Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Who performed the first LASIK in the US?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:00 am 

This information was obtained from Dr. Kremer's website:

http://www.kremer-laser.com/

A Kremer surgeon performed the first LASIK surgery in North America in 1993.

In 1980, ophthalmic surgeon Frederic B. Kremer, M.D., founded the first refractive eye surgery center in the United States. Dr. Kremer is internationally recognized as a pioneer in the field of advanced eye surgery procedures.

Today, Dr. Kremer leads one of the world's most experienced group of laser vision surgeons. Since 1993, Kremer surgeons have performed over 50,000 LASIK procedures, and the FDA has issued a report describing the "safety and effectiveness" of the Kremer Excimer Laser, the first FDA-approved laser for LASIK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:24 am 

Dr. Stephen Slade claims to have performed the first LASIK in the U.S.

So I guess you could say he's been doing permanent damage to corneas longer than anyone else in the U.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:58 pm 

Or should we give credit to Marguerite McDonald, MD ("All the boats in the harbor" quote):

http://www.refractiveeyecare.com/Sept05 ... Donald.htm

"As the world of refractive surgery continues to evolve and move in new directions, it helps to gain perspective on what is happening and about to happen. For this we often turn to Marguerite McDonald, MD, FACS, who was the first in the world to perform excimer laser surgery on a human eye in 1987 and the first in the US to perform wavefront-guided excimer laser surgery. "

"What concerns me is that if the person informing the patient is themselves poorly or inaccurately informed then how on earth can consent ever be truly informed?" Dr. Sarah Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm 

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... edpage.php

Picking a Winner
Stephen G. Slade, MD, Chief Medical Editor

Quote:
Stephen Brint, MD, and I were the first to perform LASIK in the US. He tried the procedure because he trusted Lucio Buratto, MD. I participated because I trusted Steve.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:55 am 

http://www.crstoday.com/PDF%20Articles/ ... 407_5q.php

Dr. Brint shares his experience as a LASIK pioneer and looks ahead to new refractive technologies.

You performed the first LASIK procedure in the US. What was going through your mind as you operated?

Quote:
Due to my relative inexperience with the microkeratome, my initial reaction was fear. Nevertheless, I knew that Lucio Buratto, MD, had achieved good outcomes in Milan, Italy, so I had similar expectations for my patient. I do not think any of the investigators in the Summit Technology High Myopia Study group, which included Daniel S. Durrie, MD; Michael Gordon, MD; Stephen G. Slade, MD; George O. Waring, MD, and me, imagined that LASIK would become the dominant refractive procedure in the US. As with today's phakic IOLs, we all thought LASIK would probably be a niche procedure.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato