Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:47 pm 

(If you think you're safe because things are going well in your early post-op period, think again... late onset complications of LASIK may still be lurking years down the road...)

http://www.escrs.com/PUBLICATIONS/EUROT ... hanics.pdf

Dr Dupps, Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland, Ohio.

Quote:
He noted that one of the more disconcerting aspects of post-LASIK ectasia is the observation by Randleman et al that average onset of the disease is around 16 months after surgery, with some cases that present as late as 45 months postoperatively.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:32 pm 

(All LASIK, even wavefront custom LASIK, decreases visual quality by inducing irregularities in the cornea called higher order aberrations.)

http://www.escrs.com/PUBLICATIONS/EUROT ... tments.pdf

Quote:
While all lasers produced excellent visual acuity and refractive outcomes, they all increased HOA with pre-operative HOA RMS below 0.3 μm.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:50 pm 

http://www.ophmanagement.com/article.aspx?article=86773

Ophthalmology Management
February 2007

Once a Patient, Always a Patient
Lessons in refractive patient retention.

By Michael W. Malley

Quote:
Discussing long-term post-LASIK visual needs with a patient is probably not a good idea BEFORE they have the procedure.

Post subject: Dr. Terry Kim doesn't guarantee outcomes at Duke
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:27 am 

Quote:
"Hey, we don't guarantee outcomes here!"

Dr. Terry Kim of Duke University Laser Center as he slaps a patient whose vision he damaged amiably on the back.

Post subject: Lasik Vs. Contacts
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:09 am 

Lasik Vs. Contacts

http://www.nbc6.net/vision/11264035/detail.html

Quote:
"It [corneal refractive surgery] doesn't stop your eyes from changing," she said. "It doesn't obviate your need for correction throughout your life and in fact my patients who had surgery five and six years ago are all back in glasses and contact lenses."

Dr. Andrea Thau

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:57 pm 

http://www.ophmanagement.com/article.aspx?article=86452

Ophthalmology Management
October 2005

L.C. LAHAYE, M.D., H.H. RIEKE, PH.D. AND F.F. FARSHAD, PH.D.

Quote:
The "burning flesh" odor resulting from the excimer laser beam is strong and stenchful to the physician, nurses and patients in the operating room. In addition, the aerosol plume particles attach to hair, clothing, surfaces of surgical equipment and exposed skin, and can heighten patient anxiety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:00 am 

http://www.escrs.org/PUBLICATIONS/EUROT ... omesin.pdf

Emanuel Rosen MD FRCS,

?When we alter the quality of people's
vision we alter the quality of people's lives,
it's a life-changing experience,? he said."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:51 am 

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... 407_5q.php

Stephen Brint MD:

"Over time, we surgeons have encountered some unanticipated problems with this procedure. Ectasia is the most significant and least understood complication associated with LASIK."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:31 pm 

http://www.osnsupersite.com/view.asp?rid=21785

OSN SuperSite Top Story 5/7/2007

Ethics should guide clinical trial participation, experts advise

Quote:
Still, even a small sum of money may alter how some physicians handle disclosure, report trial data and advise patients, Dr. Waring said.

"What concerns me is that if the person informing the patient is themselves poorly or inaccurately informed then how on earth can consent ever be truly informed?" Dr. Sarah Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:25 am 

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=3752

A. John Kanellopoulos, M.D.

Quote:
?For the United States, we?re talking about at least 60,000 eyes a year that will need an enhancement,? he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:00 am 

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=3753
EyeWorld
April, 2007

Richard Lindstrom, M.D.:

Quote:
But, in 10 years of performing LASIK, Dr. Lindstrom and other surgeons in Minneapolis, encountered complications due to the microkeratomes used. They encountered ?slipped flaps, striae, DLK, and epithelial ingrowth. In addition, as we?ve watched our patients for a period of time, we have seen that some of our patients have developed corneal ectasia,? he said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:22 pm 

Robert Maloney, MD quote:

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=3812

"According to Robert K. Maloney, M.D., Los Angeles, California, after refractive surgery many patients have reduced tear production and complain of symptomatic dry eyes."

Post subject: Nicholas Charles Caro, MD of Saint George Vision, Chicago IL
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:08 am 

"Your eyes could take 5,6,7 years until they fully heal after lasik, then you'll know what you're left with...until then, just wait patiently."

Nicholas Caro, MD
Saint George Vision
Chicago, IL

PS-The part that he forgot to quote was:

"The reason I am telling you it will take 5,6,7 years is so that you can't sue me since the Statute of Limitations will have run out by then, and also you'll be double screwed as by then, you won't be able to submit an insurance claim for long term disability which would have paid you 60% of what you earned at the time of Lasik...Oh, well, tough luck buddy, have a nice day! That will be $5,000 please for ruining your life and your vision..."

Post subject: Out of the Mouths of LASIK Surgeons and Co-Managing ODs
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:47 am 

Out of the Mouths of LASIK Surgeons and Co-Managing ODs

http://www.lasikflap.com/Lasiktruth/interest.htm

These are comments that refractive surgery patients are hearing from their "doctors". It's no wonder patients are angry and frustrated, and that LASIK litigation is a rising tide.

"Are you constantly comparing both eyes?"

"We don't treat pain."

"From a pure visual acuity stand point, your results are outstanding".

"My recommendation is to give it time as many of these symptoms may resolve".

"You can read 1 letter on the 20/20 line and guess 2 others, that means you're 20/20"

"Remember, you SAID you had halo's BEFORE surgery!"

"I told you that this was ELECTIVE surgery, there's no medical reason to have had it, after all, glasses and contacts have worked perfectly for years...."

"Yes, you still need glasses AFTER LASIK, but now they are much thinner, and more stylish...."

"Of course, you KNOW you had SUPER-HUMAN vision before LASIK with your glasses. There's no way LASIK can duplicate THAT......"

"That MUST have been a condition you had BEFORE LASIK. You just never noticed that you had it!"

"You're the first patient I've had out of the 5,000 I've done that's had ANY problems at all!"

"You're just going to have to drive carefully. You know, there are a lot of one-eyed drivers out there."

"Well, those are the breaks."

"Don't ever let anyone else ever touch your eyes again!"

"I'm sorry I can't help you!"

"What exactly do you want me to do for you?"

"I don't have any magic for you. It's not like we can grab a pencil and erase the scars"

Surgeon, frowning over a 20/50 refraction: "I know I CALCULATED it for 20/20."

"Are you always this emotional?"

"We have no idea what your vision will be 1 year post-op."

"Well, it's like this: The operation was a success, but the patient died."
"If I looked up complication in the dictionary, your name would be there."

"I want you to go home and meditate each night that you LIKE your glasses" (After LASIK regression.)
"Headaches? You should see a neurologist."

"It's like I tell my kids, focus on what you can do (SEE), not what you can't."

"Only second to you, did I want your surgery to be a success!"

"We just need a tincture of time."

"We will have to wait for technology to catch up with YOUR problems."

"We have had only one other patient with your complications."

"We have improved our standards of care since your surgery. Oh! We have TWO new lasers now, would you like to SEE them?"

"Just look at the things that you can focus on."

"You're really doing great considering what you've been through."

"So, are you glad you had LASIK?" (After losing vision in one eye)

"You're just very visually aware".

"I like second opinions. Not that it's a matter of ego, but they just confirm what I already know."

"Things might have turned out a lot differently for you if I'd lifted the flap and irrigated.....(he added some other things he could have tried)....Bummer, huh?"

"I feel sorry for you"

"If you wait a few years there will be other options for you"

"We can do more RK surgery" (like I need any more incisions cut into my corneas)

"This is the best we can do for you"

"Too bad you didn't wait for LASIK"

"You and I are seeing each other so much, we might as well be married."

"We've run out of options with you contact lenses"

"Your eyes is great, I dont know why you are saying that you can not see well"

"Go home and enjoy your vision- don't come to my clinic again-everything is ok with you"

"Wait a year or two....we will have a good option for reducing double images and GASH"

"That's what you are saying, that you can not drive at night.....I am not sure it is true"

"I had to quit RK, because previous patients kept bringing lawyers with them for checkups."

"I wouldn't go to him for a second opinion, I wouldn't let him operate on my dog".

"I'll get things right for you no matter what it takes." Said after PRK and A/K, "Now, we could do Lasik and even R/K. I promise to stand by you, and won't quit until you have good vision".
After my A/K enhancement, which was promised to solve my problems......... "Sure HOPE that does it for ya"!

"My policy is no refunds. We get it right no matter how many surgeries it takes!!! Eventually, something will work!"

"I don't know why you are unhappy - I have patients with 5 diopters of astigmatism."

"A blind man would kill you for your vision."

"As you grow older your pupil will shrink and you won't notice the scars".

"You were -9 and -10 diopters. Now you don't have to wear contacts... you've got to look at the total picture..."

"Well you weren't expecting to see that great........were you?"

"YOU'RE the one who signed the consent form."

"Just try not to notice the ghosts."

"Your brain just has to get used to seeing this way."

"Just drive around with your dome light on or have someone else drive."

"I just advised a guy with pupils your size to not have Lasik based on your experience."

"At your age you would have developed dry eyes anyway."

"Your left eye is just 'in sympathy' with your right...you're trying too hard to see and fuzzing things up!"
"Sometimes we can't get all the epithelial ingrowth out." (First time I'd heard that one.)

"Your left flap looks great; not sure why you think you're having dim light, night time/ starbursting problems. I don't see anything."

Me: What is happening to me? Why are the starbursts getting larger?
Surgeon: Give it time, you're "micro-healing".

"I don't feel sorry for you. I have many, many patients who are far worse off than you."

"Car manufacturers seem to be making headlights brighter these days. We have alot of patients complaining about that. They think it has something to do with the surgery, but it's the headlights."

"What I ASKED you to do was to say if you like 'one' or 'two' better! All you have to do is SAY 'one,' or 'two'!
Those are the ONLY right answers! Anything else is JUST WASTING TIME!"

"Now you told me earlier the glasses over that contact seemed better. You're not telling me the truth now!"

'There is no way the laser caused your floaters. Everybody has them they just don't know it. As a matter of fact, I know of this older gentleman who happens to be a trap shooter and, well it's quite funny, his grandchildren makes fun of him when he shoots at imaginary targets, ha ha ha ha'

"Your visual needs must be very high."

"I'm so sorry. This is not what we like to see after LASIK. Your eye must scare the heck out of LASIK surgeons."

"Be glad you're not blind"

"Hang in there."

"You SHOULD be able to see this!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:59 pm 

Aug. 1, 2002
FDA meeting for approval of first wavefront platform

Dr. Michael Grimmett, member of the FDA Ophthalmic Devices Advisory Panel:

Quote:
I just had an observation and would like to hear if you have a comment. You may have none. There may be no answer. I found it curious that despite a very comprehensive analysis and sophisticated technology, that the patients that were unsatisfied or extremely unsatisfied approximated 9 percent. It's notable that the PERK study by comparison, using bear skins and stone knives, had an 11-percent dissatisfaction rate, and I found it curious that one in 10 patients are unsatisfied, despite a phenomenal amount of technology and analysis, and I would like to commend you on a superb analysis and presentation. Do you have a comment why it's still one in 10 despite all the sophisticated technology or is there no answer to that, sir?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next