One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: No surgery but getting halos and double vision
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 6:24 pm 

Hi,

After reading and looking at these diagrams -:

http://www.surgicaleyes.org/GlareBursting.htm

I realize that i am getting almost identical vision as the pictures show, I have had no surgery and visited the opticions and eye infirmary and have perfect eyesight. That is, I can read all the graphs and small print without glasses. But I get halos from street lights, car lights (back and front) I also get a halos/double vision around white text on black background on tv's news articles etc. I have had this problem for almost a year now and can't find a reason or solution. Not until I came across the above website with diagrams did I realize that other people where suffering the same thing as myself, only i have had no surgey or lazer treatment....

I would greatly appreciate any advice, as this is deeply worrying me.

I am getting vision identical to this picture on the left and the halo around the golf ball, only i get the halo mostly around the top and left as opposed to all the way around objects. see below.

http://www.surgicaleyes.org/Glare.htm

Post subject: You need a complete workup
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:17 pm 

Sounds like a retinal scan would be a good idea (go to a high-tech office where they can take a retinal image and save it for comarison with later images). You should also have your cornea examined.

Are you on any medication that has visual side-effects listed when you look up the symptoms on the internet? Bring everything you are currently taking to the doctor and have a thorough exam. There could be an underlying medical condition that needs attention.

Diabetes, multiple sclerosis and other systemic diseases can affect vision. You need to find out what's going on and seek treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:55 pm 

Been to doctors, had multiple blood tests including diabetes, everythig came back clear. Went to an opticians, nothing found. Finally went to eye infirmary 2 days ago, nothing unusual although all testing equipment wasn't available due to the time I went. Appointment for 2 weeks so will see what happens. The only thing I can think of that is giving me this problem is maybe spending too much time looking at my computer screen? Well just incase that was causing a problem, I went out and bought a tft screen to see if it helps. Other than that I am completely lost!

I have never had any eye problems in the past and otherwise have perfect vision. I hope it clears up soon as it's really driving me insane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:06 pm 

Dry eyes could give you those symptoms. Did your optometrist test for that? You could try getting some preservative free drops (the kind in little vials) and put them in at night and see if that helps.

Are you a middle-aged woman? Sometimes hormone changes can bring this on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:00 pm 

Thanks for your replys,

No I'm a 34 year old male who's career just happens to be a photographer. It's not looking good. Not sure I have dry eyes, but I do seem to notice the halo effect more at night, wether indoor or out. Not sure what to look for with dry eyes, would they be sore or anything. What also makes it more confusing for me is the fact that it is definitly in both eyes, if close one, I still get the same effect. Computer LED lights also give a blur effect and sometimes I can see a translucant version of the led light just above it, it's really got me stumped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:04 pm 

Something else i thought I should add...

When I dip my head while looking at the object which is giving the halos etc, they seem to vanish. so If i look at an object through the tops of my eys so to speak, the ghosting/halo seems to go away?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:50 pm 

Wow you have the same symptoms as someone I know with early cataracts. I assume you were checked first for those? The person I know is also a male in his 30s and the doctors are not sure why he got them so early in life. One doctor told him that sometimes an environmental trauma will cause temporary cataracts that will gradually go away in time. I am no expert but I thought I would pass on this idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:49 pm 

Thx for your reply, I have had a dilated pupil test and nothing was found, would a dilated pupil test have found cataracts? I have another appointment with the doctor today and i'm going to suggest he send me to a neurologist as my vision is showing no improvement. Strange thing is I have 20/20 vision.

When I watch TV, I get streaks of light rising from the top and bottom of the tv, If I try and open my eyes as wide as possible I can eliminate most of the streaks.

If I look at a street light at night, I get a halo around it, but as the distance increases I then start to see 2 lights from it (the double vision version is almost always above the original and slightly to the left)

I only ever seem to get a faint double vision on lights and light text on a darker background, again almost always above and to the left.

Frustrating to say the least.

Post subject: high order aberrations?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:13 am 

Get a topography and aberrometry. You may have lots of high order aberrations and irregular astigmastim. I never had lasik and get some of those effects. I also can only correct to 20/30 with glasses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:38 am 

Thankyou for your advice, I will look into getting those tests done when my next appointment comes. I used to spend approx 12-16 hours a day looking at my computer monitor (CRT) correcting and manipulating images, etc. Do you think that could be the cause of my eye problems? I have always had what I can only describe as excellent vision, that was until the last 9 months or so, which is how long I have had this problem.

*EDIT*

Do you or anyone else have this problem....

When watching a tv program, anyone wearing a bright top (mostly white or bright yellow) with a slightly dark background, do you get kind of double vision of the top the person is wearing? It almost looks like a translucant version of the same image. I ask this because i'm not sure if I should be describing this as double vision or halo or even glare?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:44 am 

Fear Zeus,

I have visual symptoms like yours, but it is because my corneas have been really messed up by a refractive surgeon. If you are having these visual disturbances without having visited a 'LASIK butcher' then you should be evaluated immediately.

Bad vision after corneal refractive surgery is easily explained. (The surgeries trash your cornea).

What you describe does not sound normal. It may be something as benign as dry eye, which can cause blurry vision... or you may have something more serious, such as keratoconus.

Get it checked, and whatever you do, don't have corneal refractive surgery of any kind. Not even if you have a discount slash and gash coupon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:20 pm 

FearZeus,
This is called ghosting or ghost images. It is very common after PRK surgery and is caused by the irregular surface left behind. It is supposed to deminish as the surface regrows and smooths out. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. In my case it got worse and ended up being because of my overcorrection. I guess overcorrected eyes have ghosting too. Why you are getting ghosting is a puzzle....
I wish you good luck and hope this is just a temporary thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:18 pm 

Thanks guys,

The only thing I can think of is very heavy use of computers, looking at the monitor, etc...

I have visited my doctors and he is going to make sure my appointment for the eye infirmiry is within the next 2 weeks. The thing is my eyes are not consistently the same, most of the time I have these symptons but not all the time. I notice this ghosting mainly at these times...

1) When I eat.
2) When I lie down on the settee with my head kind of bent upwards to watch tv.
3) Late at night, an hour or two before bed.
4) first thing on a morning, but this may be normal.

Fingers crossed, it's nothing serious. I will keep you informed of any diagnosis, etc. Many thanks for all the replys.

Post subject: Hi FearZeus, any news on a diagnosis?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:23 am 

FearZeus,

Haven't heard from you in a while and we were wondering what if any diagnosis was made of your visual ghosting problem in the absence of any corneal refractive surgeries.

You need a wavescan, an Orbscan if you can get one, a slit lamp exam and surface staining for dry eye, a schirmer's test, a retinal scan, a refraction, a visual field test... a complete workup.

Since you have this problem mornings and evenings it could be dry eye. Something as simple as punctal plugs may help you out.

Let us know how you're doing! :)