Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Moisture Chamber (MC) Goggles/Glasses
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:09 am 

I just wanted to mention that for those of you who suffer from very bothersome dry eyes post-LASIK, I would highly recommend moisture chamber (MC) sunglasses for outdoor use. In addition, clear lens MC goggles for indoor use are helpful as well. In my case, I have a really hard time using the computer for any length of time at work without having my eyes bug the sh$% out of me and constantly dry out. I can't focus or concentrate on just about anything due to the issues caused by my post-LASIK dry eyes. I tried MC goggles at work, but MC goggles don't blend well in an office environment.

Several months ago, I heard about a guy in Long Island that makes MC glasses. Basically they are a regular pair of glasses that have a clear Eagle Vision shield that creates a moisture chamber around the eye socket. From a front profile, they look just like a regular pair of glasses. From a side profile, a person can certainly notice the clear Eagle Vision shield, but it is subtle and relatively discreet. Scott is very detailed and meticulous about making the MC glasses well fitted to the individual's face.

The total price of the glasses and Scott's time ranges from about $450 to $600 depending on whether you want transitional lenses for sun, etc.. The cost is very reasonable considering the fact that Scott spends about 3 hours of his time putting the MC glasses together and getting them custom fit for the person.

The biggest issue is that Scott is in Long Island and you usually have to stay about 2 to 3 days in Long Island since Scott has to see you one day to have you pick out the frame and get a feel for the MC glasses. Then he has to order the lens and put it together with the Eagle Vision shield. Then he has you come in to custom fit the shield to your face.

For me it has been well worth the time and cost to get the MC glasses. I certainly wish that I could function like I used to without the MC glasses, but I have learned that I have to deal with my LASIK induced disability as best I can after having LASIK with Dr. Terry Kim, MD at the Duke "Vision Disabling" Center.

Scott's contact information is listed below ...

Scott Kornfeld, Managing Optician
Woodbury Optical
185 Woodbury Rd.
Hicksville, NY 11801
516-681-3937

Scott is a very good guy who is certainly not in the MC glasses business for the money. Based on the cost of the glasses and labor involved, Scott does this as a service to the dry eye community at cost to his optical center.

I would recommend that you try a pair of MC goggles out and see how your eyes feel with them on. If they help and you want to use something for more day to day use in say a work setting, then I think it is a good investment of time and money to look into the MC glasses. For me, they work better than any other form of dry eye treatment and they don't mess with your natural tear film. Of course, no LASIK MD would ever tell you about MC glasses/goggles because they don't want the public to actually "see" the damage that they create. After all, while they are discreet, they are still more noticeable than a person with dry eyes and no MC goggles/glasses who looks like everybody else, but is suffering due to their constantly dry eyes.

Also, I like the Wiley-X sunglass goggles. You can get them on e-bay for about $40-$60. The only catch is that different goggles fit different faces better. For me the Wiley-X XL-1's look and fit great creating a nice moisture seal. When I wear these, I can use the AC in my car with little discomfort. I've listed an e-bay link below to give you an idea of the look and cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wiley-X-XL-1-NIB-BE ... dZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:31 pm 

Hi Eye Pain,

Do these lenses fog up? I have some Panoptx goggles, but they fog up on me.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Defogging
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:33 am 

I also found LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim and the Duke LASIK experience to be disabling. It was also my impression that Dr. Terri Kim and one of the technicians there named Heidi... were not exactly warm and fuzzy. The word I would choose is cruel.

I have an idea for the glasses fogging problem. Broken Eyes, you're a diver! Get out some defogging lens drops from your mask and coat the insides of your goggles. Who knows, could work.

Perhaps your environment is just too steamy... can't be all of your EYE moisture building up in there, now, can it???

Eye Pain, thanks for the moisture seal glasses tip and contact information!
:wink:

Post subject: Re: Defogging
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:59 am 

Scientist wrote:
I have an idea for the glasses fogging problem. Broken Eyes, you're a diver! Get out some defogging lens drops from your mask and coat the insides of your goggles.

You're suggesting that I spit in my goggles? :lol:

Sorry to be gross, but "saliva" works much better than that defog stuff that you buy, and it's free. 8)

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:27 am 

Broken Eyes wrote:
Do these lenses fog up? I have some Panoptx goggles, but they fog up on me.

For me, the Wiley-X and the MC glasses do not fog up as often as my Panoptx. With the Wiley-X and MC glasses, fogging is the exception and not the norm. The MC glass fogging goes away easily by just removing the glasses for a few seconds and the fogging typically doesn't come back that quick. I'm not sure why.

The MC glasses are also a little tricky to clean. I have to be careful with the Eagle Shields that are made of a light weight synthetic material. However, once I got the hang of it, it wasn't too bad.