Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Duke LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD distorted my vision
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:10 pm 

Regrets said:
Quote:
However, it's the close up stuff that looks off...like everything 20 feet away and closer. It's odd, kind of trippy looking. Kinda distorted maybe, but not majorly. Like rectangles kind of look like rhombuses. I don't know. I wish I could explain this better or have someone be able to see through my eyes. It's frustrating.

I recall from your scans that you have high levels of a LASIK-induced higher order aberration known as 'coma'.

This sounds a bit like MY vision after LASIK at Duke University by Dr. Terry Kim, MD. Everything is distorted. Sometimes I take my glasses off so that I don't have to see the distortions so clearly. At first I didn't know if I was better off with or without them. Both were bad. I am more nearsighted now than I was initially, so I wear glasses full time.

I definitely need glasses now to drive, but even in the day, the landscape I see is distorted. Especially in the morning. No pair of glasses ever seems right because of the weird distortion, and I would require a different correction at every level of ambient lighting thanks to Dr. Terry Kim, MD of Duke University Eye Center, who planned on my operative report to create a 2mm pupil size/optical zone mismatch and permanently ruined vision.

Yes - it's right there spelled out on my operative report. I remember the moment that I realized that he planned this vision-ruining surgery ahead. He measured my pupils at 7.5mm (they are actually over 8mm) and then, yes - planned an oval ablation ONLY 5mm wide. Is Dr. Terry Kim, MD insane, you ask? Is Ophthalmologist Dr. Terry Kim, MD willfully destructive to vision? Is Dr. Terry Kim, MD simply not smart enough to understand basic principles of optics? Is Dr. Terry Kim, MD simply too greedy to care about patients?

I wouldn't trust Dr. Terry Kim, MD to perform adequate veterinary Ophthalmology.

Post subject: Duke LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD distorted my vision
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:17 pm 

Here's what happens when a patient with a pupil over 8 mm has a maximum 6.5mm ablation with so-called 'blend' on a VISX S4 laser - the Duke University surgeon, Dr. Terry Kim, MD, who destroyed my vision wrote me a letter stating that he was "pleased with my outcome".

He also kicked me out of the practice. Dr. Terry Kim, MD likely didn't want his colleagues to know he would perform a blatant mutilation such as this to a patients only pair of eyes.

My medical records indicate that Dr. Terry Kim, MD actually PLANNED a surgery with a 2mm pupil size/optical zone mismatch.

Only the dark blue area in the scan is fully corrected. When my pupil expands past the fully corrected area I have visual distortions.

Post subject: Pupil size optical zone issue evaded by Dr. Terry Kim
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:53 am 

It doesn't seem possible to me that Dr. Terry Kim, MD did not know that this surgery was ill-advised as he was planning it as he indicated a 2mm pupil size/optical zone mismatch on my optical report.

When confronted, Dr. Terry Kim, MD then used deceptive language to evade adressing the root of the problem: he said the 'treatment zone' was adequate for the pupil size.

However it is the size of the 'effective optical zone', or fully treated area which must be as large or larger then the fully dark adapted pupil to avoid night vision problems. Partial treatment within the area of the entrance pupil means partial vision correction and a distorted retinal image.

It is Dr. Terry Kim's and every other LASIK surgeon's responsibility to know this fact and to FULLY inform patients of the risks associated with large pupils before surgery. I would be happy to supply images of my ruined vision for some examples of Dr. Terry Kim's destructive power.