Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mutifocal Lens Implantation Surgery
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:47 pm 

What is Mutifocal Lens Implantation Surgery? A friend of mine is -12 and she's going for a consultation. Is that safe??? I've never heard of such, but I told her to be very careful and not to trust her eye Dr. and to keep in mind that even if that surgery is FDA approved, that don't mean ANYTHING. I said I'd see if I could find info out for her.

Post subject: Re: Mutifocal Lens Implantation Surgery
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:51 am 

Regrets wrote:
What is Mutifocal Lens Implantation Surgery? A friend of mine is -12 and she's going for a consultation. Is that safe??? I've never heard of such, but I told her to be very careful and not to trust her eye Dr. and to keep in mind that even if that surgery is FDA approved, that don't mean ANYTHING. I said I'd see if I could find info out for her.

Multifocal Lens Implantation means that the natural crystalline lens is removed and a fake lens (IOL) is inserted to replace it. A multifocal IOL is designed with near vision refractive power centrally, and distance vision refractive power peripherally. I don't see how anyone can tolerate these lenses personally because of visual side effects of a multifocal lens. Imagine that you put a contact lens on your eye that corrected you for distance in the periphery of the lens and simultaneously corrected you for near vision centrally. Of course it's hard for you to imagine because you are young and your natural lens still accomodates -- your focus adjusts naturally from near to far. But when you reach your 40's you'll begin to lose it and your focus will be locked in. How old is your friend? Does she have cataracts?

If you find out the brand name of the IOL that the surgeon uses I'll see if I can locate the patient labeling for you, and also the clinical trial summary that discloses the adverse events experienced by the patients in the clinical trials. It would also be interesting to look up the adverse events reported in the FDA MedWatch database. Regarding whether or not this is safe, it's as safe as cataract surgery, and that depends on your definition of safe. My mother's eye doctor keeps telling her she needs cataract surgery, and I ask my mother if her vision is a real problem for her, and she says no, so I tell her not to do it until she feels her vision is affecting her quality of life. There are definite risks with cataract surgery, regardless of what an eye surgeon says!

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:35 am 

Quote:
What is Mutifocal Lens Implantation Surgery? A friend of mine is -12 and she's going for a consultation. Is that safe???

The consultation itself is likely fairly safe, unless your friend is allergic to B.S. :wink:

Beyond that, I'd have to agree with Broken Eyes. Wait until your cataracts are visually significant and THEN have cataract surgery. Ask the doctor to make the prescription a diopter and a half to two diopters nearsighted with the cataract surgery and you'll retain some of your near vision (but still need glasses for the fine print).

I also agree that multifocal lenses probably are not ready for 'prime time' and are too experimental to recommend. Surgeons love to cut and experiment, and they usually don't mind if YOU are the pioneer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:00 pm 

Thanks for the replies BE and Scitentist,

My friend is 25 and she does not have cataracts. She does have floaters though. The way she explained floaters to me is that it's your retina slowly detatching, and when she sees those things flying around, she's basically seeing little parts of her eye that have fallen apart and are floating around in there.

Her Dr. told her that because she is -12, has large pupils and large eyeballs...she is already in danger of retinal detachment. I didn't know that having large pupils could cause your retina to detatch! He also said that having lens implantation would put her at an even greater risk for her retina to detach.

She said that in the best lighting, with the best prescription, her eyes are only fixable to 20/40 and her night vision is terrible. She has a hard time driving because headlight starbursts are so bad, they cause her to not be able to see when someone turns their blinker on.

Her Dr. has at least been honest in saying she is not a good candidate for LASIK...because her prescription is so high, and her cornea is only average thick, so there's not enough to be playing around with. She has decided against this lens implantation as well; she says it's too new and not gaurenteed. She is afraid to put herself at greater risk for retina detachment as well. Also, she can't afford the lens you were speaking of that does near and far vision. She was going to get one that only does distance vision, and she'd have to have reading glasses, which she doesn't really want to do either.

So, no lense implantation, but what CAN she do? She was asking about gas permiable lesnes that fix your vision over night. Would those help?

Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:33 am 

Because she's only 25, her natural lens still accomodates to change focus from far to near. If she had this surgery, she would lose that, which is why the surgeon is suggesting a "multifocal" lens.

The surgeon was honest about the risk of retinal detachment with IOL implantation.

But did he tell her that large pupils are also a problem for IOL implantation? The optics of the lens may not be large enough for her pupils. Basically she would see some of the same garbage that I see.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato