Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dry eyes 6 years after lasik
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:53 am 

Hello: I am from Panama, Central America. I had Lasik 8 years ago and I was thrilled. I would go around recommending the surgery to everyone that had miopia like me.

I didn't realize back then that ther could actually be eye complications due to lasik, since when I had the operation no one warned me. Then after 6 wonderful years my nightmare started. All of a sudden, and without warning I started experiencing dry eyes. I visited the doctor that practiced LASIk on my eyes and he told me that dry eyes were the side effect of the operation (back in Dec. of 2003). My eyes just kept getting dryer and dryer to the point that I had my for punctae cuaterized. Forunatelly I live in a very humid country (about 75% humidity).

I cannot even imagine the long term consecuences of this "terrible" decission. I dread traveling because of weather changes, I have terrible days in the office (I work on my computer all the time). I shy away from outdoor activities. When I pray I dread to cry because that makes me feel terrible afterwards.

As another lady expressed, the onlything that works is praying. I pray all the time that God gives knowledge to someone, to figure out what causes our dry eyes and actually come up with something to aleviate or pain.

On the good side: I notice that when I excercise regularly, my eyes do not feel so bad!!! Also, Dr. Holly's eye drops have helped me very much considering that I have tried many drops. Also Omega 3 and 6. These are only minimal improvements but any improvement is worth it.

Well that is all for now, best wishes for everyone.

Post subject: Could you benefit from a bedroom humidifier? Hot compresses?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:11 am 

Jessica,

You may consider going to the drugstore and buying a humidifier for your bedside table for drier days. It may help you!

Also, I love putting uncooked rice into panty hose and tying a knot to form a loose rice 'bean bag'. Heated in the microwave for about 45 seconds they make the BEST eyewarmers! They melt those meibomian gland secretions that help make the tears oilier and more comfortable. Also something to think about!

It's terrific that your doctor told you the truth... that your problem was a long-term effect of your surgery. Sometimes truth from refractive surgeons is hard to come by!

Post subject: It must be Lasik
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:52 pm 

Thanks defense for your comments. That was one of the first things the ophtalmologist here in Panama tried to figure out. So I had all the tests: sjogren's, arthritis, lupus, etc., etc., etc. Additionally, it was my own ophtalmologist who mentioned that dryness was one of the side effects.

I even went to Houston to visit one of the best eye doctors there, apparently my flap has scar tissue around it. The interesting thing is that even though I had a little dryness after Lasik I didn't even have to use eyedrops!!! But it got progressively worse by 2003.

I suppose our periferal nervous system is so complicated. Only God knows.

Best,

Post subject: Re: Could you benefit from a bedroom humidifier? Hot compres
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:40 pm 

Also, I love putting uncooked rice into panty hose and tying a knot to form a loose rice 'bean bag'. Heated in the microwave for about 45 seconds they make the BEST eyewarmers! They melt those meibomian gland secretions that help make the tears oilier and more comfortable. Also something to think about!

?What it this? ?Can you explain this in another way? ?You have to put this on your eyes?

Hello to all of you, I am new here. First of all excuse me for my english, it is really bad, I am a spanish speaking person. I have severe dry eyes and a lot of other complication like you because of my lasik surgery.

Regards,

Post subject: Hi Mariana
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:23 am 

Mariana,
So sorry to hear that you have dry eye. Have you considered going back to your doctor to have your lower tear ducts plugged? Your doctor can put tiny plastic plugs in your tear ducts so that you retain more of the tears that you make. It sort of keeps your tears from going down the 'drain'.

The rice baggies you make are made of regular uncooked rice. Use the toes of old panty hose to hold the rice. Pour rice in the toes until you have a flat loose bag a little larger than your eye. Tie a knot. Cut the panty hose about 6 inches above the knot. Pull the cut end over the bag so that you have 2 layers of fabric on the bag. Tie another knot and pull on it hard. Cut close to the knot with scissors. Make two of these. Heat them in the microwave for 45 seconds and put them on your eyes. They feel so good, and they help release the natural oils your eye makes that sometimes get trapped when tiny openings are plugged.

The glands that make these oils are called meibomian glands. There are some on the insides of your eyelids, and also a row of glands along the base of your lower eyelashes. If the oils become too dry or the ducts become irritated they may be blocked. The rice baggies can help with this.

Some doctors also prescribe antibiotics for a while to LASIK patients to help keep inflammation down to help the meibomian ducts stay open. Doxycycline, for example, is commonly prescribed for dry eye.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for laser-surgery induced dry eye because it is based on nerve damage. There are things that can make you feel better on a temporary basis... such as rice baggies, humidifiers, a hot shower, fish oil in your diet (or fish oil or flaxseed capsules taken orally).

The only way to prevent laser surgery induced dry eye is to prevent laser eye surgery.

Mariana, if you are really suffering there are goggles made by a company called Panoptyx that look like really cool sunglasses. Nobody can really tell that they are goggles. They have a seal to keep moisture around your eye.

Do a Google search on Panoptyx and you will find them. They cost about 100 dollars US.

Mariana, how long ago was your laser surgery? Did you develop dry eye immediately, or did you develop this problem years later, like Zelly? How is your vision? What does your doctor say about your problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:44 am 

Mariana, you used to post on Surgical Eyes, didn't you? If so...

It's great to hear from you again!!! :)

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:33 pm 

Hello again:

Broken eyes,
Sorry, I am not this women that you used to see in Surgical eyes.

Scientist
Many thank for your tips and all the recommendation that you gave me in your post.

I made my laser surgery in June 2004 and the dryness developed immediately after the surgery. My doctor told me that my vision it is okay (20/20), but I had a lot of pain in my eyes. I beginning to realize that I was now seeing with glare, halos, starburst, ghosts, a constant sensitivity of lights, loss of contrast sensitivity etc, etc.
Doctor explain mi about my wide range of pupils and he prescribes me some drops of ?Pilocarpine ? two o three times a day. This was awful, I developed allergy and the dryness was worse.

For the dryness he tries with different drops and with silicone plugs in my tear ducts but I have very pretty small orifice. He tried with child sized plugs but it didn?t work either.

Finally he said me that ?I had to have a change in my brain?. It is a joke!! I said him. Do you want to say me that I must become accustomed to see bad for the rest of my life!!!! Then I changed the doctor.

I went to another doctor and he confirmed me that I have Keratitis sicca and recommended me some ointments ?Viscotears? at night. Today I have changed my glasses many times in one year and now I am wearing my first RPG contact lens. I have used it only two weeks but it is so difficult for me to assimilate it because of the dryness in my eyes. It is too uncomfortable, however my vision is a little better. I think that I see less halos and ghosts but I need some adjustments. I don?t know if this will be my solution. Actually today I know that there are not solution but I expect to manage my problem in the best way.

I went to my homeopath and he recommended me some drops : ?Crisolita D12?. I taked it for about six months and this drops help me strengthen my vision. I think that this drops helping healing the scar on my cornea because the burning sensation and the pain that I was felling decrease.

Now I was taken some capsules for dry eyes called ?TheraLife Eye Enhanced? www.theralife.com , I buy it through Internet.
This capsules help me a lot, you know, not as good as before my surgery, but I feel a little better since I have taken it, also every day I take two capsules of Salmon oils with Omega 3.

In one of my search on the Internet I find the Panoptyx glasses that you recommend me but I live in Chile and there are not this kind of lenses here, I think that I have to see whether the glasses fits in my face, also I have a glasses prescription ?What is your opinion?

I hope to continue sharing my experiences in this site. It was great to find you. Thank you.

Regards,

Post subject: Order Panoptyx goggles with clear prescription lenses
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:54 pm 

Hi Mariana. If you take your most recent glasses prescription from your Optometrist you can order Panoptyx glasses with a prescription. Or you can wear them over your contacts to keep your eyes more moist while you are wearing lenses.

We hope you are spreading the word in your community that LASIK is a bad surgery, and telling everyone who your doctor is and what he said to you - that brain adaptation line is an often used and a BAD one.

They know they have induced distortions in your eyes and they tell you to wait to get used to the decreased visual quality. Doctors shouldn't be in the business of decreasing eye health and visual quality to make themselves rich.

Someday they will have to face all the patients they have harmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:30 pm 

Scientist,
Thanks again.

Of course I am telling to all the people I know about my suffering, and prevent them about the risk of Lasik eye surgery.

Maybe you have any idea about the Corning photo chromic filters. Does this filter help us in any way?

Post subject: I don't know anything about these filters...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:24 am 

Has anyone heard anything about the filters Mariana mentioned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:11 pm 

Hi!

Here is a link where you can investigate.

http://www.visionadvantage.net/corningmedicaloptics.htm

Please let me know what you think.

regards,

Post subject: Thanks for the link Mariana!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:43 am 

I am hearing lots of good things about yellow lenses. I see better and colors look better when I wear yellow lenses. Everything doesn't look so 'washed out' - I get some depth back and more intense color.

Perhaps some prescription goggles with yellow lenses would be the ticket -however my friend claims her goggles make her look like a fly. If goggles kept the dry eye pain and burning down I'd be fine with the 'fly' look.