Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:11 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Wavefront Glasses - More Hype
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:19 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:23 pm
Posts: 2080
http://www.revoptom.com/index.asp?page=2_896.htm

Given the development of preview lens systems, could wavefront revolutionize spectacle lens fabrication? Imagine that you could have your patient?s wavefront measurement recorded and transmitted to an excimer laser in just seconds. The laser would ablate the correction onto a plastic lens blank. Your patient could go home with new glasses that could provide him or her vision at the limit of optical resolution, in minutes.

Unfortunately, this scenario is challenging. ?Simply, spectacle applications are severely limited, making them impractical, because higher-order wavefront corrections need to move with the eye,? says Raymond Applegate, O.D., Ph.D., director of the Visual Optics Institute and Borish Chair professor at the University of Houston College of Optometry.

_________________
Broken Eyes

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato


Top
 
 Post subject: wavefront lasik is the real hype
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:28 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:57 am
Posts: 243
While those first generation wavefront glasses dont do much, they prave the road to further reserch. I read that in about 15 years from now, there will be wavefront glasses with thousands of tiny mirrors that follow your every eye movement. There is already adaptive optics, if they can shrink that to glasses size, no one will get lasik again when wavefront glasses gives you several times better vision without the risks! :idea:

_________________
Lasik damages every eye! Lasik induces more aberrations, even so called "wavefront!" Stick to glasses!


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:23 pm
Posts: 2080
Wavefront glasses can't possibly work. In a post-LASIK eye, vision changes dramatically with various lighting conditions (as the pupil changes size). There's no way glasses can account for that. The aberrations are different across the entrance pupil. Plus, your eyes are moving, looking through various points of the lenses.

Alignment of the optics to the line of sight is critical.

Simple bifocals are bad enough. You have to adjust your gaze up or down to see at distance or up close.

How in the world could you design multifocal glasses to address all of these issues? It's impossible.

_________________
Broken Eyes

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:57 am
Posts: 243
Would it be possible to make dynamic wavefront glasses with 1000s of tiny mirrors that move so they are always in line of your sight and aligned with your aberrations? I just read such technology is 15-20 years away

_________________
Lasik damages every eye! Lasik induces more aberrations, even so called "wavefront!" Stick to glasses!


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:23 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:23 pm
Posts: 2080
avoidlasik wrote:
Would it be possible to make dynamic wavefront glasses with 1000s of tiny mirrors that move so they are always in line of your sight and aligned with your aberrations? I just read such technology is 15-20 years away


Sounds ridiculous, but who knows.

Six years ago I was told to wait two years for custom wavefront. :roll: :roll: We know how great that turned out.

Grasshopper, you have learned much, but you still fall for hype. :wink: That's ok, it's refreshing. I used to be naive (before LASIK)... now I have to see it to believe it.

_________________
Broken Eyes

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato


Top
 
 Post subject: The only hype is lasik which is flawed.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:08 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:57 am
Posts: 243
Broken Eyes wrote:

Sounds ridiculous, but who knows.

Six years ago I was told to wait two years for custom wavefront. :roll: :roll: We know how great that turned out.

Grasshopper, you have learned much, but you still fall for hype. :wink: That's ok, it's refreshing. I used to be naive (before LASIK)... now I have to see it to believe it.



Lasik was fundamentally flawed from the start. New fancy machines have popped up, new ways such as intralase, wavefront, eye tracker, and other gimmics. Yet, all forms of laser surgury damage every eye, induce aberrations, cause dry eyes, degrade vision and can even cause ectasia!
The cornea isnt a piece of plastic and was never meant to be manipulated, ablated, burned, hacked, cut. For this reason, only glasses and contacts(including orthoK) work well and reliabily. IOLs dont touch the cornea but they do their damage from within the eye and arent safe just like lasik isnt safe.


Generally, new glasses and contact lens technologies are safe and reversable and can be changed as your eye changes. I read about the wavefront hype, first started in lasik, now extending to glasses/contacts. There already is z-wave RGP contacts custom made to perfectly fit your cornea to mask aberrations and increase comfort. Some people have gotten 20/10, even 20/8 vision from them! :shock: Adaptive optics use 1000s of mirrors to cancel out your aberrations. Do you know about that machine? Now if they can shrink it to the size of glasses and using a tiny battery, I dont see why it wouldnt work :P

_________________
Lasik damages every eye! Lasik induces more aberrations, even so called "wavefront!" Stick to glasses!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The only hype is lasik which is flawed.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:44 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:23 pm
Posts: 2080
avoidlasik wrote:
Adaptive optics use 1000s of mirrors to cancel out your aberrations. Do you know about that machine? Now if they can shrink it to the size of glasses and using a tiny battery, I dont see why it wouldnt work :P


I'm not going to hold my breath. :roll:

_________________
Broken Eyes

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato


Top
 
 Post subject: Wavefront glasses will never work
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:59 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:17 pm
Posts: 161
Wavfront glasses will never work for several reasons. First, after LASIK, higher order aberrations are typically irregularly distributed across the entrance pupil such that you would have to have the glasses in a fixed position to compensate for the irregularities.

Do they plan to bolt wavefront glasses to people's heads so that they don't move?

Second, the wavefront aberrations change with ambient light. It is impossible for glasses to do this.

Third, it's really difficult to make glass that will scatter light in an irregular but planned way. Continuous gradient glasses can be made, but if you want just a bifocal in the bottom of your lens it has to have a LINE.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:08 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:57 am
Posts: 243
We will just have to wait and see what the future brings in wavefront glasses technology. Todays wavefront dont work because the lenses are fixed and cant account for your eye movement or changes in light luminously. What we need are dynamic wavefront glasses with thousands of mirrors that can follow the eye as it moves constantly. It will improve the vision of all, especially those who got lasik. This is comming from an article I read. Todays technology cant help, but in the future, who knows what will be invented? :?:

_________________
Lasik damages every eye! Lasik induces more aberrations, even so called "wavefront!" Stick to glasses!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The only hype is lasik which is flawed.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:58 pm
Posts: 130
avoidlasik wrote:
There already is z-wave RGP contacts custom made to perfectly fit your cornea to mask aberrations and increase comfort. Some people have gotten 20/10, even 20/8 vision from them!


I tried z-ware RGP contacts before but it didn't work out for me. For post surgical eyes, I think the best bet is to find an "experienced" RGP fitter.

Get 20/10 or 20/8 vision doesn't mean you can drive safely at night b/c misfit RGP contacts can induce some "visual noisy" which can interfere you from seeing well at night. Post surgical patients who have gone thru different types of RGP contacts would have a better idea of what I meant.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:20 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:23 pm
Posts: 2080
surgieyes wrote:
I tried z-ware RGP before but it didn't work out for me. For post surgical eyes, I think the best bet is to find an "experienced" RGP fitter.


I tried them, too. I couldn't tolerate them. The first pair I had caused long 'shooting arcs' when I blinked. I had them remade with a larger OZ and that went away, but I still couldn't tolerate them.

I traveled to some of the "best" fitters but could never tolerate any RGP for long. They were all a waste of money for me. I guess I'm just one of those unlucky few that can't adapt to RGPs. (I was even intolerant to soft lenses, which is one reason I had LASIK. What an idiotic decision!!!) Thank God I can tolerate SynergEyes. But they still bother me -- just not so badly that I'm ready to give up. If I could get a lens on my left eye that I can tolerate, that centers, and is the correct power (like my right eye), I'd be very happy, even putting up with the dryness and discomfort (the discomfort of SynergEyes is much, much less than any RGPs I tried).

surgieyes wrote:
Get 20/10 or 20/8 vision doesn't mean you can drive safely at night b/c misfit RGP contacts can induce some "visual noisy" which can interfere you from seeing well at night. Post surgical patients who have gone thru different types of RGP contacts would have a better idea of what I meant.


I had "visual noise" with RGPs, too. I get flares around lights and sometimes multiple images. If they fit well and center well, most of that goes away. I still get some of it with my SynergEyes, but it's NOTHING compared to what I get with my LASIK'd eyes!!! :shock:

_________________
Broken Eyes

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:24 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:58 pm
Posts: 130
avoidlasik wrote:
We will just have to wait and see what the future brings in wavefront glasses technology. Todays wavefront dont work because the lenses are fixed and cant account for your eye movement or changes in light luminously. What we need are dynamic wavefront glasses with thousands of mirrors that can follow the eye as it moves constantly. It will improve the vision of all, especially those who got lasik. This is comming from an article I read. Todays technology cant help, but in the future, who knows what will be invented? :?:


Dynamic wavefront glasses? For those who got lasik, good luck :D


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:13 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:23 pm
Posts: 2080
It was probably a year or more ago that I actually exchanged emails with a representative from the company that makes wavefront glasses. The first question I asked him is what diameter is used to take the wavefront scan to produce the glasses. His answer was 4.5 mm. Even if these glasses COULD work, they would NOT work if your pupils dilate larger than 4.5 mm. :roll:

_________________
Broken Eyes

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:58 pm
Posts: 130
Broken Eyes wrote:
It was probably a year or more ago that I actually exchanged emails with a representative from the company that makes wavefront glasses. The first question I asked him is what diameter is used to take the wavefront scan to produce the glasses. His answer was 4.5 mm. Even if these glasses COULD work, they would NOT work if your pupils dilate larger than 4.5 mm. :roll:


Very good question B.E.

If large pupil is the main cause of vsion problems, then wavefront glasses is not going to help much.

But if the visual problems are due to some other factors, such as striae, decenter, etc, then wavefront glasses may be of some help. I imagine the wearers would have to move their heads instead of their pupils in seeing things so as to maintain a constant pupil eyeglasses alignment.

I'd love to see more details on how a wavefront glasses is being built.


Top
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:42 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:57 am
Posts: 243
You stand correct about needing a good RGP fitter, a bad fitting RGP may slide, causing blurred vision and halos as well as be uncomfortable. Soft contacts appear to be one size fits most/all so the issues are much less.


If only 4.5mm of your pupils are measured, wavefront glasses are useless for most. There are many other challenges to wavefront glasses too. I sure hope the future can bring new ways to help correct post-lasik vision and also do away with lasik alltogether!

_________________
Lasik damages every eye! Lasik induces more aberrations, even so called "wavefront!" Stick to glasses!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits