Exposing the LASIK Scam

One Surgeon at a Time
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Patient abandonment thread - tell us about your surgeon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:22 pm 

TotallyScrewed brought up the topic of surgeon abandonment of patients with refractive surgery complications... an all-too common complaint:

Quote:
If I have any words of advice for prospective refractive surgery patients it is this: Expect to be abandoned if you have complications. Refractive surgery is the only branch of "medicine" that allows patient abandonment as part of the standard of care.

I was abandoned by my surgeon LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD of Duke University. His excuse for cancelling my next follow-up was something to the effect that a good physician-patient relationship was based on trust. (?) In a previous visit he told me that my treatment zone was adequate for my pupil size. I replied that it was the effective optical zone that had to be adequate for my pupil size, and that he KNEW it. He had no reply for that one! I have posted an image of my undersized effective optical zone elsewhere on this site:

http://lasikflap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127

Here is a link to an article posted by a doctor who describes the effect of such undersized effective optical zones on vision:

http://www.lasermyeye.org/keratoscoop/columns/lonedog/lonedog31may2003.html

Perhaps LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD of Duke University could benefit from this article?

Please share your patient abandonment story!

Last edited by Scientist on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: not lasik related
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:37 pm 

All that Dr. Anand Ramachandran of lasik plus had to say was, "it's not related to the lasik, maybe you should see a neurologist". A total wash of his hands of it. My only test on this follow up was a snellan chart. I'm sure they hoped I would fade away and the next victim could step up. I actually found the answer myself, then found a caring doctor who understands it and we are trying to correct my corneal distortions, nearsightedness, farsightedness and induced astigmatism with contacts.

Post subject: Unprofessional behavior by LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:58 pm 

lasick, your surgeon was obviously... completely wrong about your condition and should have known that you needed more than a Snellen exam (really only good for prescribing glasses). Sounds like he was more interested in covering his behind legally than helping to fix the problems he caused with your vision. Thanks for sharing his name so that other potential 'customers' can be forwarned.

Anyone else have anything to report about surgeon behavior that was less than professional?

My surgeon, LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD of Duke University, not only mocked me for bringing my mother with me to an appointment to his staff, he had the poor judgement to do so nearby where he could easily be overheard.

LASIK surgeon Dr. Terry Kim, MD should try going through life with corneas as botched as the ones he gave me. I know a former marine who is a legally blind LASIK casualty - he took his mother with him to the same clinic. I wonder if he was also mocked for doing so.

Last edited by Scientist on Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Disgusting lasik surgeons
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:37 pm 

Another reason not to have lasik is that surgeons usually don't care and take no responsability for the damage they cause. LASIK is flawed and the surgeons make things worse with lack of remorse :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:10 am 

I've heard a lot of adjectives to describe LASIK surgeons, but 'remorseful' is not one of them.

My surgeon did not accept responsibility for what he did to me, even though my pupils were mismeasured and he didn't double check or verify that the measurements were done correctly.

After LASIK when I complained about my night vision, he said it took one patient up to 12 months for his night vision to improve. I think he was just trying to stall for time while the clock was running on the statute of limitations.

Every one of my concerns was downplayed. They kept telling me to give it time. I'll never forget leaving that office in tears on several occasions.

If they cared, how could they do this to people?

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:13 am 

That's another thing to hate about the whole lasik business. I call it 'business' because it is not medicine - just a money maker for greedy, careless surgeons. LASIK itself is flawed and the surgeons make things worse with their lack of remorse.

Post subject: Broken Eyes...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:05 am 

Broken Eyes,

When I read your response to this post it sounded very familiar to me. My "butcher" has also said that it takes 12 months for my night vision to fully regain itself. Uh yeah, ok,.....it's just magically going to happen. I knew they were stalling for time. I too leave in tears with no help from them. I cant even get out of them what my vision is at, facts, statistics, etc. I am going to request for a written copy of my medical file tomorrow. But, I feel so abandoned by them....I feel your pain, and I'm sorry you are going through this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:59 pm 

NorCalMrs,

It's been over six years for me. I've done a lot of healing in that time. I'm doing ok. Thanks for your kind words. I am the one who feels YOUR pain.

((((((HUG)))))))

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato

Post subject: Patient abandonment of damaged patients the rule
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:37 am 

I think abandonment of patients with complications is the rule rather than the exception. I know now that my LASIK surgeon, Dr. Terry Kim, MD was less than helpful to another of his casualties.

And I have heard similar stories over and over again from other patients.