Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Swollen Eyelids?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:36 pm 

I was at the regular eye doctor the other day and he said I have severe dry eye. He said an option would be temporary plugs to help control it. My question is....do any of you with dry eye have swollen eyelids? Or is this another issue I should be worried about? The eye doctor said in general my eyes are extremely healthy considering everything...they are just extremely dry. So....I'm not sure what I should consider the cause of the swollen lids? Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:57 am 

Hi NorCalMrs,

A patient on this board, Elvira Galindo also had badly swollen eyelids after LASIK. It is a chronic problem with her. Kathy Griffin, commedian, also had a swolen eyelid (actually it looked like her surgeon beat her up, which he did... metaphorically).

What is a 'regular' eye doctor? Sorry, but not surprised to hear that you have dry eye. Any patient who has had LASIK likely has at least some surface staining issues, and of course, a thinned weakened cornea and a flap vulnerable to trauma and DLK at any time.

I guess INFLAMMATION is the easy answer to the swollen eyelid question. If you are at least 2 weeks past surgery you can try cold or warm washcloths or eyemasks (sold at the drugstore) and see if that helps.

If your eyelids/meibomian glands are an issue, lid scrubs and a doxycycline prescription may help.

You may also consider washing your eyes out with sterile saline and an eye cup once a day, using preservative-free artificial tears and taking omega-3 fatty acid supplements (pharmeceutical grade fish oil or flaxseed oil). Once you have reduced tear production and flow from corneal nerve damage, your tear pool is a cesspool. Sadly.

I drink at least 64 oz of diet green tea per day. This helps both with hydration, and inflammation, via antioxidant effect, I think. My eyes feel better when I do this. Antioxidant vitamins are another thing to consider. You could do all these things and it wouldn't hurt you. And may help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:56 pm 

Thanks for the info Scientist. By "regular" eye doctor, I just meant an eye doctor not specializing in Lasik. The eye doctors at the Lasik clinic are no help to me whatsoever, so I sought out one outside of the Lasik circle. I already take flaxseed oil. I'll try rinsing my eyes out and a hot compress as you stated because the eye doctor also recommended that for the dry eye already. Well, looks like I'm going to have to look into this more and go back to the doctor to find out what the hell is wrong this time. Ugh.

Post subject: LASIK is the gift that keeps on giving complications
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:26 pm 

Many patients who have had LASIK find that they spend all their time and money battling surgically induced complications such as dry eye. Since LASIK causes dry eye in every patient, the complication rate is 100%. Some LASIK patients are bothered more, some less by dry eye disease, but there are no hard and fast rules that will deterimine, prior to surgery, who will have serious occular surface disease from LASIK and who will not. All patients may eventually suffer from serious ocular surface disease as a result of having undergone LASIK eye surgery.

For this reason and more, continued practice of the LASIK procedure is immoral and reprehensible, and LASIK eye surgery should be discontinued.

Post subject: 2 months and my eyelids are still swollen also.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:51 am 

bags under the eyes and swollen eyelids. I'm thinking about bring a picture of myself from before the surgery to my next "check up".

Post subject: Re: 2 months and my eyelids are still swollen also.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:36 pm 

sylvysue wrote:
bags under the eyes and swollen eyelids.

Me, too -- 7 years post-op.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato