Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fast deterioration or slow?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:27 pm 

I had correction on August 24, 2004. I'm not a buff on how poor my vision was before but I know that I was near-sighted and had needed glasses for 8 years. Now, two years later my eyes are deteriorating. I'm hating the whole experience. I'm definately not going to do this again, however I have a question that I'm hoping anyone can help me with. I've noticed that my eyes have gotten successively worse in the last month or so. I'm concerned about going back to glasses or getting contacts when I am unsure how long they will last and how quickly I will revert to my old eyesight or worse. Since I dont want to spend tons of money (already done that) just to have new glasses every 3 months, does anyone know or have a general idea how much longer I can expect to see decreasing visual quality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:20 pm 

What was your prescription before lasik and what is it now? Rapid regression sounds like a bulging/bowing cornea and should be investigated. All reasons for your regression should be investigated. Do not get more lasik!

edit: another possiblity is pseudomyopia. Have you been doing alot of reading or near work? When I do, I notice my vision is blurry for a few minutes to over an hour.

More information is needed, tell us about your lasik experience so we can help answer your complications.

Post subject: Re: Fast deterioration or slow?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:38 pm 

Disillusioned wrote:
Since I dont want to spend tons of money (already done that) just to have new glasses every 3 months, does anyone know or have a general idea how much longer I can expect to see decreasing visual quality?

Unfortunately there is no way to know if your vision will continue to decrease or when it will stabilize.

My vision decreased over the first year or two, then stabilized for a couple years, changed again, stabilized again, and is changing now. I'm 6 years post-op.

Prior to LASIK my vision had been stable for 20 years.

I have gone through so many pairs of glasses, I lost track years ago. The money I've spent post-LASIK far exceeds, many many times over, the amount I spent for LASIK.

avoidlasik mentioned a steepening cornea as one source of regression. Changes to the crystalline lens (usually in your 40's) and epithelial thickening are 2 more possible causes of vision changes.

If I were you I would see an eye doctor and get some glasses. If there is a LensCrafters in your area, they offer a 30 day guarantee. If your vision changes within 30 days you can have the glasses remade for free.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Re: Fast deterioration or slow?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:32 pm 

Broken Eyes wrote:
If I were you I would see an eye doctor and get some glasses. If there is a LensCrafters in your area, they offer a 30 day guarantee. If your vision changes within 30 days you can have the glasses remade for free.

I order my glasses on-line which saves me a bundle. I just received two pair of glasses (1 for distance, 1 for close-up) for a total of $54 from http://www.zennioptical.com. The quality is decent and it usually takes about 2 weeks to get it. I suggest trying something barebone first just to have a feel about the glasses' quality and the company's service.

Check the following sites for on-line eyeglasses retailers reviews:
http://www.eyeglassretailerreviews.com/index.htm
http://forums.eyeglassretailerreviews.com/

I usually use BBB.com and resellerratings.com to check whether there's any bad reviews about the retailer before I make any dealing. For protection, I only use credit card for any purchase on-line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:16 am 

Hi Disillusioned,

My eyes regressed also. But gradually - not suddenly. If you have rapid deterioration of your vision it may mean ectasia. Consider finding a doctor who has an Orbscan so that you can check changes in your posterior float. Serial Orbscans taken at different visits can be useful for detecting early bulging of the eye.

I have had 6-7 pairs of glasses, and my current pair isn't right now. In a little over 2 years. Try the mailorder trick or LensCrafters... if you want the right prescription and your prescription is a moving target it is going to cost you some bucks.

You may consider sending a note to your LASIK surgeon that his surgical procedure caused this problem. Many surgeons seem to have the idea that their patients don't have complications. It's terrible to allow them to them suffer such delusions -they could hurt more nice people.

P.S. surgieyes... great tips for cheap glasses online! Thanks!