It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:22 am

All times are UTC

Do you also have cataract post LASIK?
yes 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
no 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: cataract post LASIK
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:27 pm 

I had LASIK in 2001. I also went through one enhancement on my left eye and two enhancements on my right eyes. My right eye was still weak after the enhancements. I am 45 now and I am seeking treatment for cataract on both eyes, especially the right one. I went to two doctors. The first one does LASIK and he did not think my cataract was related to LASIK. The second one did LASIK before, but does not do it any more. She thought the eye ball "sucking" during LASIK could cause cataract. For my case, my right eye is worse than my left eye. There could be some cause-effort there.
I hope not, but does anyone have similar experience like mine? I am going to a medical school hospital for my treatment because the second doctor thinks I need to be more careful about my case with my thinner right cornea, although I have had a surgey appointment with the first doctor who cannot wait to perform carateract surgery on my right eye.

Post subject: Is this the right forum?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:34 pm 

I am new. I am sorry if I post in the wrong forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:15 pm 

Hi kliou,

This post is probably best suited for the General forum or So You've Had a Bad Refractive Surgery Outcome. Not everyone reads this forum.

I believe there is a relationship between LASIK and early cataracts. Steriod drops prescribed after LASIK and UV radiation from the laser may cause cataracts. The "eye ball sucking" is what happens when they apply the suction ring to your eye to make your eye stiff and immobile for the flap cut. There is a sudden increase, then a sudden decrease of pressure inside the eye. Also consider acoustic shock waves and thermal effects of the laser -- it's no wonder people develop early cataracts -- especially after repeat operations.

Of course LASIK surgeons deny that there's a cause and effect relationship. :roll: You cannot trust doctors who perform LASIK to be honest about its risks.

Cataract surgery after LASIK is problematic. Due to the altered corneal surface, calculation of the intraocular lens power is inaccurate. Please read these links and feel free to ask questions.

http://thelasikflap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99

http://thelasikflap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=376

http://thelasikflap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1028

Best regards,
BE

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:46 pm 

Can you or the admin move this topic to General or Bad Outcome? or I can copy it over. I do want to share my experience with others.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:41 am 

I'll send a private message to Admin to move it.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:10 am 

kliou-
I was 43 when I learned I had cataracts in both eyes. I was shocked as we had no family history of cataracts at such a young age. I had lasik surgery done on both eyes about 10 years ago. The only connection I could make was to the lasik surgery I had, but my doctor dismissed it, however he is one of the largest lasik surgeons in town. I would loeve to hear if other are having the same issue, it was the only connection I could make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:05 pm 

You might find this webpage of interest...

http://lasikdisaster.com/inducedcataract.htm