Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: a tooth and eye
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:44 pm 

Bob McNichol has been fighting to get his sight back, tooth and ? eye?

The 57-year-old Irishman was blinded two years ago after an aluminum explosion at a recycling plant, AFP reported Thursday. His sight has been miraculously restored after doctors inserted his son?s tooth in his eye.

"I thought that I was going to be blind for the rest of my life," McNichol told RTE state radio, AFP reported.

After doctors told McNichol there was nothing more they could do for him, he heard about an offbeat operation called Osteo-Odonto-Keratoprosthesis (OOKP) being performed in England.

OOKP, first performed in Italy in the 1960s, involves creating an artificial cornea by using the patient?s tooth and surrounding bone as a support, AFP reported.

McNichol?s son Robert, 23, donated a tooth, its root and part of his jaw for his father?s surgery. McNichol?s right eye socket was rebuilt, and a lens was inserted into a hole drilled in Robert?s tooth. The procedure required two surgeries lasting a total of 15 hours.

"It is pretty heavy going," McNichol told RTE state radio. "I have enough sight to get around and I can watch television. I have come out from complete darkness to be able to do simple things.?

Click here to read more on this story from