Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: What is your success wearing RGPs?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:38 am 

I am interested to know what problems can these lenses help with (dim light vision, under/overcorrection, etc.). Thinking of making a trip to Florida to see the doc mentioned on here, but before making the long trip, I would like to hear of some success in wearing them.

Post subject: Re: What is your success wearing RGPs?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:01 am 

junekat wrote:
I am interested to know what problems can these lenses help with (dim light vision, under/overcorrection, etc.). Thinking of making a trip to Florida to see the doc mentioned on here, but before making the long trip, I would like to hear of some success in wearing them.

RGPs can help with refractive error (under/overcorrection, induced astigmatism) and dim light visual disturbances such as starbursts, halos, ghost images (irregular astigmatism/higher order aberrations), etc. I am undercorrected (due to regression), have induced astigmatism, and have debilitating night vision problems -- RGPs correct most of this visual garbage for me. I actually wear SynergEyes, which are hard in the center with a soft skirt.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:51 pm 

Hello junekat,

I have been wearing custom RGPs since early 2002. I had LASIK in 2000, resulting in lots of HOAs and very poor night vision; plus, I regressed back to being nearsighted. My RGPs correct 95% of my problems, and are especially helpful at night.

The hardest part about getting custom lenses for post-RS patients is finding an OD who does specialty CL fitting. When I lived in Michigan, I saw a great OD in Jackson, MI; I am sure others on the site can refer you to their ODs if you tell us where you are. Many ODs who fit lenses for keratoconus and other corneal problems, also do post-refractive surgery lenses.

Unless Florida is convenient for you for other reasons, you might want to consider alternatives. Check out the doctor locater at: http://www.wavecontactlenses.com/

There is also an OD near Dallas, Texas, Dr Greg Gemoules, who specializes in post-RS CL fitting.

In addition to custom RGPs, there are larger diameter lenses called sclerals or MacroLenses, which are more expensive but also supposed to be more comfortable.

Regards,

Lynne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:28 am 

Very Helpful. Thank you.