Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Chronic dry eye and regression after LASIK
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:23 am 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... query_hl=1

J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004 Mar;30(3):675-84.

Chronic dry eye and regression after laser in situ keratomileusis for myopia.

Albietz JM, Lenton LM, McLennan SG.

Centre for Eye Research, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, Australia. julie@darkoptics.com.au

PURPOSE: To examine the relationship between chronic dry eye and refractive regression after laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK) for myopia.

SETTING: Excimer Laser Vision Centre and Centre for Eye Research, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia.

METHODS: This study was based on a retrospective analysis of a clinical database and a case study series. Data (N = 565 eyes) were collected before and after (2 weeks and 1, 3, 6, and 12 months) LASIK. Three case studies, which highlight appropriate management strategies for LASIK candidates with dry eye, are presented.

RESULTS: Regression after LASIK was related to chronic dry eye. It occurred in 12 (27%) of 45 patients with chronic dry eye and in 34 (7%) of 520 patients without (P<.0001). Patients with chronic dry eye had significantly worse myopic outcomes than those without (1 month, P =.02; 3 months, P =.01; 6 months, P =.004; 12 months, P =.008). The risk for chronic dry eye was significantly associated with female sex, higher attempted refractive correction, greater ablation depth, and the following pre-LASIK variables: increased ocular surface staining; lower tear volume, tear stability, and corneal sensation; and dry-eye symptoms before LASIK. The risk for regression was significantly associated with higher attempted refractive correction, greater ablation depth, and dry-eye symptoms after LASIK. Case studies demonstrated that intensive dry-eye treatment may improve the refractive outcome and alleviate the need for enhancement surgery.

CONCLUSION: The risk for refractive regression after LASIK was increased in patients with chronic dry eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:46 pm 

When I read thes articles I feel so sad. I have terrible dry eye!!! I am really hoping for a cure.

My miopia correction was for 6.5 in both eyes. Never had dry eyes before until I had lasik!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:12 pm 

Effect of Punctal Plugs in Patients With Low Refractive Errors Considering Refractive Surgery

Journal of Refractive Surgery Vol. 23 No. 5 May 2007

Monica B. Khalil, MD; Robert A. Latkany, MD; Mark G. Speaker, MD, PhD; Guopei Yu, MD, MPH

Quote:
A significant risk for refractive regression in chronic dry eye patients was also found. The underlying etiology is thought to be due to epithelial hyperplasia secondary to increased epithelial growth after LASIK, as well as keratocyte apoptosis caused by inflammatory cytokines with ocular surface disease.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: cause & effect
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:12 pm 

I always wonder about the causation. There does seem to be anecdotally a correlation between chronic dry eye and regression, but it's always been a question mark for me as to the causation...does the dry eye cause regression, or could it well be that biomechanical shifts associated with regression leave one vulnerable to epithelial defects perceived as dry eye?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:47 pm 

I think what's happening is the dry eye causes epithelial thickening, and it's the thickening that results in regression. The only other type of regression is from forward bulging of the cornea in response to the biomechanical weakening effect of cutting a flap and ablating tissue.

It's a chain reaction. LASIK severs the nerves, the loss of sensation and reduced tearing response causes the dry eye which causes the inflammation and erosions, the body responds with epithelial thickening (to protect the cornea?), and the steepening effect of the thickened epithelial layer changes the refraction.

But what do I know, I'm not a "LASIK doctor". :roll:

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato