Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: was LVI run by the mob?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:01 am 

i heard this rumor but i don't know if its true or not. something about the musa family running LVI.

ive always wondered if organized crime was behind lasik.

Post subject: Never heard that rumor!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:23 am 

I thought organized crime groups specialized in illegal activities. Astonishingly, corneal refractive surgery is legal. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:15 am 

i used to share a gym with a retired leg-breaker, a "debt counselor" for various East Coast Mafia families. also a retired full-contact boxer.

he was very honest, he had done his (jail) time and had nothing to hide. well, i take that back, i think there were some things he didn't talk about.

a much more honest person in his present life than any of the LASIK surgeons or co-managing optometrists i have met.

Post subject: This is a very touchy issue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:05 am 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

This is a very difficult issue discuss, as most of us like our kneecaps just as they are. So, this discussion is not about a particular family of brothers that owned LVI and still own Eyeglass World and have been sued by the State Attorney General in Florida and Illinois for fraud. Not about those guys at all.
Speaking in very general terms, organized crime has been known to like any type of business in which large amounts of cash can be collected without a paper trail of receipts. This money collected from legitimate businesses can be used to hide illicit activities such as drug trafficking and extorsion. Hence, the term "money laundering". The restaurant business has been a front for many organized crime families over the years, as it results in a lot of cash transactions.

When you look at LASIK as a candidate for money laundering, it certainly beats the hell out of restaurants. Transactions are virtually always "self pays" since insurance doesn't pay for it, and the average transaction is around 1400 to 1600 dollars. When a certain chain of LASIK providers was investigated by the US Attorney's Office in Florida, it was noted that a number of employees were being encouraged to talk all patients into paying with cash. As a matter of fact, patients were offered a 2 to 3 hundred dollar discount on their total bill if they went to the ATM and brought cash for their procedure, instead of paying for it with a traceable credit card.

If "crime" is involved in LASIK, it is not in the business of hurting patients with bad surgeries. The interest that organized crime would have in LASIK is all about that great cash flow.

I'll stop talking now. I'm hearing footsteps. Shhhhhh! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:00 am 

dr. minarik, thank you for having the courage to address this issue.