agree with Eye that the Restasis doesn't really do anything. Not for us, anyway. But take it anyway, if you can hack the cash. I know what you're thinkin'. "What's the point if it don't work?" Well... the way I see it, hope's all we got.

Throw that down the drain too, and it's a one-way trip to the abyss.