Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: "Successful LASIK" is an oxymoron
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:17 pm 

"Successful LASIK" is an oxymoron.
The flap never heals. It cannot heal. All it can do is form a scar at the margin of the flap which is only 28% as strong as a normal cornea. The flap itself does not bond to the underlying cornea and can be dislodged or lifted years later.

The corneal nerves that play a vital role in tear production never fully regenerate. A scientific peer-reviewed study proved that at 3 years post-op the corneal nerves are still less than 60% of pre-op densities. LASIK induced dry eyes is common and for many patients is a life-long sentence.

The suction ring used during the cutting of the flap damages the delicate structures inside the eye including the retina, vitreous, and optic nerve. Many patients report increased floaters (posterior vitreous detachment) after LASIK, and some experience retinal tears or detachment, lacquer cracks, macular holes, macular hemorrhages, optic neuropathy, and retinal vein occlusion.

LASIK corneas are not as stable as normal corneas and can begin to bulge weeks, months, or even years later, potentially resulting in loss of the cornea. This bulging is a response to the normal intraocular pressure. A LASIK-weakened cornea sometimes can no longer withstand this outward force. The FDA used a best-guess safety limit of 250 microns of cornea under the flap when LASIK was approved. Since then it has been shown in the medical literature that 250 is not a safe limit, even though the vast majority of LASIK surgeons, who are too busy doing LASIK to follow the research, are still using an unsafe limit of 250 microns. And the FDA does not have the backbone to modify the approval, allowing the LASIK industry to continue this unsafe practice that jeopardizes the well-being of millions of patients.

There is permanent damage in 100% of LASIK corneas -- debris in the space between the flap and the underlying cornea, undulations and microfolds in the Bowman's layer -- presumably because the flap doesn't fit to the altered corneal bed, haze, epithelial cells under the flap, acutely and chronically reduced keratocytes, epithelial thickening, collagen fibril disorganization, collagen lamellar disarray, and abnormalities of the Descemet membrane.

Quote from one peer-reviewed study: "However, the presence of pathologic findings up to 7 years after LASIK indicates that the process of
corneal stroma wound healing never completely regenerates histopathologically normal corneal stroma."

Loss of night vision quality after LASIK occurs frequently, according to a 2002 report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. For some patients, particularly those with large pupils, this complication can be debilitating. Since this is a "frequent" problem after LASIK, I wonder how many of the approximately 8 million Americans who have had LASIK are out there on the roads at night endangering their life and the lives of others who share the roads with them? A recent study showed that up to 50% of LASIK patients are impaired when driving at night. Yet this serious threat to the public health is down-played and swept under the rug by the LASIK industry.

And then we have the problem of the white wall of silence. Doctors are pressured by their peers not to testify for patients who are victims of LASIK malpractice. They are threatened by their own insurance carriers, which could put them out of business. And they are concerned about giving LASIK a black eye by helping a patient seek justice for the harm done to him or her in a public forum like a court of law. They cave in to the pressures, leaving patients without any recourse -- medical, legal or otherwise. So doctors just get away with it and standard of care and informed consent continue to be basically non-existent. And the FDA says it's not their problem (they regulate the devices, not the doctors).

So who's looking out for the patients? Who's going to warn them that 1/3 of their corneas will be nearly sliced off, leaving them with a structurally weakened cornea that can begin to bulge years down the road? Who's going to warn them of the seriousness of LASIK-induced dry eyes, that the nerves never regenerate, and that painful dry eyes can be permanent? Who's going to warn them that LASIK, all LASIK -- conventional and custom, induces higher order aberrations in all virgin corneas, effectively reducing the quality of their vision? Who's going to warn them of the damage the suction ring can do to the structures inside the eye? Who's going to warn them that the flap never heals?

You would think doctors would be protecting patients. Wake up and smell the coffee. Money is what drives them, not a desire to heal the sick. They don't deserve to be called doctors. They are no better than used car salesmen.

Last edited by Bill on Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: "succesful lasik outcome"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:41 pm 

I would have been what you call a succesful lasik outcome because I am 20/20 in both eyes. Unfortunately 6 years after lasik I developed the worse case of dry eyes!! The doctors here in Panama dismissed lasik, how could it be, after so long? But all my lab tests for sjogren's, arthritis, lupus, etc. came back negative. In my family there is no one with dry eye syndrome.

The only explanation for such problem is lasik. Additionally my lasik flap left me with scar tissue in both corneas but it never seemed to bother me until Dec. 2003 (I had lasik in 1997).

I pray that they find something to help us all!!

Best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:34 am 

Good for you and very well put. I wish this could be published and put on the counter of every Lasik center around the world and on a "quiz" before patients elect to let the doctor botch their eye. Kudos for you!

Post subject: Re: "Successful LASIK" is an oxymoron
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:06 am 

Bill wrote:
You would think doctors would be protecting patients. Wake up and smell the coffee. Money is what drives them, not a desire to heal the sick. They don't deserve to be called doctors. They are no better than used car salesmen.

I think they are worse than used car salesmen. These greedy and unconscionable doctors take away not only your money but also your health.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:52 am 

and they take your health for the rest of your life. you can sell a bad used car, even if you sell it for junk.

you cant sell a bad used lasik. nobody wants it. you own it, you use it everyday, and you cant get rid of it. ever.

Post subject: DO LASIK DOCTOR'S ENTER INTO HEAVEN OR HELL?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:28 pm 

The so called Dr Nick Caro's of the world, doctors with slews of unhappy patients and 50+ lawsuits, are worst then the "used car salesmen" of the worst degree. I do believe in God, I do believe they will face their fate one day. I do believe that what goes around comes full circle. I do believe that we will all be judged for our actions here on planet Earth. I do believe that human beings know "right" from "wrong" just as simply as they know "left" from "right." I do believe the industry is feeling our complaints be them one at a time, but things will have to get better if they are to keep convincing the general "now more informed" public that Lasik does a eye good, when all of these citizens are starting hear that Lasik isn't the best thing since SLICED WONDER BREAD!

Signed,

A Doctor's Conscience! Judgement is coming...
Is it HEAVEN or HELL that you will be going to?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:12 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Bill wrote:

At least dealing with used car salesmen, you can still see...

The truth will definitely prevail!

http://www.lasikdecision.com
http://nevyasvmorgan.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:28 pm 

Bill wrote:
"Successful LASIK" is an oxymoron.
The flap never heals. It cannot heal. All it can do is form a scar at the margin of the flap which is only 28% as strong as a normal cornea. The flap itself does not bond to the underlying cornea and can be dislodged or lifted years later.

http://www.journalofrefractivesurgery.c ... hing=11320
Cohesive Tensile Strength of Human LASIK Wounds With Histologic, Ultrastructural, and Clinical Correlations

Excerpt:
The human corneal stroma typically heals after LASIK in a limited and incomplete fashion; this results in a weak, central and paracentral hypocellular primitive stromal scar that averages 2.4% as strong as normal corneal stroma. Conversely, the LASIK flap wound margin heals by producing a 10-fold stronger, peripheral hypercellular fibrotic stromal scar that averages 28.1% as strong as normal corneal stromal, but displays marked variability. [J Refract Surg. 2005;21:433-445.]

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/61/68084.htm
An Eye on LASIK -- Bill Lloyd, MD -- 02/27/03

Excerpt:
Member: Dr. I had LASIK about four years ago and I developed some cell growth beneath my cornea and it keeps coming back. The cells I have were called epithelia cells and keep coming back. Do you have any advice that I could share with my doctor?

Lloyd: You are experiencing a very common complication from LASIK surgery. The outermost layer of cells on the corneal surface is called the epithelium. When the LASIK flap is created, a new pathway for these cells is created. The LASIK flap never heals. As an experienced eye pathologist, I can tell you that the LASIK flap NEVER heals. That means there is a thin layer of corneal tissue resting on the remaining cornea for life. No scar forms because (once again) there is no healing.

This raises two critical points: The LASIK flap remains available to both epithelial cells and germs for the remainder of your life. Secondly, the LASIK flap can be easily dislodged from simple contact with the eye such as a finger poke. Once the flap is lost the eye is in serious trouble. It will require a corneal transplant (a much more serious operation) to regain useful eyesight. Anyone who has had LASIK needs to wear eye protection when outdoors, working in the yard or participating in vigorous activities. These precautions must be followed for a lifetime.

A local ophthalmologist specializing in corneal diseases knows about the most helpful ways to eliminate those trespassing epithelial cells. Consider a consultation as soon as possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Connect the dots and there you have it - a never-heal-flap that no one wants.
If you are into contact sports, stay away from LASIK.

Post subject: Message to doctors who don't tell patients...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:36 pm 

Corneal refractive surgeons who do not inform patients:

- That they will likely have induced distortions from wavefront treatment.
- That corneal refractive surgery damages corneal nerves and that thi damage may be permenent and debilitating, especially in later years as eyes dry naturally with age.
- That corneal refractive surgery thins and weakens the cornea and that the cornea may bulge significanly (causing regression) or develop ectasia (progressive bulging) that may require a corneal transplant.

Doctors who perform corneal refractive surgery and do not inform patients of these facts in clear language is NOT providing informed consent. Failure to provide proper informed consent is malpractice.

I recieved a phone call from a former happy 20/20 who overheard her doctor saying she may have ectasia. He wouldn't admit this when confronted. She also has dry eye. Symptoms developed 8 years after LASIK.

Where do all the refractive surgeons intend to hide when the damage from their handiwork becomes apparent to all? They won't be able to say they didn't know their surgeries were harmful, because the information that refractive surgery induces distortions, causes loss of contrast sensitivity, thins and weakens the cornea and damages corneal nerves was available to them in journals in their field, and discussed at their scientific meetings. Patients are developing debilitating dry eye years after surgery. Patients are developing ectasia and DLK years after surgery. Refractive surgeons and the refractive surgery industry had no right to use us all as guinea pigs when they clearly had NO idea what they were doing and no idea how to fix the multitude of problems they created.

Message to doctors who perform corneal refractive surgery - stop hurting people! Especially if you fail to fully inform patients before surgery. I would love to meet the patient who was fully informed about what would happen to their eyes before they consented to corneal refractive surgery. I'm still waiting.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:47 pm 

surgieyes wrote:
If you are into contact sports, stay away from LASIK.

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/LASIK/when.htm
Quote:
When is LASIK not for me?
You are probably NOT a good candidate for refractive surgery if:
You actively participate in contact sports. You participate in boxing, wrestling, martial arts or other activities in which blows to the face and eyes are a normal occurrence.

Post subject: LASIK is not for you if you have EYES!
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:18 am 

If you have eyes and you would like them to continue to work properly in a pain-free manner, in all lighting conditions... then LASIK is not for you.

Post subject: Re: LASIK is not for you if you have EYES!
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:29 am 

Eye wrote:
If you have eyes and you would like them to continue to work properly in a pain-free manner, in all lighting conditions... then LASIK is not for you.

Beautifully said, Eye.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: why are people getting lasik? Thats bad!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:54 am 

How can we better inform people that no good can come from lasik? What can be done if someone isnt convinced or wont listen? :(

Post subject: well put
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:44 pm 

I got to the point where I can no longer tolerate my contacts and they stopped working properly anyway because of extremely dry eyes.I am back to glasses at the moment but still very dizzy and disoriented.I don't know where to turn next to try and get relief from the dysfunction.My life has come to a stop after the second surgery to try to fix the first botched surgery.DON'T LET LASIK CLAIM ANOTHER VICTIM!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:43 pm 

I am hoping that in a year, all the bad will naturally go away. And I won't have to be here complaining anymore.