Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Add Stephen Brint to the list
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:42 pm 

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... 6_supp.pdf

Quote:
In my practice, no matter which laser I use, I always document that I have measured the size of the patient?s pupil. In today?s medicolegal environment, this step is immensely important, whether it is performed with a Colvard pupillometer (OASIS Medical, Inc., Glendora, CA) or a more sophisticated Procyon infrared pupillometer (Keeler Instruments Inc., Broomall, PA). I personally believe that with the current Wavefront Optimized (WaveLight, Inc., Sterling, VA) and wavefront-guided ablation technologies, pupillary size is a nonissue. Both modalities minimize the induction of spherical aberration. Moreover, Schallhorn et al1 conducted a study in young naval pilots that concluded that night vision problems are unrelated to the pupil?s size. Refractive surgeons used to debate the optimal ablation zone and treatment pattern?optimized versus customized versus conventional ablations and 6.5- versus 7.0-mm treatment zones. The current consensus favors a 6.5-mm treatment zone with either Wavefront Optimized or wavefront-guided technology (to minimize induced spherical aberrations). Holladay et al2 used the Stiles-Crawford effect to explain that even if the effective treatment zone is less than 6.5mm, patients with large pupils do not experience night vision problems as long as the ablation references the wavefront and the zone is at least 6.5mm. The WaveLight ALLEGRETTOWAVE excimer laser (WaveLight, Inc.) features both wavefront-guided and Wavefront Optimized technologies and also delivers a 6.5-mm treatment zone to further prevent unwanted visual symptoms.

I'll bet Schallhorn has been busy flying all over the country to try to squash the pupil size lawsuits. Somebody needs to make Schallhorn use some objective tests instead of his silly little surveys, and make him come clean about his loss to followup, and the fact that he only had one patient with an 8mm pupil to start. What happened to that single 8mm pupil patient???

Isn't it interesting that Brint uses the junk science of Schallhorn to justify his reckless actions, yet ignornes the mountain of scientific peer-reviewed studies going back for over a decade that prove the importance of pupil size. Brint should also see what ACRS, AAO, OMIC, FTC, and the FDA have to say about pupil size. Maybe his insurer will get wind of this and cancel his insurance.

"Moreover" Mr. Brint, Stiles-Crawford affects day vision. Go educate yourself on rods and cones.

I wonder how long it will take before the deception is exposed of surgeons using an aberrometer that is incapable of measuring a large pupil to report post-op aberrations.

What if a weight management doctor used a scale to weigh his patients at the end of the program that only went up to 150 lbs.?

I wonder how much Alphagan Mr. Brint prescribes in his refractive surgery practice.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:43 pm 

I wonder what this patient thinks about Brint's comment that pupil size is a non-issue:

Reported to the FDA:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c ... _ID=697992

I had visx customvue lasik with intralase in 2005. I was convinced, by a dr that i had been seeing for more than ten years, to have the surgery during a routine examination. I had been struggling with contact lenses due to my high astigmatism for years so lasik seemed like the perfect solution. I had heard so many good things about the surgery and i never imagined that my dr would mislead me. My mainifest refraction was: od -0. 25 -4. 25 x 95, os -0. 75 - 3. 25 x70. My vavescan refraction was: od +0. 3. 2 -3. 80 x 98, os -0. 52 -3. 25 x 71. My pupils were measured at 8. 3 mm twice before surgery. I was told that i was a good candidate. I do not feel that the procedure should be approved for a pt with very large pupils and such a high prescription. The computer recorded this info before treatment, however, my physician appearently felt that i was an "excellent candiate. " aside from being a bad candidate i also developed micro striae in both of my flaps which may have been caused by inflammation from the intralase laser. These folds were kept hidden from me despite my constant complaints of ghost imaging and glare. I eventually got a second opinion and underwent flap suturing with another surgeon which made my striae -and symptoms- much worse. At this point my acuity is correctable to 20/20 with glasses but my vision in low light is terrible. I also have severe dry eye after seven months which causes constant burning and discomfort.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:50 am 

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... 407_5q.php

You performed the first LASIK procedure in the US. What was going through your mind as you operated?

Quote:
Due to my relative inexperience with the microkeratome, my initial reaction was fear.

Quote:
Over time, we surgeons have encountered some unanticipated problems with this procedure. Ectasia is the most significant and least understood complication associated with LASIK.

Quote:
We did not even think about the possibility of LASIK's causing dry eye until this problem began appearing. We compensated by playing "catch up" at first, but now we pretreat patients more aggressively with cyclosporine, punctal plugs, artificial tears, and nutritional supplements to minimize post-LASIK dry eye.

What motivates you to participate in live cataract and refractive surgery symposia?

Quote:
Performing live surgery can be very exciting. I like traveling to different places and getting to know other surgeons. These events also give me the opportunity to teach new surgical techniques as well as to learn from my colleagues. Finally, I enjoy the challenge of operating in such a dynamic environment. Live surgeries always have a certain element of "the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat."