Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:06 pm 

JCRS
Volume 30, Issue 9, Pages 1823-1824 (September 2004)

LASIK advertising: We should not sell procedures

Steve Arshinoff, FRCSC

Quote:
I read the editorial on advertising in ophthalmology with great interest and wholehearted agreement. The seemingly progressive tendency to irresponsible advertising, particularly of laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK), is becoming an embarrassment to all of us who wish to practice ethical medicine and do no harm to our patients.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Duke LASIK's Alan Carlson "It's imperfect surgery...&qu
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:51 am 

The News & Observer
Laser Eye surgery leaves thousands with problems
September 30, 2007

http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/721249.html

Alan Carlson, MD - Head of the Duke LASIK Center discussing LASIK ...

"It's imperfect surgery in an imperfect world,"

Post subject: Dr. Ken Minarik on John Potter's Feel-Felt-Fine Rule
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:17 pm 

Quoting Dr. Minarik

Quote:
I finally DID get the feel-felt-fine rule just right!

I FEEL that referring patients for refractive surgery is morally wrong, I shared my story with others that FELT the same way, and last night I slept just FINE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:06 am 

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=4061

Physicians discuss malpractice concerns

"Speaking from the audience, Marguerite B. McDonald, M.D., clinical professor of ophthalmology, Tulane University, New Orleans, and in private practice, Lynbrook, N.Y., suggested that physicians provide the essence of what went wrong without providing the exact details of what course of action led to the mistake."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:19 am 

July-August 1995 FDA Consumer

Jeffrey Robin, M.D., Refractive Surgeon

Quote:
Except for the couple of weeks after my RK when I used night driving glasses, I haven't worn glasses since. I've almost forgotten I ever wore them.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/695_rk.html

I wonder if he wears RGPs now.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 am 

Or he may have never had the procedure. What surgeon is going to come out and say that he didn't? Is it all that uncommon... a lying surgeon, and another surgeon that covers it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:55 pm 

Thomas R. Quackenbush, Vision Educator:

Quote:
A primary tenet of orthodox medicine has been never to perform surgery on healthy tissue. It appears this tenet has now changed. Obviously, many people have better acuity soon after these surgeries--but what about the long-term consequences?

Source: Relearning to See

"What concerns me is that if the person informing the patient is themselves poorly or inaccurately informed then how on earth can consent ever be truly informed?" Dr. Sarah Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:39 pm 

Michael Gordon, M.D.

Quote:
A blade is the last thing most people want near their eye, which is why many of the 55 million Americans estimated to be eligible for LASIK still wear glasses or contacts.

Ophthalmology Management, March 2005

"What concerns me is that if the person informing the patient is themselves poorly or inaccurately informed then how on earth can consent ever be truly informed?" Dr. Sarah Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:40 am 

Levinson BA, Rapuano CJ, Cohen EJ, Hammersmith KM, Ayres BD, Laibson PR.
Referrals to the Wills Eye Institute Cornea Service after laser in situ keratomileusis: reasons for patient dissatisfaction.
J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008 Jan;34(1):32-9.

Quote:
Dry eyes and increased glare and halos can be considered functional complications because they are a consequence of the alteration in the corneal nerve plexus and reshaping of the cornea respectively.

Quote:
Most patients were not referred by their LASIK surgeon, and this may represent the reality of co-management. However, it may suggest that some patients become disenchanted with surgeons who state that their results are excellent given the Snellen acuity while the patient remains unhappy with the quality of their vision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:19 pm 

Sounds like it's a worldwide problem:

OSN SuperSite Top Story 2/1/2008
New president of All India Ophthalmological Society calls for reform

Quote:
Almost every president of AIOS in the last 10 years has emphasized the need for a 'moral code of conduct' for our members, but what we observe is the naked dance of greed, materialism, one-upmanship, advertising, false claims and machine pedaling," he said. "In the process, the humane, caring physician has taken a back seat and this noble, divine profession has taken a nosedive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:23 pm 

http://www.escrs.org/PUBLICATIONS/EUROT ... ticein.pdf

Prof David Gartry, first surgeon in the UK to perform PRK:

Quote:
We should always be watchful of safety. These treatments are elective. They are by some definitions and by some observations
cosmetic and will always be criticised for the fact that patients do not need to have refractive surgery in the vast majority of cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:56 am 

http://www.osnsupersite.com/view.asp?rID=28435

Quote:
In an interview with Ocular Surgery News, Chief Medical Editor Richard L. Lindstrom, MD, who was not present at the panel meeting, but who co-chairs the joint LASIK study task force with Dr. Solomon, said, ?The dissatisfied patient is a real concern for the LASIK surgeon, organized ophthalmology as a whole and the industry that supports this procedure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:46 pm 

quote: Louis E. Probst, MD, is Medical Director of TLC The Laser Eye Centers nationwide. He is a consultant to Advanced Medical Optics, Inc., and TLCVision. Dr. Probst may be reached at (608) 249-6000.

"Certain types of patients (including hyperopes, candidates for monovision, wearers of hard contact lenses, and individuals 60 years of age or older) are more likely to require an enhancement after laser vision correction. Although I have not stopped treating such patients, I am more careful about scheduling them for surgery, as the risk of enhancement might be slightly higher. Because these patients are harder to please and are more likely to need an enhancement, they therefore may not promote my practice by word-of-mouth advertising."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8