Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to get over a bad refractive surgery outcome?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:39 am 

You asked TotallyScrewed:

Quote:
Elvira:
This refractive surgery has totally ruined my life. How have you done it?

Elvira. I can't tell you what your solution to finding a new life after a disastrous refractive surgery outcome will be... but I can share mine. I decided to accept that I was damaged, and to do everything possible to prevent other people from having the same experience. I also made a pledge to myself to help every damaged post-refractive surgery patient I could reach in any way possible.

I tried reaching out to people in many ways. Some methods, I found, work better than others.

I hope you find your way to a better life and a sense of purpose.

TotallyScrewed, what are your coping mechanisms?

Anyone have more suggestions?

Post subject: To Eye
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Eye,
Thank you so much for trying to help. I just cannot take the dry eye pain anymore and nothing seems to help. I just wish everyone knew how much Eye has tried to helpe me. He even talked to me on the phone which I truly apreciate. Eye thank you so much with all my heart.
Elvira Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:00 am 

You want to know how I've done it?

2 Corinthians 12: 7 - 9

The Apostle Paul wrote:

"Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

Wow, "...my power is made perfect in weakness". God is telling us that He will get us through the worst of times, and He will use our weaknesses to make us stronger in Him.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: They way I cope with dry eyes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 pm 

I constantly pray that God gives wisdom to scientists and that He reveals the secrets of "darkness" and treasures "hidden" to men regarding the complexity of our eyes so that in a not so distant future "help" comes our way.

Zelly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:11 am 
 WWW  Profile

Zelly,
I pray to God to help us all, lasik victims and those that have not had it to not have it. I also ask him that when the time comes for these lasik surgeons that he show them as much mercy as they showed their lasik victims, when the doctors knew exactly what they were doing, that they were damaging these people's eyes for the rest of their lives. I do not believe it will come from the doctors that do lasik. Not unless a lasik doctor admits that lasik is wrong and he will no longer do it, like the doctor in Atlanta, I believe. I have tried to end it, but the Lord still wants me here in spite of this pain and torure. I also pray that he not make it that long and take me because most of the time, this is more than I can stand. I do not know how some of the others have dealt with it for years. I went to see a new doctor today to try to get some pain medication for during the day and she refused. She said she knows hundreds that have had lasik and I am the first most unusual case she has ever heard of. I truly belive that within 5 to 10 years the nation is going to have the biggest internal health problems all due to lasik created by a greedy medical group. But she also made the comment that she knows alot of doctors that wear glasses. I told her that she hit it right on the head, but I am not sure she understood.
Elvira Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:24 pm 

I sometimes wonder if this was gods way to bring me back. After my lasik I turned to god and church to keep myself from doing something stupid. I pray everyday for forgiveness in my heart for the terrible surgery that ruined my life. I pray for peace and joy for everyone suffering from lasik or any other dibilitating life situation. I've also attended some healing masses, and I have to say, they are truly inspiring.
God Bless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:45 am 

dianekimby wrote:
I sometimes wonder if this was gods way to bring me back.

I absolutely believe this! Your salvation is way more important that your temporary eyesight on this earth. Your home is in heaven where you won't have the problems of your physical body.

dianekimby wrote:
I pray everyday for forgiveness in my heart for the terrible surgery that ruined my life.

Someday with God's grace I'll forgive the surgeon that did this to me. He does not deserve forgiveness, but I guess none of us do!

Not so long ago I remember thinking to myself, "how in the world will I ever forgive that surgeon?" and God gave me a vision of me standing at the foot of the cross. There were other people standing there, too, and one of them was none other than my surgeon. It was God's way of asking me -- could I really hold a grudge against that surgeon while watching Jesus die on the cross for MY sins? It kind of put things into perspective for me.

That was not the first vision that God gave me regarding forgiving my surgeon. About a year ago I was in Bible study class. The teacher had gone to the Christian bookstore and bought these small rocks that had words engraved on them, words like "Love", "Faith", "Hope", etc. The teacher spread the rocks out on the table in front of us and asked us all to choose a rock. Well, there was a rock that said "Forgive" and everyone thought that should be my rock (all of my classmates knew about my bad LASIK and my struggles to forgive my surgeon). But there was another rock there on the table that said "Trust" and somehow I just knew that was my rock. So I took the Trust rock. After everyone else had selected their rocks, the Forgive rock was still there, no one had taken it, so the teacher pushed the rock over to me and said "Here, take this one, too". A few minutes later the teacher said "Instead of the usual prayer, we are going to do something different today. I want you to close your eyes and bow your heads, but do not say a prayer, just clear your mind of all thoughts, empty your mind so you will be open to whatever message God has for you today". So I did. I closed my eyes, bowed my head, and tried to clear all thoughts from my mind. The two rocks were sitting there on the table in front of me. The Trust rock was in front, closest to me and the Forgive rock was behind it. Suddenly I began to have a vision of a clear stream of rushing water. There were many rocks in the stream, just plain ugly brown rocks. Then I saw that the rushing water was washing one of the rocks clean, and the force of the water was smoothing away the rough edges of the rock, and polishing the rock, making it beautiful. Suddenly a word began to appear on top of the rock, and the word was TRUST. God revealed to me that I was like the rock in the stream, and He was the rushing water, washing me clean and making me into something beautiful. And He showed me that I have to learn to TRUST Him before I can learn to FORGIVE my surgeon.

I really believe that's the key for me. I have to trust God to hold my surgeon accountable or whatever fate God has for him. If I can just hand it over to God, completely, once and for all, then I'll be able to forgive.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: I'm ready to hold surgeons accountable in the here and now!
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:20 pm 

It was said rather eloquently elsewhere on this site that there are 3 kinds of LASIK surgeons:

1. Surgeons who are stupid and think that LASIK is OK - they may have even had LASIK themselves or performed it on a loved one.

2. Surgeons who are totally in denial.

3. Surgeons who are completely aware that LASIK is harmful but do it anyway for the cash.

I'm hoping that we can educate group #1, jolt group#2 into reality and remind group #3 of the carnage they have caused in a very public way that hurts the only thing they care about... their wallets.

Post subject: Are LASIK surgeons evil, stupid, or both.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:19 am 

It seems most of the posts on this forum place the majority of LASIK surgeons in category 3. It?s been my own experience that most are in category 1. I researched seven prominent and respected surgeons in the Los Angeles area, most with international clientele. Many of you would recognize their names, I?m sure.

Of the seven, four surgeons publicize that they have had LASIK themselves. One, who is a frequent contributor to forums on the Web and who has not had LASIK, has performed the procedure on his own daughter. Another has performed LASIK on his own father, who is also an ophthalmologist and works in partnership with his son. These are acts that they unabashedly publicize on their Web sites and that they are proud of. My surgeon confessed to have performed the procedure on numerous loved ones and family members.

So, I don?t think that these surgeons are necessarily evil or out to deliberately hurt people, but, given the informational resources and first-hand research results that they have at their disposal, they must be mentally impeded in some way. Despite all the academic accolades they boast of on their Web sites, I certainly don?t consider any these poor souls to be truly intelligent. Since their actions put their own health and that of beloved family members in jeopardy, I really can?t comprehend what it is that blinds them.

Post subject: They are blinded by greed
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:37 pm 

Money is blinding them. LASIK is so lucrative, they refuse to see its flaws.

Post subject: Money is not all that blinds.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:10 am 

I know money blinds, but where is the money when surgeons perform LASIK on their own fathers and daughters. The procedure, in most cases, is not covered by insurance, so how are they making money in such cases?

No, I think that there is something more fundamental in their mental makeup that blinds them -- some sort of defect or psychological disorder. I think congnitive dissonance plays a role. That is, the research clearly demonstrates to them that the procedure is flawed, but yet they continue to perform it, thus creating dissonance between what they know and what they do.

Consequently, they subconciously change their belief system in order to ease the dissonance and justify their actions. Their belief that LASIK is good is an illusion that helps them deal with the discomfort caused by the dissonance (just like holding a prescription lens in front of an astigmatic eye -- the "dissonance" in the eye is not repaired; it's just alleviated). This allows them to perform the procedure on loved ones. At some level and despite all the facts, they really have convinced themselves that LASIK is good. LASIK surgeons are truly psychologically disturbed and are in need of therapy.

Post subject: Innocent at first, serious denial later?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:03 pm 

I agree that many LASIK surgeons may be psychologically disturbed. However, in the early days of LASIK before there were aberrometers to measure the distortions LASIK introduced into the cornea, and confocal microscopes to measure the LASIK-induced nerve damage... many surgeons may have belived that LASIK really was safe and OK.

Much of the clinical data for the approval of LASIK was kept from the public. As far as most people knew, data for outcomes and stability was great. Well, it's not so great. If people knew their odds of hitting 20/20 in both eyes were only something like 50/50 and that retreatments are not FDA approved perhaps they'd think twice before taking the plunge to have LASIK.

I doubt there are very many surgeons who have performed LASIK on a close friend or relative LATELY. They may still be doing surgeries on their OFFICE STAFF, but not close friends or loved ones. They know the damage that the surgeries cause and they know that creation of the LASIK flap causes both short and long term problems.

Post subject: Re: Money is not all that blinds.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:26 pm 

marcalans wrote:
I know money blinds, but where is the money when surgeons perform LASIK on their own fathers and daughters. The procedure, in most cases, is not covered by insurance, so how are they making money in such cases?

Marketing.

I think it's a combination of money, ego and pride.

How many surgeons perform LASIK on ALL their family members?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:40 pm 

This is how I said it:

Quote:
I think there are 3 classes of refractive surgeons:

1. Evil (they know the harm they are doing, but they do it anyway for the money).

2. Stupid (they really are clueless about the harm they are doing. If they would take a few days off from pushing the pedal and read the medical literature, they might learn something.)

3. In denial (they reject the truth about the harm they are doing because it's the only way they can sleep at night).

Read the story of Ignaz Semmelweis, then tell me what was wrong with those doctors. Women were dying because of their ignorance.

http://www.lasikflap.com/forum/viewtopi ... ight=ignaz

Post subject: When Is A Patient Going To Take WRATH Upon Their Lasic Doc?
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:13 am 

I check the news daily waiting for someone to "stand up" to the industry and send a message that "it is not okay to lie, cheat, and ruin" a human being's life...and they should already know this, but when they are making millions of dollars each year at "our expense," they tend to forget.

When is the news going to show this side of lasik? What gets me through each day, is that I pray that this will happen so the industry will panic, and there will be an entire revolution that stands up to it, to the point where doctors become scared to go to work...

Wouldn't it be nice if someone stood up...then another...then another...and about once a week you heard, this doctor had a very disgruntled patient do ____________, then this doctor at his home had ____________ happen, and then so on and so on...

Maybe then, the FDA, ACRS, AMA would all go bancrupt because they aren't worth a shit either! Something drastic needs to happen for "change" to happen...and I pray that it does, because we are all over due and certainly have been lied to, and quite frankly did NOT receive "informed consent." Many of us were "test subjects" and didn't even know it. But again, this will go on and on until someone out there takes WRATH on their doctor for ruining their life...

I await to hear the news on tv...