Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:41 pm 

Broken Eyes wrote:
dianekimby wrote:
I sometimes wonder if this was gods way to bring me back.

I absolutely believe this! Your salvation is way more important that your temporary eyesight on this earth. Your home is in heaven where you won't have the problems of your physical body.

dianekimby wrote:
I pray everyday for forgiveness in my heart for the terrible surgery that ruined my life.

Someday with God's grace I'll forgive the surgeon that did this to me. He does not deserve forgiveness, but I guess none of us do!

Not so long ago I remember thinking to myself, "how in the world will I ever forgive that surgeon?" and God gave me a vision of me standing at the foot of the cross. There were other people standing there, too, and one of them was none other than my surgeon. It was God's way of asking me -- could I really hold a grudge against that surgeon while watching Jesus die on the cross for MY sins? It kind of put things into perspective for me.

That was not the first vision that God gave me regarding forgiving my surgeon. About a year ago I was in Bible study class. The teacher had gone to the Christian bookstore and bought these small rocks that had words engraved on them, words like "Love", "Faith", "Hope", etc. The teacher spread the rocks out on the table in front of us and asked us all to choose a rock. Well, there was a rock that said "Forgive" and everyone thought that should be my rock (all of my classmates knew about my bad LASIK and my struggles to forgive my surgeon). But there was another rock there on the table that said "Trust" and somehow I just knew that was my rock. So I took the Trust rock. After everyone else had selected their rocks, the Forgive rock was still there, no one had taken it, so the teacher pushed the rock over to me and said "Here, take this one, too". A few minutes later the teacher said "Instead of the usual prayer, we are going to do something different today. I want you to close your eyes and bow your heads, but do not say a prayer, just clear your mind of all thoughts, empty your mind so you will be open to whatever message God has for you today". So I did. I closed my eyes, bowed my head, and tried to clear all thoughts from my mind. The two rocks were sitting there on the table in front of me. The Trust rock was in front, closest to me and the Forgive rock was behind it. Suddenly I began to have a vision of a clear stream of rushing water. There were many rocks in the stream, just plain ugly brown rocks. Then I saw that the rushing water was washing one of the rocks clean, and the force of the water was smoothing away the rough edges of the rock, and polishing the rock, making it beautiful. Suddenly a word began to appear on top of the rock, and the word was TRUST. God revealed to me that I was like the rock in the stream, and He was the rushing water, washing me clean and making me into something beautiful. And He showed me that I have to learn to TRUST Him before I can learn to FORGIVE my surgeon.

I really believe that's the key for me. I have to trust God to hold my surgeon accountable or whatever fate God has for him. If I can just hand it over to God, completely, once and for all, then I'll be able to forgive.

One thing that I've been struggling with lately is the legal action I'm taking against my surgeon and the surgery center. I'm a Christian and didn't make this decision to take legal action lightly..I struggled with it for about 6 months before I decided. Something just came over me to do it. But lately I've been thinking about it. I'm not going to back down but wonder deep down what God thinks. I'm truly not doing it for the money or greed..I just want them to understand what they did and how traumatic it was for me..which I really don't think they ever understood. They kind of played it off like "we can fix it".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:49 pm 

If you are seeking the truth and justice, you have no reason to feel guilty.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: It's so much easier to forgive someone for an 'accident'
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:04 pm 

I agree with Broken Eyes. You have absolutely no reason to feel guilty about pursuing some truth and justice. If not for yourself, to prevent others from being harmed!

LASIK is a deliberate mutilation to healthy eyes. Deception to cover flaws in the procedure that were apparent in the clinical trials data was deliberate.

LASIK surgeons know that they are hurting people. The industry knows that their devices are harmful and ruin lives.

Forgiveness? If that's possible it would be a super-human feat. Every surgeon currently performing these surgeries does so with full knowledge of the harm they do to eyes.

Post subject: I'm a living, practicing, Christian too...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:54 pm 

Hello:

I saw this and couldn't resist replying. You have absolutely no reason to feel guilty. ZIPPO. These doctors know that they are not telling all of the known truths, for if they did relinquish to the patient everything, they wouldn't be making their $10million per year...

So, first and foremost, consider what they do a detriment to their fellow brothers and sisters, unless they give total informed consent which they do not. Secondly, I am over $30,000 in medical bills trying to fix what they messed up...not to mention depression, ongoing daily visual hell, etc...and all without compensation. Is this fair?

It's like having them go into the Ferrari auto dealership and purchasing a $150,000 Ferrari, and then when they go to pick it up it doesn't start, there are no wheels or keys that are made for the car and it's useless...They would be livid. No multiply that times 100x and that isn't even how badly they have screwed our lives over, your families, your ability to provide for YOUR family, etc...

They are messing with YOUR LIFE! They know it, and they know that they can get away with it...it is SICK. My suggestions:

a. Todd Krouner: New York lawyer very well known for winning lasik lawsuits.

b. Issue a complaint against the doctor with the Dept of Regulation in the state where the doctor practices.

c. Get copies of all of your PRE and POST medical records and the blade #'s that were used if one, to create your permanent flap that never heals.

SUE SUE SUE AND SUE SOME MORE!!
OTHERWISE, YOU ARE OUT OF POCKET FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!

Good luck to you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:49 pm 

Thank you for your responses. It did help. My suit was filed last year..so it's out there.

Post subject: I hope you sue the pants off of the lasik doctor and win!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:00 pm 

Congrats on your lawsuit against your lasik doctor and I pray that you are awarded so much money, that the insurance company and the doctors all go bancrupt...

Well I can dream can't I...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:53 am 

The whole lawsuit thing still makes me nervous even though it's obvious they made a big error!

Post subject: Taking action is the right thing to do
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:52 pm 

OK ally1... let's consider your alternative - dropping your lawsuit and ignoring the whole thing. Would that be the right thing to do? Doesn't your lawsuit help to expose problems with your doctor and the surgery that you had?

Doesn't the public have a right to know that 'big errors' occur and people can get hurt?

There's nothing Christian about allowing a physician to harm patients and get away with it.

Don't be nervous! Hang in there! :wink:

Post subject: I agree...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:11 pm 

There certainly isn't anything Christian about lasik doctors lying to you, sticking together, when you will have lost millions for lost wages, depression, divorced households, smeared vision 365/24/7 with no cure, pain trying to sleep from dry eye syndrome, and all of them laughing behind your back as you fall deeper and deeper into debt trying to find a cure, and further risking additional risks...

Again, the confidence and facts here, are that we have found out the truths and do NOT want you to suffer as we have truly gotten screwed. I'm a Christian, and a practicing one, and yes I am absolutely astonished by the corruption with lasik doctors and in how they falsify documents and lie, cheat and steal from their patients AFTER they know they have ruined their vision...THEY DON"T CARE, and YOU NEED to know this while you can still SUE!!

Anyway, just my two cents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:34 pm 

I met a woman at church this morning with one useless eye due to retinal detachment and cataract. Until this morning she didn't know I have vision problems and I didn't know that she did. Now we'll always have a closer connection with each other.

I never like to miss Sunday services because I'm afraid I'm going to miss an important message. And that certainly applied this morning. It's like your week can be absolute hell, and things happen but you don't react like a Christian should, and so you're not in a good place spiritually, but when you hear the sermon, it somehow applies *directly* to something you're going through in life at that moment. And your world, which has been turned upside down by stressful events, is turned right side up again, and you know what you have to do to keep on going in the right direction.

I'm all for suing your surgeon if there was malpractice. I was a terrible candidate, but the measurements taken at my pre-op exam were clearly in error. I hope if my surgeon learned anything from the lawsuit, he learned to NEVER DELEGATE PRE-OP EXAMS TO SOMEONE WHO HAS NOT BEEN PROPERLY TRAINED. I also hope his "informed consent" (what a joke) now contains warnings about dry eye and pupil size (it didn't when I signed it). I seriously doubt he ever operated on another 8mm pupil patient. So if my lawsuit forced him to screen patients more carefully and provide better informed consent, then it was a good thing. I certainly cannot feel badly as a Christian for that.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Informed Consent is only there for the surgeon's protection.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:49 pm 

None, not one doctor out there is informing any/all patients with total disclosure because they knew if they did give complete informed consent, no one would buy their louzy, EVIL, horrific procedures such as lasik...

So, BUYER BEWARE!! If a doctor, of any specialty, does not properly prequalify a patient, botches the procedure, lies about it which means that the doctor did NOT tell the patient the truth as he/she swore to do when they swore the Hippocratic Oath "to do no harm," and then sues the patient back because now adays, that is what the insurance companies want the doctors to do to help minimize the lawsuits...then who is looking out for the injured patient who can't seek damages for having ruined eyes, thus, a ruined life, a ruined job, a ruined income stream, ruined smeared vision, while the lasik doctor puts his/her children through Wharton School of business or Harvard, drives multiple Mercedes, has the boat(s) on the weekends, dines at the fanciest hotels/restaurants, and takes the most elaborate vacations, ALL AT YOUR EXPENSE AND MY EXPENSE...

It's truly RAPE, but somehow a LEGAL FORM OF RAPE...THE ONLY DIFFERENCE, ONE WAS BETTER OFF BEING PHYSICALLY RAPED, THAN WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO US WHERE WE PAID THE LASIK DOCTOR OR RAPIST $5,000 A POP, TO RUIN OUR LIVES, LIE ABOUT IT, AND CUT OFF OUR ABILITY TO "LIVE" A NICE LIFE...THE LASIK DOCTOR DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR ONGOING DAILY SUFFERING...THUS, KNOWINGLY HAS COMMITTED AN "ACT OF RAPE," KNOWING THAT IF THEY DID DIVULGE WHAT REALLY HAPPENED, THEY WOULD GO BANCRUPT...RAPE is defined:

Rape is a form of assault where an individual forces another to have sexual intercourse against that person?s will. Most experts believe the primary cause of rape is an aggressive desire to dominate the victim rather than an attempt to achieve sexual fulfillment. [1] They consider rape an act of violence rather than principally a sexual encounter.

Rape is generally considered one of the most serious sex crimes and can be very difficult to prosecute. Sexual violence can also be a war crime under international law. Consent may be absent due to duress arising from the use, or threat, of overwhelming force or violence, or because the subject is incapacitated in some way such as intoxication and/or underage innocence. In some cases coercion might also be used to negate consent.

There is no universally accepted distinction between rape and other forms of assault involving one or both participant's sexual organs. Some criminal codes explicitly consider all kinds of forced sexual activity to be rape, whereas in others only acts involving penile penetration of the vagina. Many restrict rape to instances where a woman is forced by a man. In recent years some women have been convicted of raping men; this is classed as either rape or sexual assault.[2] In some jurisdictions rape may also be committed by assailants using objects, rather than their own body parts, against the sexual organs of their target.

The rape of women by men is the most frequent form of the assault. Male-male rape is common, primarily in correctional facilities. There are an increasing number of female assailants being convicted for the rape of men, [3] most commonly, statutory rape.[citation needed] It is thought that female rapists who rape other women are almost never caught or convicted[4] and research on female rapists is rare.[5

Informed Consent: Defined...

Definitions of informed consent on the Web:

A process in which a person learns key facts about a clinical trial, including potential risks and benefits, before deciding whether or not to participate in a study. Informed consent continues throughout the trial.
www.stjude.org/glossary

A process by which a subject voluntarily confirms his or her willingness to participate in a particular trial, after having been informed of all aspects of the trial that are relevant to the subject?s decision to participate. Informed consent is documented by means of a written, signed, and dated informed consent form. ... www.brentwoodresearch.com/glossary.cfm

A discussion of the procedures, risks, and benefits of a clinical trial between the investigator and the patient. All patients must sign the informed consent form before participating in a trial.
www.ccfa.org/trials/glossary

a legal document that explains a course of treatment, the risks, benefits, and possible alternatives; the process by which patients agree to treatment. www.rch.org.au/ceed/disorders.cfm

The process in which a patient learns about and understands the purpose and aspects of a clinical trial and then agrees to participate. Of course, a patient may decline to participate. This process includes a document defining how much a patient must know about the potential benefits and risks of therapy before being able to agree to undergo it knowledgeably. (Informed consent is required in federally conducted, funded or regulated studies a swell as by many state laws. ...
www.womens-wellness.com/Glossary.html

An agreement to participate in a trial that's given after a potential participant has reviewed all available information about the treatment. Participants in a clinical trial must be fully informed of the potential risks and benefits of the experimental treatment as well as other treatment options. There must be no penalties for declining to participate or for withdrawing from the trial at any time. www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm

The permission given by a person before surgery or other kinds of treatment. The patient, or a parent or guardian, must understand the potential risks and benefits of the treatment and legally agree to accept those risks. www.harthosp.org/cancer/glossary.html

the process of obtaining a patient's permission for a procedure after the patient and doctor have discussed the risks, benefits, and alternatives of the procedure and the patient understands them. www.fda.gov/cdrh/phakic/glossary.html

A written agreement by the program participants to voluntarily participate in an evaluation or study after having been advised of the purpose of the study, the type of the information being collected, and how information will be used. www.ojp.usdoj.gov/BJA/evaluation/glossa ... sary_i.htm

The process in which a person learns key facts about a clinical trial or research study and then agrees voluntarily to take part or decides against it. This process includes signing a form that describes the benefits and risks that may occur if the person decides to take part.
www.cancercare.mb.ca/CIO/cio_glossary.shtml

The voluntary verification of a patient's willingness to participate in a clinical trial, along with the documentation thereof. This verification is requested only after complete, objective information has been given about the trial, including an explanation of the study's objectives, potential benefits, risks and inconveniences, alternative therapies available, and of the subject's rights and responsibilities in accordance with the current revision of the Declaration of Helsinki.
www.wcctrials.com/glossary.HTM

An individual willingly agrees to participate in an activity after first being advised of the risks and benefits. Source : Human Genome Project Information www.genomecanada.ca/GCglossaire/glossaire/index.asp

The permission granted by a participant in a research study (including medical research) after he/she has received comprehensive information about the study. This is a statement of trust between the institution performing the research procedure and the person (eg, a patient) on whom the research procedures are to be performed. This includes the type of protection available to people considering entering a drug trial. ...
www.amfar.org/cgi-bin/iowa/bridge.html

the ongoing dialogue between researchers and participants that addresses patient concerns and questions and ensures patient protection throughout the trial www.gene.com/gene/pipeline/trial-education/glossary.jsp

Before patients make the decision to participate in a clinical trial, they are given detailed information about the study, including what treatments will be tested, the possible side effects and the time commitment required.
www.seattlecca.org/patientsandfamilies/ ... itions.htm

The process of learning key facts about a clinical trial before participating, including: www.mdsupport.org/glossary.html

legally required procedure to ensure that a patient knows about the potential risks and benefits of a treatment before it is started.
www.lymphomainfo.net/lymphoma/glossary.html

The process by which a healthcare provider gives a patient information, including pros and cons, about a potential new treatment; when a person is entering a clinical trial, that person must sign a document with this information, thereby providing "informed consent."
www.thebody.com/hivnews/aidscare/dec97/pullout.html

An agreement obtained voluntarily from a patient for the performance of specific medical, surgical or research procedures after the material risks and benefits of these procedures and their alternatives have been fully explained in non-technical terms.
medliabilitypa.org/docs/index.php

A person's voluntary agreement, based upon adequate knowledge and understanding of relevant information, to participate in research or to undergo a diagnostic, therapeutic, or preventive measure. In giving informed consent, subjects may not waive or appear to waive any of their legal rights, or release or appear to release the investigator, the sponsor, the institution or agents thereof from liability for negligence.
www.virginia.edu/vprgs/irbsbsterminology.html

Consent by a patient to undergo treatment with an inves tigational agent after information is provided about the risks and possible side effects of the treatment, and contacts for additional information
cancernetwork.com/myths/colon/Col10.htm

Disclosure of a certain amount of information to the patient about the proposed treatment and the attainment of the patient's consent, which must be competent, understanding, and voluntary. www.dphilpotlaw.com/html/glossary.html

Written consent that is freely given after information has been received and understood. www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/media/releases/ ... _34bk8.htm

when appropriate information is provided in order to enable patients to make decisions which reflect their own values. Health professionals subscribe to the values of non-directive counselling and informed consent, in order that patients can make decisions which are best for them, on the basis of full and balanced information. ... www.antenataltesting.info/glossary.html

Person's agreement to allow something to happen, such as a medical procedure, that is based on full disclosure of the facts necessary to make an intelligent decision. www.edgarsnyder.com/resources/terms/i.html

consent by a patient to undergo a medical or surgical treatment or to participate in an experiment after the patient understands the risks involved wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Informed consent is a legal condition whereby a person can be said to have given consent based upon a full appreciation and understanding of the facts and implications of any actions, with the individual being in possession of all of his faculties (not mentally retarded or mentally ill), and his judgment not being impaired at the time of consenting (by sleepiness, intoxication by alcohol or drugs, other health problems, etc.).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informed_consent

Post subject: The FDA won't go bankrupt!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:12 am 

Well the FDA won't go bankrupt because they are a government agency... but this agency certainly deserves more scrutiny from congress and the public as they are not acting as the first line of defense against public health threats that they really should be.

The FDA seems to put up roadblocks to good things and bless the crap. People get hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:40 pm 

I have this DVD. Recently I saw that it was on youtube. It's awesome.

This part is fascinating, how the eyes develop in the womb... the words that get cut off at the end are "in that instant you had sight"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng4gkBk4cuc

then watch the next one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBeJK76k4y0

You might want to watch them all.