Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dr. Dean Dornic, MD - patient suicidal over LASIK outcome
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:13 pm 

It's ironic that LASIK surgeon Dr. Dean Dornic, MD , practicing in Cary, North Carolina, would write an editorial to the Raleigh News and Observer claiming that the universally damaging surgery that he performs has been unfairly maligned, as one of his own patients is currently suicidal over post-LASIK chronic pain.

The LASIK flap never heals, Dr. Dornic - corneal nerve damage is probably permanent after LASIK, and resulting dry eye and associated ocular surface disease is present in nearly half of patients with superior hinge flaps SIX months after LASIK. LASIK dry eye can be extremely painful.

Objective tests, not patient satisfaction surveys... must be performed to evaluate LASIK, because a patient with damaged corneal nerves may not be capable of sensing dryness.

Also, a patient who receives bilateral simultaneous LASIK may not realize how much night vision they have lost without a 'good eye' for comparison.

Since when is a surgery that creates a flap that is only around 2% as strong as a normal cornea and will never heal... healthy for patients in any way and acceptable as a vision correction alternative?

Clinical trials for the VISX lasers included contrast sensitivity data, but these data were not submitted in the original PMA application to the FDA. Why? Poor results! Significant loss of contrast sensitivity was found at every time point studied - out to a year. Certainly they didn't want to admit THIS to the FDA.

Dr. Dean Dornic, MD was aware when he wrote this editorial that he had a patient with servere post-LASIK dry eye pain in serious crisis. Dr. Dean Dornic's callous advice to this woman was to wear goggles. LASIK surgeons know that they cause serious nerve damage with each surgery and that most patients will experience dry eye. Even the FDA admits that LASIK dry eye can be permanent! Patients have been legally blinded by LASIK, and have lost careers, homes, and relationships from this mutilation masquerading as medicine. Yet, Dr. Dean Dornic dares to equate risks of LASIK with condiment blobs on clothes from fast food.

This comment would be monstrous uttered by any person, but is especially disturbing from the mouth of a physician.

LASIK is so profitable to surgeons that they simply cannot be trusted to give advice that is in a patient's best interest.

LASIK causes permanent irreparable harm to every eye on which it is performed. LASIK, even wavefront LASIK, increases corneal distortions known as higher order aberrations, even though wavefront treatments are disingenuously marketed to treat higher order aberrations. They don't. They cause them in normal previously unoperated eyes.

Recently it was found that corneal cell loss in patients who have had any form of excimer laser eye surgery is signficant and progressive. Patients are found to lose corneal tissue at 7-9 times the rate of a healthy unoperated eye.

It's no surprise, then that patients are experiencing corneal thinning and bulging known as post-LASIK ectasia years after supposedly successful surgeries.

It is also likely that most if not all patients who have had LASIK will develop severe dry eye with age. Patients who have NOT had their corneal nerves sliced and burned tend to develop dry eye with age. Imagine what dryness associated with aging will be like for patients who have already lost much of their corneal nerve density to an overmarketed, overhyped, dangerous, and universally damaging elective eye surgery?

Any patient considering LASIK should read The LASIK Report at http://www.thelasikreport.com and also the Top Ten Reasons Not to Have LASIK on this forum.

Surgeons like Dr. Dean Dornic, MD, who market and perform elective excimer laser eye surgeries such as LASIK may one day become the leading cause of vision loss and eye pathology in America.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:16 am 

No such thing as exceptional LASIK surgery

I just came across this on the internet:

Quote:
Dr. Dean Dornic - Providing Exceptional LASIK Surgery in Cary, NC

There is no such thing as exceptional LASIK surgery. That's sort of like saying 'terrific unneccessary amputation' or 'glorious mutilation'.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:09 pm 

I have been Dornicked by Dr. Dean Dornic, MD

Got dry eye? I do.

Pre-existing dry eye is supposed to be a contraindication for corneal refracive surgery. I had contact lens intolerance which should have been a red flag for development of serious post-LASIK dry eye. Dr. Dean Dornic told me that getting LASIK eye surgery is safer than wearing contacts.

There is no way this is true.

Do contact lenses permanently damage the eyes of every wearer?

LASIK permanently damages the eyes of every patient who has this surgery. The flap never heals. The nerves never regenerate normally. Patients end up with corneas that are more irregular and distorted.

I am angry with Dr. Dornic and his entire office staff. I wonder what their meetings are like? The whole staff logically must be collaborating to victimize patients like myself. I have definitely been victimized. There is no way I had proper informed consent for my procedure. If I had heard a fraction of the truth about LASIK I would have headed for the door.

In my opinion, this LASIK surgery is a sham and the so-called doctors who perform it are a menace to society.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:17 pm 

Why lasik surgeons suck

Mommas, don't let your babes grow up to be lasik surgeons.
Let them be teachers and nurses and caregivers,
Let them be honest citizens,
The world does not need another lasik surgeon!
They say "watch your back"
You better watch your eyes!
I used to pray for world peace, harmony,
Now I pray for my corneal nerves.

Let me get through another day,
as I journey this healing path,
All those injured find healing and support,
To you lasik surgeons, you suck!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:19 am 

Ben - you still have some healing time left. That isn't to say you won't have some dry eye. Yes, your doctor performed an unneccessary mutilation of your corneas - a mutilation that wasn't explained well enough for you to possibly give proper informed consent.

Some patients have dry eye so severe they must wear goggles full time and cannot enjoy something as simple as watching a movie or reading a book. You are not one of those people.

However, your flap will never heal. The LASIK flap never heals. But you will find strength in other patients and use your very public position to inform others about how unbelievably harmful excimer laser eye surgeries really are and you will be able to keep many eyes safe from the so-called doctors who would violate the Hippocratic oath 'First do no harm' to make themselves rich at the expense of the vision and eye health of patients in their own communities.

Last edited by Eye on Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:59 am 

Dr. Dean Dornic, MD is advertising in Durham, NC

Dr. Dean Dornic, MD had a full page ad in the Durham Herald Sun yesterday. I suppose now that he has exposed his callous views to the readers of the Raleigh News & Observer, he has decided to try his hand at luring in Durham and Triangle residents into his Cary, NC and Smithfield, NC offices.

Does Dr. Dean Dornic, MD list the risks of LASIK in his advertisements? Of course not! Instead his ads state things like "Beyond 20/20" without listing ANY of the risks of LASIK.

Dr. Dean Dornic, MD should take note that many medical doctors who took their Hippocratic Oath seriously consider this type of advertising to be unethical. In fact, many feel that LASIK advertisements are the epitome of unethical sensationalism.

Yet Dr. Dean Dornic, MD with offices in Cary, NC and Smithfield, NC has the nerve to claim that a thoroughly researched news report on LASIK that is backed by real statistical data is sensationalized. Perhaps Dr. Dean Dornic, MD considers the definition of sensationalism to be any truth that hurts his wallet.

I suggest that Dr. Dean Dornic, MD balance his advertisements by using ads like "Beyond 20/20 or Eye Hell ... do you feel lucky today?" or how about "Beyond 20/20 and if something goes wrong, you're screwed because LASIK MD's like myself cannot fix the problems that we create".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:19 am 

Quote:
Does Dr. Dean Dornic, MD list the risks of LASIK in his advertisements? Of course not! Instead his ads state things like "Beyond 20/20" without listing ANY of the risks of LASIK.

The LASIK-induced eye pain that Dr. Dean Dornic's suicidal patient is currently experiencing is certainly 'beyond 20/20'.

Post subject: Ben Dornicked is trying to stay alive after LASIK
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:11 pm 

My life after LASIK preformed by Dr. Dean Dornic, MD in Cary

This is my life after LASIK, I am in month 3 and I am trying so hard to stay alive after LASIK, life before LASIK was heaven and now it is hell:

-severed corneal nerves in my eyes can no longer send messages to the brain to secrete the oils and tears needed to lubricate my eyes, so now my eyes are incredibly painfully dry and irritated
-incredible pain behind my eye
-lack of sleep because of pain
-diagnosed with depression & PSTD following LASIK
-tried to commit suicide by wrapping my neck and suffocating myself, husband came home early from work and found me in a pile of vomit
-puffy eyelids
-When I get home from work I wear goggles to cook, clean and watch TV in, my husband thinks I look like a dominatrix with my black goggles on
-family no longer talks to me because they don't understand why I am in pain, my eyes only look red, they cannot see the lack of oils that my eyes need and cannot have because of cut corneal nerves.
-difficulty working, I have missed over 15 days at my job since August
-two weekly therapy appointments because of massive depression after Lasik
-2 psychiatrists were unable to prescribe the right meds to control my pain and depression
-3rd psychiatrist prescribed REMERON (mirtazapine) for depression, Neurontin (Gabapentin) for my eye pain and Ativan (Larazepam) to control my crying spells.
-the depression, suicidal thoughts, pain and anxiety after LASIK has been unbearable
-cannot fall asleep at night without an eye mask to keep eyelids shut at night
-I now take many supplements to help my eyes and hopefully to lubricate my eyes
-I used to love to drive my convertible, but now I am afraid the wind will dry my eyes and cause pain
-I am an organ donor and now my eyes cannot be used because of LASIK
-no friends call anymore because they are afraid of what to say to me
-coworkers run in opposite direction because they know something is dreadfully wrong with me because my eyes are all puffy and red
-cannot go shopping because the air in stores irritate my eyes
-went to Art Museum yesterday to take students and the air inside the Museum burned and irritated my eyes
-cannot take care of my chickens anymore because the dust in the coop irritates and inflames my eyes.
-Piles of bills lay waiting to be paid, expenses because of bad LASIK

-I used to attend exercise classes after work but the pain from LASIK is to intense and I have to close my eyes around 6:00pm because of eye pain induced from bad LASIK by Dr. Dean Dornic, MD

-odd floaters in my eyes, annoying to look at computer screen
-this list is just a start, update to follow....
questions? e-mail bendornicked@yahoo.com

Post subject: Was Dr. Dean Dornic and staff caring and sympathetic?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:27 pm 

Dear Ben,

Hopefully Dr. Dean Dornic and staff did not violate informed consent laws and adequately informed you of the well-known complication of LASIK dry eye, which is the most common complication of LASIK.

We all pray that you receive the best treatments from medical professionals who actually honor their Hippocratic Oath to 'First, do no harm'.

In the meantime, it is important for you to reach out to people who DO understand what you're going through (good therapists and other damaged LASIK patients) to get you through the worst stages of your post-LASIK post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

My best guess is that Dr. Dean Dornic and his staff were not exactly warm, fuzzy and helpful with regard to your legitimate and surgically-induced crisis.