Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Your stories sound so familiar, I wish they didnt.....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:52 am 

Hello,

I am new to this board.....wish I wasnt, no offense to you fine folks...just wish I could go back in time and take back the Lasik I had done. I dont even know what to say anymore. I'm so hurt, angry, sad, depressed.....I sink a little deeper each day. I only had my Lasik done 2 months ago, but my life has been in the toilet ever since. I know my eyes are still healing, but if I hear that what I'm experiencing is normal one more time from my "doctor" if you can call them that, I'm going to lose it. I'm trying to be patient and wait it out the "required" 3 months to see if there are any changes, but so far...nothing. I havent driven at night since the day before I had my surgery....why? Oh, because I'm almost completely blind at night. All I can see is darkness and blurry lights, nothing else. I dont see the cars parked on the side of the road, I cant tell if there is something 5 feet in front of me when I'm in the car....on the passenger side of course.

If only I could back to the crisp vision I had with glasses and contacts. Yes, contacts and glasses were a pain for me, but much less of a pain this Lasik is. I traded one pain, for an even larger, life ruining one. I've put it out there on my blog, myspace, emailed my friends, begging them all to never have this surgery. I just wish I had found this place before my surgery.

The clinic I went to has been listed on this forum, I checked around a bit. There isnt a lot on it, but a few things. They are no help to me at all. I cant even get a few minutes of their time. I dont even know what to do anymore.

Why did I do this? That is the question I will ask myself every day for the rest of my life. Misery loves company, so I'm sure I'll be around on this board a bit.

Post subject: Re: Your stories sound so familiar, I wish they didnt.....
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:56 pm 

Welcome :(

Your vision sounds alot like mine. But I have a question... do you have any refractive error now? If so, you will definitely need to get some glasses to reduce some of this night-time garbage. Even if your refractive error is very small, glasses will help. I wouldn't be able to walk down the street at night without glasses. Unfortunately, glasses only get me from point A to point B and do nothing to eliminate the massive visual aberrations and loss of detail.

I may not be able to offer you any real solutions, but I am living proof that a person can learn to live with this disability. Unfortunately everyone has to go through the process of grieving, and it does take some time.

Take care,
BE

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:14 pm 

Thanks for the information at least. It's good to know I may have options. Not even 30 years old yet and my vision already this bad, and I did it to myself...that is the kicker of it all.

I'll be looking into something to help me in the dark because soon I will have a much longer commute and have to leave when it's dark and I'm very anxious and stressed about it and I dont want to be. I have a follow up appt this Friday and my husband is coming with me this time with his former marine attitude in tow. I've had it with them. Most likely wont do me any good, but I've written down every interaction I've had with them, every phone call I've made, everything....I've requested color copies of my medical records...so we'll see where it goes from here.

It's nice to know I have some where to go in the mean time to be around people who can relate to what I'm going through.

I appreciate your advice and support!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:05 pm 

NorCalMrs,

A lot of us are in the same boat, unfortunately. I am almost 3 months post-LASIK, am suffering anxiety and depression, and I'm seeing a therapist to help me deal with the emotional and physical trauma. I was on a couple of different antidepressants for a very short time, but they made me worse, so now I just try to reach out and talk about my situation to as many people as I can. I find that talking in this way is very effective -- much better than medication.

For what it's worth, I also find that constantly thinking about the decision to do LASIK, as well as replaying the "what if" scenario is highly counterproductive and does not help the psyche or the healing process. Nature can do amazing things post-trauma and so it's very important to concentrate positively on healng. I would also suggest that you do not read too many horror stories on the Internet. The deed is done already and reading these accounts may hinder your healing process, get you more depressed, and start you worrying about future implications. Heal first.

I was thinking about starting a phone support group because I find talking so therapeutic.

Let me know if you are interested in sharing phone numbers and, if you feel the same way, then perhaps we can talk.

Also, if anyone else is interested in sharing phone numbers and talking, let me know. Maybe we can get a network going.

I think we can send private messages, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:55 am 

You may also PM me for further discussion, I can offer emotional support. Again sorry for your lasik experience. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:59 pm 

For me, there's a part of me that knows it would be much easier to put it out of my mind and go on. I don't mean just the deception, but also the bad vision. I could do it...I could censor my own thoughts, I could choose "not to dwell on it," call it what you will.

I guess I'd just rather "have a me" that is occasionally riddled by anxiety and depression. Doesn't matter how mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful I could make my own internal world, there would always be a part of me that would know that such happiness was based on half truths I'd told myself to ignore reality, half truths like "i had a good doctor and this was just a random event" or "refractive surgery is based on good science i was just unlucky." That's what the industry wants us to believe, but the evidence otherwise is overwhelming, scientifically and unfortunately, emotionally, too.

So that's how the world is and I'll just have to deal with it. Okay, Casebeer probably faked his data in the FDA protocols that got Lasik approved. Okay, Alcon lied to both refractive surgeons and patients and thousands of people were injured. Okay, so lots of MDs are injured and not one of them is willing to speak out. That's bad news, and it says terrible things about human nature, but I'm not going to kill myself over it.

I'm also not going to lie to myself and pretend it didn't happen when it did. So I accept some anxiety and depression, but I remain true to myself and to what really happened. I'll take those mornings where it's hard to get out of bed because I just heard another story where the patients doctor lied to him the same way my doctor lied to me. I'll just have to get tougher, I'll just have to reach down deep in my soul and find my values and go forward.

And one thing I definitely will not do is blame myself. I know a lot of people do. But the fact is, we thought they were doctors in the true sense of the word, not entrepeneurs. They've got a thousand ways of minimizing the risks and talking up the positives, including forging their data and publishing bogus science. You don't expect to have to look at such things going in. You don't have to expect to actually have to develop the depth of knowledge of a doctor in order to understand the deception involved. You expect people to be honest. I didn't know they were used car salesmen in white coats.

So there's just no way I'll make it my fault when I know it wasn't. I guess I could say "Hey, I didn't look into the risks as much as I should have." I could make my outcome a problem with me, and I guess in the future my world would be more predictable because I would know not to repeat my "mistake" of trusting anybody. But the fact is that I did my homework, didn't rush into anything, and sought multiple opinions from multiple surgeons. It still left me visually handi-capped. So there's no point in bullshitting myself about not having checked into it enough. The future is just more unpredictable than I'd like it to be, and I'll just have to live with that, too.

You can be a victim or you can be a warrior or you can just be honest with yourself. The worst of the three is a victim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:26 pm 

Well said!!!

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:33 am 

I had LASIK ten years ago, the early days of refractive surgery in this country. It ruined my night vision. As a result I couldn't drive after sundown and my ability to earn a living suffered. Ten years later I'm still looking for something to fix what happened to me.

I know from lurking on several of these webs that there are a lot of people unhappy with their result. The majority of these people post a lot at first then disappear after 3 or 6 months. I assume they've either gotten the vision they expected or have come to terms with their visual deficits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:53 pm 

kevin wrote:
I had LASIK ten years ago, the early days of refractive surgery in this country. It ruined my night vision. As a result I couldn't drive after sundown and my ability to earn a living suffered. Ten years later I'm still looking for something to fix what happened to me.

Hi Kevin,

Have you tried a new contact lens called SynergEyes? After nearly six years and multiple failures with various hard contact lens designs, I am successfully wearing SynergEyes lenses. I do have some comfort issues, mainly related to dryness, but I put up with it because I have such a huge improvement in my night vision with these lenses.

kevin wrote:
I know from lurking on several of these webs that there are a lot of people unhappy with their result. The majority of these people post a lot at first then disappear after 3 or 6 months. I assume they've either gotten the vision they expected or have come to terms with their visual deficits.

Regarding your observation that people disappear after 3 or 6 months, I have a couple of theories about that. First, there truly are some issues in the early post-op period that resolve during the healing course. Secondly, patients do get used to some minor visual disturbances -- call it brain plasticity or whatever -- as long as the disturbances are minor patients tend to forget the crisp, sharp vision they had before surgery. I also think some people just give up searching for a fix and move on after awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:37 pm 

I have an appointment next week to see about Synergeyes lenses. After 10 years of failed experiments, I'm irresolutely hopefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:35 am 

Kevin, please let us know how it goes with the SynergEyes fitting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 pm 

Yes,please report.I tried the synergeyes regular lenses which didn't work out but i believe now that they have a new type called PS or post surgery.Let us know if which one you are using.
I just picked my RGP scleral lenses back up an hour ago from an adjustment at the lap.One was riding hard on the rim,feeling like it was cutting into my eye.The other was a prescription change as my prescription keeps moving and we keep chasing it. :roll: My eyes seem to be dry still.Even during the few days with no lenses,the burning dry eyes continued.
These are not macrolenses but similar.
Best of luck Kevin! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:18 am 

lasick wrote:
I tried the synergeyes regular lenses which didn't work out but i believe now that they have a new type called PS or post surgery.Let us know if which one you are using.

Same here. I think the new PS type is a better bet.

Here's my view on synereyes lenses.
http://thelasikflap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3447#3447

Post subject: I also plan to try SynergEyes PS
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:32 am 

The release of the new lenses is just a few days away.... supposedly.
Wonder if they come with built-in bifocals or if I will have to wear glasses over contact lenses.

Oh the sick absurdity of corneal refractive surgery. Living with LASIK is like trying to survive in a 'FAR SIDE' cartoon. The whole LASIK industry/FDA/surgeon conspiracy is so disturbingly unreal.

Kevin, any news on your lenses... hopfully good news???

Post subject: Re: I also plan to try SynergEyes PS
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:00 pm 

Eye wrote:
Wonder if they come with built-in bifocals or if I will have to wear glasses over contact lenses.

You want more multifocality than you have already????

With readers over contacts at least you can adjust your gaze so that you only see through the readers or only see through the contacts.