Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Refractive surgery on disabled children
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:56 pm 

http://www.eyeworld.org/ewweek.php?id=454#4

Pediatric ophthalmologist devises refractive technique to treat disabled children

Lawrence Tychsen, M.D., professor of ophthalmology and visual sciences and ophthalmologist-in-chief at St. Louis Children?s Hospital, St. Louis, developed specialized testing and now does refractive surgery on children with cerebral palsy, Down syndrome and neurobehavioral disorders such as autism. About 80% of children with severe neurological disorders have some kind of vision impairment, and about 10% have a severe impairment, according to a Washington University School of Medicine news release. Tychsen and his staff perform LASEK, which is safer for children, who will inevitably rub their eyes after surgery. Because many of the children Tychsen treats are unable to communicate clearly or are uncooperative, he and his team use several noninvasive, electronic techniques to measure eyesight and determine the success of surgery. A computer-recording method measures the improvements that can be achieved in the visual brain while the child is awake. Other instruments take precise measurements before surgery while a child is under anesthesia. Although the surgeries can make significant improvements in the child?s vision and overall quality of life, most laser-treated children will see mild regression in their vision over time and about 10% require repeat surgery.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:29 pm 

these are the perfect victims, because they cant speak effectively (or at all) on their own behalf.

then again, i guess even if they could they couldn't find an expert witness. and then again, i guess we were experimented on with impunity too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:40 am 

"Because many of the children Tychsen treats are unable to communicate clearly or are uncooperative, he and his team use several noninvasive, electronic techniques to measure eyesight and determine the success of surgery."

A member of my family is afflicted with Down's syndrome and I couldn't imagine a doctor taking a laser to her precious eyes. If a disabled child is unable to communicate effectively and/or is uncooperative, how can he convey to the doctor that he's experiencing pain, double vision, blurry vision, dry eye, loss of contrast, sees halos, starbursts, glare, etc...? I hope this doctor will report if any of these children require additional surgery, a corneal transplant, contacts, medication, punctal plugs or cauterization for dry eye, etc... if their objective test results reveal their surgery was unsuccessful.

Last edited by kaleyedoscope on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:03 am 

i dont think any surgeon will be reporting problems. ask around enough and you can find real patients who were excluded from studies submitted to the fda. the guy at lasiksucks4u.com once had on his site that he was dropped from a study conducted by his surgeon that was submitted to the fda. email him and get the details if youre curious

hes the only one who ever went public though. not that it matters. most of the fda lasik corruption is out in plain sight anyway, like how casebeers company decided not to investigate pupil size in the original studies.

Post subject: This cant be true nor legal!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:21 am 

I thought it was illegal to perform lasik on patients under 18! Children's prescriptions arent stable, another reason lasik is contradictive! Why cant they just give those children glasses? :roll: :?:

Post subject: Re: This cant be true nor legal!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:02 am 

avoidlasik wrote:
I thought it was illegal to perform lasik on patients under 18!

Not illegal, but not FDA approved. I believe the age requirement for most lasers is 21. Lots of patients have been treated "off-label". My own sister was treated off-label but not informed her treatment was not FDA approved. :roll:

As if "FDA approved" really means anything... :roll: My surgery was FDA approved and it was a disaster. What do you expect when you have refractive surgeons sitting on the Ophthalmic Devices Panel? Talk about a conflict of interest!!! The FDA wants their 'expert' input in reviewing the clinical trials, yet the refractive surgeons have a financial interest in the advancement of LASIK! :roll:

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:42 pm 

Quote:
yet the refractive surgeons have a financial interest in the advancement of LASIK!

BE, are you referring to the surgeons who are paid consultants and/or receive research and travel support from the manufacturers of the lasers? Where can a patient find information to learn if their doctor has a vested interest? Is it considered unethical or immoral if they don't disclose this information to their patients?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:05 am 

kaleyedoscope wrote:
Quote:
yet the refractive surgeons have a financial interest in the advancement of LASIK!

BE, are you referring to the surgeons who are paid consultants and/or receive research and travel support from the manufacturers of the lasers? Where can a patient find information to learn if their doctor has a vested interest? Is it considered unethical or immoral if they don't disclose this information to their patients?

I'm talking about the FDA Ophthalmic Devices Panel members. Some of them are/were refractive surgeons. They make recommendations to the FDA to approve, or not approve, lasers for LASIK. The panel members are required to disclose any conflicts of interest, such as being a paid consultant for the company that is seeking approval.

To answer your other question, a good place to learn if a surgeon is a paid consultant for a laser manufacturer is to do a search on his name on EyeWorld. You may have to scan through several articles, but you can usually find what you're looking for. See, I found this on the first try...

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=1805
Editors' note: Manche has no financial interest in the technology in this article. Maloney is a VISX consultant. Salz is an Alcon consultant.

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=3079

Editors? note: Dr. Durrie has performed clinical research for IntraLase Corp. Dr. Maloney is a consultant for Bausch & Lomb.

I don't know whether it's unethical or immoral to not disclose being a consultant for a laser manufacturer to patients. But there's certainly a conflict of interest when discussing with a patient the benefits of one technology over another -- whether they are a paid consultant or just happen to own (or use) one machine and not the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:43 pm 

http://www.eyeworld.org/article.php?sid=3573

?You?re typically deliberately overcorrecting them because children have more regression after refractive surgery than adults,? he said. ?You?re also using a different surgical technique because these children will rub their eyes after surgery.?

"When it comes to pain management Dr. Tychsen finds that many of the children tolerate the discomfort of the procedure well."

?They?re living in this cocoon of blur and that exacerbates their anxiety or their fearfulness, or their reluctance to interact with people and objects in their environment,? he said.

Post subject: My cocoon of blur was surgically induced by LASIK
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:55 pm 

And yes, living in an uncorrectable cocoon of blur does cause some anxiety. They make glasses with elastic bands that will stay on kids heads - why would they need laser eye surgery? This is a vulgar abuse of a defenseless population.

Keeping kids in glasses with an eleastic band behind the head is much kinder than blasting away their corneas. If children's eyes do regress more after surgery than adult eyes this should be a warning sign... likely their corneas are weaker and bulging more. Doesn't it seem like a bad idea to make their corneas thin with laser surgery? Do they intend to keep peforming more surgeries each time the child's vision changes? Damaging more of the child's corneal nerves? Thinning the child's corneas even more? Inducing more higher order aberrations in the child's corneas?

But hey... this is a corenal refractive surgeon's opportunity to rake in some cash while looking like a hero to those who don't know better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:26 pm 

This is terrifying, not only is there a risk of regression/progression. They will not be able to complain of any symptoms that are due to high order aberrations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:40 pm 

I just saw this for the first time just now, and reading this brought tears to my eyes. I cannot believe they would do this to children! It is so frustrating for children with disabilities as is. It can be very frustrating for children that can?t speak or communicate to just go about with day-to-day activity. What if you?re hungry and you can?t tell mom, ?Hey, I?m hungry.? Or, ?I?ve got an itch that I can?t reach.? Or, ?I need to use the bathroom.? Imagine having extreme eye pain, or not being able to see well, and not being able to say anything about it. This is absolutely disgusting. This is just a straight forward, ?Lets experiment on children who can?t speak for themselves because they can?t argue or say anything negative afterwards.? And I don?t care what kind of eye SURGERY you do on them, PRK or LASEK, or whatever. It?s SURGERY, and it would be terrible if the child rubbed their eyes afterwards, and that?s another huge risk in addition to the surgery itself.

?Because many of the children Tychsen treats are unable to communicate clearly or are uncooperative, he and his team use several noninvasive, electronic techniques to measure eyesight and determine the success of surgery. A computer-recording method measures the improvements that can be achieved in the visual brain while the child is awake. Other instruments take precise measurements before surgery while a child is under anesthesia.?

These instruments are precise, huh? I wonder if these instruments are as precise as the lasers that are used to accidentally misshape people?s corneas all the time. I had custom wavefront, which was SUPPOSED to be precise. You?ve got astigmatism now! Whoops! I wonder if these ?precise? techniques would also call my surgery a success if they were used on me.

?They?re living in this cocoon of blur and that exacerbates their anxiety or their fearfulness, or their reluctance to interact with people and objects in their environment.?

This just sounds like a gross sales pitch to desperate parents of children with special needs. I wonder if they seriously hint to parents, ?Hey, LASEK or PRK may help to cure your child of Autism (or fill in the blank with something else).? Because that?s what it kind of sounds like to me, without actually saying it straight forward.

Post subject: This is really SICK!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:36 pm 

I'm sorry to say, but I hope that surgeons like these contract some horrible, painful disease for what they are doing to people!