Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Night vision disturbances after LASIK
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:21 pm 

Journal of Refractive Surgery Vol. 22 No. 7 September 2006

Bilateral Comparison of Conventional Versus Topographic-guided Customized Ablation for Myopic LASIK With the NIDEK EC-5000

Chi-xin Du, MD; Ya-bo Yang, MD; Ye Shen, MD; Yang Wang; Paul J. Dougherty, MD

From the full text:

"As many as 30% of patients who undergo LASIK experience night vision problems such as glare and halo".

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:30 pm 

yeah, it's okay, those 30% are only human beings. it's not like lasik doctors bother to care about them. even if 30% of the patients died they'd never admit there was a problem. the patient could be sitting in the chair dead and the doctor would write "doing fine" in the chart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:28 pm 

LasikTragedy, you reminded me of this:

Quote:
I have been helping another man who was considering a retreatment. He had lasik a little over a year ago and was never thrilled with his results, but overall considered himself a success because he hasn't had to wear glasses. His eyes are a little dry -- but hey, he had LASIK, right?!?! I gave him a list of things to ask when he went in to discuss a retreatment and a list of tests that needed to be performed. I told him to get all his records and bring everything to me to review prior to his making a decision about a retreatment. I reviewed his records. Turns out the guy is blessed because he has very small pupils. He was a low hyperope. After lasik he said his left eye was never good. All through his post-op records the OD recorded "doing well", even though he was complaining about the left eye. Well it was easy for me to see what happened to the left eye. They induced a diopter of cylinder and the treatment is quite decentered, despite the use of an eye tracker. Did they ever bother to mention any of this to him? Of course not.. He asked me what he should do. I told him he has plenty of tissue for a retreatment, but I would never recommend it. I looked at his current refraction (he has regressed a little and has the 1D induced cylinder) and said "Please, just go get some glasses. The glasses will help you", and his reply was along the lines of "I didn't have lasik just to end up wearing glasses again!"

"doing well"...

Those words sum up the victimization of patients. No matter how bad the situation, the doctor writes it off, dismisses it. I have seen these words in a patient chart before. A few months ago I reviewed the files of another LASIK casualty. Her pre-op records show she had lattice degeneration, a retinal disease. The doctor knew it and did lasik on her anyway. Within a few weeks her retinas detached. She had several subsequent surgeries to repair the retinas, but they kept detaching. During all of her lasik post-op exams, the doctor recorded in her chart "patient doing well", even though she was complaining of poor vision and a shower of floaters. I could not believe my eyes.... "patient doing well".... with retinal detachment due to his gross negligence! "patient doing well". Those words are haunting to me.... the mindset of these criminals that do this to people. It makes me physically sick and torments my soul.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Re: Night vision disturbances after LASIK
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:24 am 

Broken Eyes wrote:
Journal of Refractive Surgery Vol. 22 No. 7 September 2006

Bilateral Comparison of Conventional Versus Topographic-guided Customized Ablation for Myopic LASIK With the NIDEK EC-5000

Chi-xin Du, MD; Ya-bo Yang, MD; Ye Shen, MD; Yang Wang; Paul J. Dougherty, MD

From the full text:

"As many as 30% of patients who undergo LASIK experience night vision problems such as glare and halo".

Actually, its more like 70-90% experiencing decreased night vision. Those with pupils bigger than the laser optical zone are vitrually guaranteed to see poorly at night. They say 30% because most of them are in denial or think its not a "big deal" :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:44 pm 

J Cataract Refract Surg. 2006 Feb;32(2):255-60.

Pupil measurement using the Colvard pupillometer and a standard pupil card with a cobalt blue filter penlight.

Chaglasian EL, Akbar S, Probst LE.

Excerpt:

Chaidaroon and Juwattanasomran conclude that night-vision disturbances are often preventable, especially if patients with higher amount of myopia are accurately identified as having a large scotopic pupil. Newer wavefront technologies demonstrate that spherical and coma aberrations increase with increasing pupil size. Smaller pupils are associated with improved visual acuity in patients after refractive surgery and in untreated patients. Night-vision disturbances have been reported in 25% of 35% of patients after photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) and LASIK using a 6.0 mm ablation zone and in 65.6% of patients treated with a 5.0 mm ablation zone in PRK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:34 am 

Lasik is a very bad idea period but this goes especially for myopes higher than about -8 to -10. They risk more and lose more vision after lasik. Many of them still wear a thin pair of glasses due to regression and have damaged eyes to boot. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:00 pm 

Topography-guided CATz Versus Conventional LASIK for Myopia With the NIDEK EC-5000: A Bilateral Eye Study

Journal of Refractive Surgery Vol. 22 No. 8 October 2006

Mansoor A. Farooqui, FRCSEd; Abdul Rahman Al-Muammar, MD, FRCSC

Quote:
Night vision complaints such as glare, halos, and difficulty in driving at night have been reported in 16% to 40% of patients after LASIK surgery. In a survey of patients dissatisfied with refractive surgery results, 43.5% reported glare and night vision disturbance as the reason for their dissatisfaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:28 am 

Br J Ophthalmol. 2007 Feb 21; [Epub ahead of print]

Night Vision Disturbances after Successful LASIK Surgery.

Villa Collar C, Gutierrez R, Jimenez JR, Gonzalez-Meijome JM.
Clinica Oftalmologica Novovision, Spain.

Quote:
According to their description, NVD include glare disability, decrease in visual contrast sensibility and image degradation. In a retrospective study, Jabbur et al, documented NVD as a leading cause of complaint for patients undergoing different refractive surgical procedures, with 43.5% of patients having such difficulties.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:31 pm 

J Cataract Refract Surg. 2003 Jun;29(6):1152-8.

Six-year follow-up of laser in situ keratomileusis for moderate and extreme myopia using a first-generation excimer laser and microkeratome.

Sekundo W, B?nicke K, Mattausch P, Wiegand W.
Department of Ophthalmology, Philipps-University Marburg, Germany. sekundo@med.uni-marburg.de

PURPOSE: To evaluate objectively and subjectively the long-term outcome of laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) in patients with high and very high myopia.

SETTING: Department of Ophthalmology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany. METHODS: Thirty-three eyes of 19 patients were followed for a mean of 76 months (range 50 to 84 months) after primary LASIK using the Keratom I excimer laser (Schwind) and the ALK microkeratome (Chiron). Refraction, glare, pachymetry, corneal topography, and tear-film secretion and stability were measured. At the last examination, patients also answered a 14-item questionnaire.

RESULTS: Preoperatively, the mean spherical equivalent was -13.65 diopters (D). At 1 year, it was -0.25 D and after 6 years, -0.88 D. Fifteen percent of eyes lost > or =2 lines of best spectacle-corrected visual acuity (BSCVA), and 9% gained > or =2 Snellen lines. At the end of the study, 46% of eyes were within +/-1.0 D of the attempted corrected and 88% were within +/-3.0 D. There were 5 microkeratome-associated complications; 3 resulted in loss of BSCVA. The latest pachymetry showed a mean corneal thickness of 498.5 microm (range 396 to 552 microm). There were no cases of keratectasia. Seventy-five percent of patients noted an increase in their quality of life. Seventy-one percent were satisfied with their postoperative visual acuity; however, 75% noticed glare and halos at night.

CONCLUSIONS: Laser in situ keratomileusis correction of very high myopia did not cause keratectasia in the long term provided the corneal thickness was respected. A flap thickness setting of 130 microm with a first-generation microkeratome resulted in a high number of cut failures. Most patients were happy with the results despite a modest level of accuracy and glare.

From the full text:

Quote:
On a scale of 0 to 10 for current satisfaction with one?s visual acuity, the mean score was 5.7. Scores from 0 to 4 were considered ?being unhappy?; 29% of patients were not happy with their UCVA. This percentage was smaller than that immediately after surgery, 35%. Eighty-one percent noticed an improvement in their UCVA after surgery as opposed to the time before LASIK. Twenty-eight percent of patients described their BSCVA as ?worse than before surgery? and 72%, as better or unchanged. The preoperative refraction of patients who were dissatisfied with their BSCVA was ?12.0 D.

Quote:
There were no microkeratome-associated complications in this group; however, 2 eyes of the same patient developed severe dry-eye disease and peripheral epithelial ingrowths and 2 eyes had decentrations of 1.5 mm and 2.0 mm. After almost 7 years, 75% continued to complain of ghosting images and/or halos. Patients who graded their halos between 8 and 10 also felt a decline in their BSCVA (see above) and had irregular flaps due to cut failures or a preoperative refraction greater than ?15.0 D. However, 81% of all patients questioned said they would recommend the surgery to friends and would have the surgery again.

Quote:
Our study highlights the problems of quality of vision. Often, Snellen acuity, particularly after enhancements, is given as a measure of success.11, 12 Nevertheless, 75% of our patients have glare at night, with the worst symptoms in patients who had decentrations, cut problems, or treatments over ?15.0 D with subsequent flat corneas down to 32.5 D in 1 extreme case. Our decentration rate of >0.5 mm was 15%. This relatively high number can be the result of using retrobulbar anesthesia and pilocarpine in contrast to patient self-fixation supported by the eye-tracker technology of modern lasers. Objectively, virtually all patients in this study had poor mesopic vision. Moreover, our study leaves no doubts that this problem continues to persist in the long term and possibly forever.

Quote:
A question still to be answered is why 81% of patients appeared to be quite happy with the overall results when all of them had poor night vision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:29 am 

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1810384

J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2007 March; 8(3): 177?180.

Comparison of high order aberration after conventional and customized ablation in myopic LASIK in different eyes of the same patient

Chi-xin Du,? Ye Shen,?? and Yang Wang

Quote:
It is well known that up to 30% of patients experience night vision problems after LASIK such as glare and halo, decreased contrast sensitivity, and poor subjective vision despite excellent objective uncorrected visual acuity (UCVA).