Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Root Canals and Lasik or Prk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:34 am 

I am hearing a lot about how dangerous root canals are in and of themselves and also with lasik, lasek. Also related to tooth implants being dangerous. Consider Mr. Perry:

It made news in the local newspaper -- the Fridge's gap-toothed smile was no more.

He wasn't messing around. He had all of his upper and lower teeth pulled and replaced. His smile was radiant. The only hitch was that in the ensuing days and weeks, he developed an infection in his mouth. A doctor prescribed antibiotics, but Perry had always been resistant to taking any sort of medication. It must've been a macho thing; he never had a valid answer as to why. But the longer he ignored his medicine, the sorer his mouth became. And the more his gums hurt, the more he began to drink vodka. He kept a gallon of it on his window sill.

"Whenever he would drink, he didn't feel any pain,'' says Daryl. "So he was masking the pain with the alcohol.''

All that being said, the doctors can only theorize now about what happened next. Because at some point in 2007, after the dental work, Perry's feet began going numb. And then his knees. And then his hands. For all intents and purposes, the Fridge was becoming frozen solid.

"I couldn't get up,'' he says. "I couldn't move. I couldn't do anything, couldn't hold a fork or spoon or anything.''

Most people would have hurried as fast as they could to a doctor, but Perry stayed for months upon end in his unfinished brick home, ignoring his body that was screaming out to him. His bride-to-be Valerie says she pleaded for him to go to the hospital, but he would wave her off. "I played football, you know,'' he says. "And whenever you broke something, you keep playing. No worry, you keep going and not run to a doctor. You don't run going, 'Mama, mama, mama.' So you know, I just ignored it.''

But once he was on the verge of paralysis, and was having trouble hearing, Valerie got her way in June of 2008. Perry was taken to Aiken Regional Medical Centers and diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, a disorder triggered when a person's immune system attacks his peripheral nervous system. It can start as muscle weakness and result in paralysis and death, and Perry had an advanced case.

Daryl says he was told by doctors that the mouth infection could have caused it and that the heavy drinking could have exacerbated it. Either way, the Fridge was in the hospital for five months.

He didn't feel like flashing his brand new smile.

The booze returns

It's bad enough having an illness you can't pronounce. But it's worse when the doctors tell you there's a chance you'll never be cured.

Guillain-Barre Syndrome, even when treated thoroughly, can resurface 3 percent of the time, according to medical journals, and Perry was warned when he left Aiken Regional Medical Centers to curtail his alcohol use.