Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dry Eye Does Not Resolve by Six Months.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:16 am 

Eur J Ophthalmol. 2007 Jan-Feb;17(1):1-6.

Dry eye after LASIK for myopia: Incidence and risk factors.Shoja MR, Besharati MR.

Department of Ophthalmology, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Science, Yadz - Iran.

PURPOSE. Patients frequently experience dry eye symptoms after laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK). The purpose of this study was to determine the incidence and risk factors of dry eye after myopic LASIK.

METHODS. In this retrospective case series 190 eyes that underwent LASIK were examined for a dry eye syndrome. All patents were asymptomatic for dry eyes before surgery. Assessments included subjective complaints of dry eye, tear break-up time (TBUT), corneal staining, corneal sensitivity test, and Schirmer I test. All values were compared before and at 1 week and 1.3 and 6 months after surgery.

RESULTS. For the 190 eyes, chronic dry eye persisting 6 months or more after LASIK was diagnosed in 20 percent of the eyes. Mean patient age was 31 +/- 8 years. The risk for chronic dry eye was significantly associated with higher attempted refractive correction, greater ablation depth, and female sex (p=0.001). Subjective score for dryness was increased after LASIK. The greatest change from preoperative levels for all parameters was noted at 1 week. There were obvious decreases in TBUT and Schirmer value at 1, 3, and 6 months postoperatively relative to preoperative level (p<0.05). The Schirmer I test result was higher at 1 day but without statistical significance (p>0.05), but lower at 1 week and 3 and 6 months (p<0.05) after LASIK. Corneal sensitivity was decreased at 1 month and 3 months, and returned to the preoperative level at 6 months after LASIK. There was a statistically significant effect of age, sex, and mean spherical equivalent refraction on corneal sensitivity (p<0.001).

CONCLUSIONS. Patients undergoing LASIK for myopia develop dry eye with compromised tear function at least 6 months after surgery. Women and patients requiring higher refractive correction have an increased risk for developing dry eye.

Note: The study only went out to six months.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:48 am 

Because the equipment malfunctioned while cutting the flap, I have only one lasik'd eye (right eye) so my left eye is the control. Nothing can be blamed on different physiology or whatever other excuse may be presented. My surgeries were in 2004. My right eye has been painfully drier than my left for the entire time. I am forced to wear gas perm contact lenses with glasses to restore my depth perception. Already unable to wear contacts because of dry eyes, they are constantly red, burning and stressed. When I wore prescription goggles in an attempt to ease the dryness, the left side would fog and moisture would run down the lense. The right lense was dry and the eye felt better but peripheral vision was bad. As a 55 yr old business woman - draftsman, goggles were not practical. So I live with the burn.
My latest strategy is to fight the cause of the dryness. Research has told me it is a result of systemic inflammation - arthritis and allergy are both signs. So is form fruste keratoconous which I was diagnosed with.
The struggle goes on.

Post subject: Another patient with a 'control eye'
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:26 am 

It is really difficult for surgeons and the industry to deny the dry eye/surgery connection when patients with a 'single' treated or 'differently' treated eyes are experiencing different symptoms in the fellow eyes.

I have a friend who has a flap cut in one eye and a surface treatment on the other eye. Only the eye with the flap is dry. The eyes look different, with the 'flap cut' eye often having a red, irritated appearance. He also has pain only in the eye with the flap - sometimes it is so severe he has to get a hot compress and lie down for a while.

Interestingly I have been informed that a staff member at the office where I had my bad LASIK, Duke University Laser Center... told a patient that LASIK doesn't cause pain. I have had pain and burning for several years since my LASIK at Duke University with Dr. Terry Kim. LASIK doesn't cause pain... yeah right - yet another untruth.